Agnostic.com

4 2

LINK Did George H. W. Bush Really Say Atheists Shouldn’t Be Considered Citizens? | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

With the death of President George H. W. Bush, I’ve seen a number of atheists circulating an alleged quotation of his for obvious reasons. As the story goes, in 1987, Bush said, “I don’t know that atheists should be regarded as citizens, nor should they be regarded as patriotic. This is one nation under God.”

snytiger6 9 Dec 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

He was religious. I never knew him but I think he knew that "one nation under god" was added by Eisenhower to take a stand against communism.

It was added by Congress when Eisenhower was President because of Joseph McCarthy & his pernicious witch-hunting!

While we're at it let's go drudge up things that other people said in history. I wonder what Henry VIII said. Ffs

why not? got something against history? THIS particular bit of history happened during my lifetime at any rate and may have influence people who then influenced my standard of living. why NOT mention it?

g

@genessa what does it change? Oh yeah nothing. He's passed.

@redhog ir may change our perception of him as a person, which may change our perception of his role in history, which may change our perception of our present. or shall we discount all history (or is it just recent history)?

g

@genessa the fact is what he said is irrelevant. Why does it matter what someone said 30 freaking years ago. Its irrelevant

@redhog then pay him no mind. others may disagree with you and wish to know what he said. how does that injure you?

g

@genessa seems to me youre just looking to cause confrontation here so I'm ending this.

@redhog rofl yeah i am the confrontational one. right. whatever.

g

Even US Presidents and VPs have, and should have, freedom of expression. However:
[en.wikipedia.org]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:557544
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.