Agnostic.com

13 4

Virtually every agnostic lives like an atheist, living completely irreligious lives

Dennis Prage

AbimbolaAina 3 Dec 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As a nullifidian (a person having no faith or religious belief), I resemble that remark! 😉

What's an irreligious life? Is that someone who doesn't believe in religion but is still kind compassionate and altruistic or a murderer who goes to church each week for absolution? The term is meaningless.

Did you mean Dennis Prager ?. You may not be aware but there is a group for quotations

Ok

So...why are you stating the obvious?

I'm an agnostic atheist. I have no knowledge of any god, and believe in zero gods.

Dear Dennis Prager. I am an agnostic atheist and I live a completely irreligious life. Now I hope you are happy because I know I am.

Generalizations are stupid, and this one is dumber than that....

Pissed on a newbie you are triple his age.... blame radio tv cult liar DENNIS PRAGEr.... thankyou @AmibolaAina for alerting us to our enemies....some of whom are sour puss in our midst

Good for them.

Generalizing labels is futile, especially when offering no proof of what is posted, non believers do not need labels at all.

I can't agree. One thing i have learnt in recent years is that the term agnostic covers a very wide group of people, from some who state their agnosticism well and are on a similar irreligious plane as atheists, to those agnostics who hang on to a lot of religious folly and pseudo religion but no longer technically call themselves religious. As an atheist, when someone tells me they are agnostic, I remain wary until I can gauge what they mean by that. A give-away to me is when an agnostic says, 'I'm agnostic but, although, however, etc or some other qualifying conjunction of contrast. The assumption that all agnostics live completely irreligious lives is not one I would make.

To be fair, none of us know what anyone means by 'agnostic' OR 'atheist' without asking questions.

@JeffMurray while that is true, generally, with the occasional exception, atheists fall into a recognisable spectrum of positions, on religion, and on science and related. There are exceptions, but generally I find this to be the case. Agnostics? Hmm not so much.

@David1955 Do atheists make an assertive claim there is no god or do they simply lack a belief in any god?

@JeffMurray Depends, the two types of atheist are usually called, soft and hard atheists. Though soft atheists could also be defined as being on the agnostic spectrum.

Any word, ter or label can be co-opted.
But when discussing concepts and ideas we need to have a clear definition, or at least work with the original definition. Otherwise in any discussion we will be stuck in discussing the terms and not the discussion itself.
Mis-using labels is common, that are even people that call themselves atheists just because they are not christians, or even because they are not part of an organized christian church...
If you start looking at how people use the term instead of its definition, any discussion will stop on the swamp of semantics...

@Fernapple @Pedrohbds
You explaining that is precisely my point. I know that, but I was asking the question simply to get him to start to explain proving my point that 'atheist' needs to be expounded on for the reader/listener to really know what you mean by it just like 'agnostic'. Hell, most definitions you look up for 'atheist' include both of those things.

@JeffMurray there are a wide variety of beliefs and actions within the non- theist community. Just like there is a wide variety within the theist community. Not sure what’s the point of name nuances? Why does it matter?

@JeffMurray Yes but David has been around a bit, you have to assume he has already been there many times.

@Fernapple True. I was just making an observation that not knowing what they mean is not limited to agnosticism.

Yes, the difference is merely in the definition of what does "to know" mean, and if a non falsifiable statement has meaning.
Agnostic (in the original concept) simply does not care to believe or not in something that can't be tested or verified.
Other than that the actions and day to day routine is "as if" there is no supernatural stuff until a proposition that can be tested arise.

r

skado Level 9 Dec 2, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:557430
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.