Agnostic.com

2 0

LINK Is Trump Trying to Stage a Coup? - The Atlantic

Good read.

"In Turkey, the leader of the 1980 coup, the one that my mom had been warned about, was Kenan Evren. He was a military-academy classmate of many who had taken part in a particularly incompetent coup attempt in the early ’60s that failed spectacularly—its missteps included tanks being accidentally sent to a neighborhood in Ankara at the wrong time. But the coup Evren led many years later was anything but farcical: Hundreds of thousands were detained, and more than 100 were tortured to death. A new, restrictive constitution was enacted, under repressive conditions. The failure of multiple attempted coups in the ’60s was not a reason to dismiss the risk of a subsequent coup—but a warning that such an effort might well succeed in more competent hands. Indeed, there was a “memorandum coup” in 1971, which resulted in a change of government after the military issued threats, and the full military takeover in 1980."

1of5 8 Dec 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I guess its a good thing he himself doesn't have the mental acuity to do it, and it seems like very few of his loyalists are anything but ideologues, without the insider knowledge or alliances needed with the greater power structure. However its not hard to imagine the same processes that allowed DT to gain power in the face of our supposed political system of checks and balances, won't give forth a megalomaniac colonel or three, and that might be the end of the US. Especially if you add defunding the military in the face of economic collapse, and/or IMF type austerity

Fortunately he attracts loyalty in inverse proportion to competence. We won't get so lucky next time.

But if you look at the numbers in the article they're basically doing it already, Trumps only "fault" is that he's so blatant so early.

Of course he is! There was never any doubt in my mind! Him and his cult are hell bent on turning this country into a South American disaster of Fascism.

What i didn't expect was the Republicans spinlessness in standing up to him. Quite disgusting.

@K9Kohle789 yup, they do.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:558882
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.