Agnostic.com

24 13

I rather spend 2 years in jail than having to go to church on sundays for the rest of my life.

luks 3 Dec 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm old enough that 2 years in jail is a much bigger chunk of my life than an hour a week. Besides, I'm positive I can get kicked out of any church pretty damn quick, not so sure about being kicked out of jail.

1of5 Level 8 Dec 9, 2020

I always consider my visits to any house of worship as if I were a cultural anthropologist. Most encounters of late have been funeral services, which makes the cognitive dissonance for me amplified.

@WilliamCharles agreed.

This is the first year in 3 that I haven't lost a good friend. Got a buddy going through chemo for a brain tumor, but he has a good chance of recovering and an even better chance to make it till 2021, at least.

Is that the only binary option you could come up with?

Rorschach: "You're Locked In Here With Me" - Watchmen

I'd have no reason to worry about going to church. While I probably wouldn't like the environment, I'm pretty sure they'd have a hard time finding a church that would want me there every Sunday. It would become my purpose to de-convert as many children as I could while I was there. By the time I died they'd all be sitting around talking about humanist concepts and the implausibility of gods.

When I was practicing, I used to fall asleep in church. Pretty sure I can do that again now.

Go to church, take a music player and earphones and enjoy listening to your music.

When I was a kid, my parents sent me and my three bothers to church...we had no choice. Along with being an Asperger's syndrome person, I also had attention deficit that made the church service seem like it lasted an eternity. I was bored beyond what I could tolerate, would wake up each Sunday mornings with a tension headache. I am still resentful to this day for the forced indoctrination that I sensed was bullshit early on.

I would stand at the back of the church and call out all the logical fallacies and lies that came from the pulpit.

Welcome to the asylum. Enjoy your stay.

No one can force me to go to church, ever.
As far as prison goes, they'd have to catch me first.

😉

You prefer to get it from a fellow prisoner than from a priest?

Probably easier for an adult to fight off a priest than a prisoner (or prison guard)

If those were my only 2 choices I’d take church. Jail scares me!! Also I wouldn’t pay attention in church, I’d read a book or something else

Luckily for all of us, it hasn't come to that choice just yet.

Someday it might, if evangelicals got to decide.

Pass on both

I think that yous should re think that. One can misbehave in church but all hell will break out if you do it in jail.

As a child, my mother dragged me to church every Sunday. The experience was immensely boring.

Welcome. Why should you go to church? I definitely don't go, unless there's a special occasion like a wedding or so.

Or funeral.

I'd suggest neither, welcome to the site.

You would have to live 337 more years for an hour a week to equal 2 years. That alone should make it an easy decision. Not to mention doing it in small increments, doing it not incarcerated, not losing your job/gf/house, not making it difficult to get a job as an ex con, the [slightly] lower probability of getting raped, etc, etc, etc should make it clear.

Very logical, and thank you for kindly doing the math.

Do the Math and learn to sleep during loud speeches.

No. You wouldn’t.

ha that is a believers def of "Church" anyway, wadr

Are you sure about that?

Have you ever been arrested?
Have you ever been held in county lockup after your arrest?
Have you ever been convicted of a crime and sent to prison?

If you are in jail you probably will be going to church on Sundays. You might get out sooner.

I would rather not be punished for something that doesn't harm anyone but I want to do.

Going to church should be a personal decision and NOT a punishable offense.

The freedom to choose is a powerful gift. You don't want to go to church and you go to prison where the church will be the first place you run to. You will need protection of some kind and religion is neutral and the church is a sanctuary. Otherwise you could be forced into participating in a very different society.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:559440
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.