Agnostic.com

10 1

LINK Should Atheists Tell Their Kids About Santa Claus? | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

Should atheists tell their children Santa is real because it’s fun and harmless… or should we avoid the lie because it’s a low-key form of promoting religious ideology?

snytiger6 9 Dec 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Just tell em the truth. Santa was a clever marketing gimmick, invented by nineteenth-century department stores and toy manufacturers, to stimulate toy sales.
Kind of like 'Flo' in the Progressive Insurance commercials.

Santa really has nothing to do with Christianity. Neither does the Easter bunny. See, we ancient Pagans had the coolest celebrations way before the desert god took us over.

sure, why not get em started on belief in the supernatural early lol

Why on Earth not tell the about Santa after all the Santa story is way way OLDER than Christianity and IS NOT based on religion but on the ancient hope and promise of better things to come AFTER the harshness of winter in the colder, icier climes.
Kids eventually work out for themselves that Santa has always been Mum and Dad, and IF they are anything like my daughter, when she worked it out aged just 6 years of age, she and I sat down and had a great laugh about, mainly at me wandering around the house on Xmas Eve dressed in funny red suit, etc, and a couple of pillows stuffed up the front of the suit as well.
Another example is that in 1974 and 75 I went to the Paediatric Ward of the Hospital where I was working dressed as Santa with 3 very buxom 'Fairies' and 1 slightly embarrassed 'Elf' ( but his embarrassment is another story btw...LOL), the kids there were either sick or injured, away from home and family, ages ranged between 3 and 4 years old right through to 10 and 12 year olds, and they were thrilled that 'Santa' had made a special extra trip BEFORE Xmas Day just for them.
For days after that little 'surprise Santa visit, those kids had brightened up no end, so, imo, a LITTLE harmless fantasy is a great thing for kids and often grown-ups alike.
Just because we ARE Atheists it DOES NOT mean we HAVE to be Party Poopers as well.

100% agree, it’s an innocent age and learning the truth is like a right of passage.

I would tell children about Santa only if they asked about Santa. As for TV and movies right now I am avoiding this nonsense and trying my best not to vomit.

You mean the ANNUAL onslaught of emetic Xmas movies has already started over your way?
Thankfully, ours have not yet begun. ( Knock on wood)

Why are we suddenly lumping in Santa Claus as a religious figure? What's next Tooth Fairy? Easter Bunny? Krampus?

Smurfs and trolls maybe.

And maybe some rotten snozwangers and vermicious Knids? LOL

@SeaRay215ex damn it not the snozwangers

@redhog LOL haven’t you seen Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory? I only repeated what he said.

I think the question is about teaching an imaginary character as if it were true as many parents do. It is comparable to religion in that they do the same thing. Only with religion teh parents believe in the story, and with Santa they don't. It is a story that conditioned children to believe in magic and make believe, which makes it easier for them to buy into religion when they are adults.

@snytiger6 totally disagree on it being a gateway like you describe

@SeaRay215ex its been so long I can't even remember when I saw it lol

I don't see Santa as being religious but as a tradition that is based on religion but not.

When my , at three, asked if Santa was real, I told him the truth.

I did too as I do not believe in lying to children (or anyone for that matter). When my dad found out he claimed that I ruined their childhood.

I doesn't hurt telling children about santa. How old we you when you figure out there wasn't any santa? I was around ten when I figure it out.

I was 9. But I started suspecting it 2 years before. On 3 presents I found price tags from a nearby department store (Corvettes) remember them? Then 2 years later I saw her go into the garage with a big plastic bag with several of the things I asked “Santa” for. And of course it was never the same anymore........But it’s all good!!!

Not only Atheists but for everyone, it might be appropriate to tell children about Santa, but only if Santa is presented as a "Fairy Tale" story the same as any other fairy tale story. I will say the same thing about God(s).

I remember as children we'd get presents form "Santa". As adults my sister and I instead tag presents as beign from the cats. It's still fun and nobody thinks it real.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:561792
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.