Agnostic.com

22 4

Would you trust a Naturopathic doctor as a primary physician?

"Licensed naturopathic doctors are primary health care doctors trained to use natural methods in preventing and treating disease. ..

NDs use holistic and nontoxic approaches to therapy with a strong emphasis on disease prevention and wellness. Naturopathic doctors do not use synthetic drugs, nor do they perform major surgery."

[healthcommunities.com]

• 11 votes
  • 21 votes
  • 12 votes
silvereyes 8 Nov 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't like the term "alternative medicine." You know what they call alternative medicine that has been proven to work? MEDICINE!

Agree..actually the term Alternative was made up by big pharma to discredit and put a negative name on natural medicines..so called alternative medicine has been around for thousands of years and conventional modern medicine has only been around maybe a few hundred years if that...

Whether a medicine has been around for 1000 years or 10 does not define it as "natural." All effective medicines are chemical in nature as is life itself.

Agreed! And there are other treatments that were used for hundreds+ years that were toxic such Mercury, which was used to treat syphilis, and bloodletting which was used for most anything. We hunt and peck the remedies that worked but that can't be used as a final judgment for all treatments, organic or not.

Nearly all medicines come from highly purified and concentrated natural compounds, or some synthetic derivative of what was once a natural compound. There is still a HUGE amount not known about most chemicals, more specifically combinatorial chemistry, that there is reason to think a naturopath might have just as good cures for illnesses as current medicine. BUT personally I don't go to naturopaths just because there is a lot of quackery and I have never seen consistent results come from going to one. My mind is open, my body is not so willing to risk it!

Perfect response.

For less serious and time sensitive illnesses, I would attempt natural methods first and then move to more invasive methods if neccessary.

For diseases such as cancer, I would use a combination of both. Chemo and/ or surgery first to hit the cancer hard, and then natural methods to stabilize body chemistry and allow my immune system to begin operating normally again.

Not as a primary, but as a supplementary, there may be value. For example, if I had cancer, I'd find out radiation and chemo options and make a concrete decision, then perhaps seek out a naturopathic doctor for symptom relief and stress management. There is old wisdom in this world, but there is also young intelligence and I believe the iterative nature of learning grants certain advantages to the more modern methods.

Right on! These doctors do it all. But I don't think homeopathy medicine works. You can have 1 tenth percent of 1 percent active ingredient to make a prescription. You wiuld probably get 1000 times that in a teaspoon of vinegar or sea water.

Homeopathy is absolute garbage, but the few naturopathic doctors I know accept that and simply appreciate a more holistic approach. A large part of it for them is nutrition and stress management and those are things I can get behind. One of my friend's favorite facts to throw out there is that "western medicine doesn't know what chemical in coffee makes you poop, but the holistic approach let's us tell you that coffee makes you poop anyway"

For some of the reasons already mentioned, I prefer to do it in reverse: have a conventional primary care doctor and consult with non-traditional methods/caregivers as needed. There are traditional doctors who are open to whole body lifestyles and therapies, and not all synthetic meds should be discounted simply because they're synthetic, just as all natural options shouldn't be accepted carte blanche.

I don't trust western medicine being that its focus is on the symptom, not the disease. There is much they just don't know that homeopaths have known for centuries. Western medicine looks to treat not to cure making you dependent on the treatment for life. Sometimes, a combination of both is best but I'd start with the naturopath.

SamL Level 7 Nov 28, 2017

Unfortunately, our medical care has been corrupted by Rule #1. "A patient cured is a customer lost." Medical research, especially that conducted by Big Pharma, should be nationalized. If someone were to accidently come across a cure for AIDS or cancer that cost only $1 I doubt we would ever hear of it. The for-profit incentive must be removed from our medical care!

Other.
I have a disease that marijuana can help.
I would use cannabis oils or edibles to help treat it.
Other than that I'll go with the "real" doc's.

It's such a shame that marijuana can't be prescribed by your doctor! Hopefully that will be remedied soon.

@Lauren I'm in a legal medical marijuana state, but I asked and not one of my doctors will hook me up with it. One freaked when I asked him, I guess he'd rather give me a pile of pills. My other doctors all work for the same hospital and it's against policy there. Anyway just for fun I looked at the procedure on getting it. It's a long application process that needs to be renewed every year and it's big $$$.

I’m getting tired of writing out long, informative comments, to only have it disappear when trying to submit it.

I just wrote out two different posts on botanical medicine and the bs we get for trying to use natural aid.

If you want to discuss this with me (I’ve been practicing for 25+ years), message me. Right now I’m pretty pissed off.

No, I went back. I don’t see them. 😟

Unles...do you see multiple posts from me in this thread?

Certainly not

stay away from all doctors and live a good life

100% yes even if they don't have certification...as long as they are knowledgeable..I am my own doctor...I heal myself...the medical establishment is corrupt and a for profit business..backed by big pharma

I totally agree that modern medicine has been corrupted by insurance companies, corporate clinics and Big Pharma. But this is a function of the politics of Big Medicine in our culture. It is not a characteristic of modern medicine itself. Let me know when you cure yourself of diabetes or heart disease. We'll make a fortune!

There is a lot to be said for prevention. I love to cook and though portion control is my biggest problem I only eat real food. Always have. Since I do not own a vehicle I rely on shuttle transport to get to the grocery store. Everybody makes jokes about the huge bags I bring home. But a fresh pineapple takes up more room than a canned one. The fresh ingredients for any entrée will fill a bag whereas a frozen concoction misrepresenting itself as the same thing will fit easily on the bottom of a bag. I have always shopped the perimeter of a grocery store and leave the aisles unvisited but I have diabetes an heart disease. Report back when you are in your sixties and tell me how it is going!

I would judge the individual doctor on her own merits rather than judging a class of doctors.

skado Level 9 Nov 28, 2017

I would like to know what kind of education a naturopath gets

I think as a primary choice, this might work well, but I would need for them to be open to synthetics.

I am 60 years old and have used natural remedies since my kids were young. I also believe in homeopathy and use certain ones, though I have never seen a homeopathic DR. I still go to a regular western doctor, but I prefer natural remedies over prescriptions ! I have 5 or 6 books on natural healing.

Black seed oil cures cancer and many other medical issues..colloidal silver is a natural antibiotic that helps you never get a cold or flu..also heals a cut wicked fast..I use both these natural medicines on myself and my pets..black seed oil cured my dog of cancer

What makes "black seed oil" natural as opposed to any anti-cancer agent used by doctors which probably derive from plant sources as well? Colloidal silver sounds like just another chemical agent as well.

I believe they can give great advice. Most of it your can find on the internet. The medicine no.

I chose other. Didn't Jobs die from only having a Naturopathic doctor. I'd cheat and go to a 'normal' doctor every so often just to be on the safe side.

Steve Jobs died of pancreatic cancer. One reference mentioned he had that diagnosis in 2004 and he died in 2011.That is a very long time to survive with that type of cancer.6 months from diagnosis might be a more typical expectation. Whatever type of care he got did him good I think

Oh hell no! Ask Steve Jobs how that worked out for him. You can't? I know, because HE'S DEAD!

I kind of like the comment "If it works it's called medicine." There are plenty of practices outside of mainstream western medicine that have been proven objectively to work. There are also many 'alternative medicines' that have been shown to be useless or even dangerous. The same can be said of mainstream western medicine. The point is doing the research and experiments in the proper way and using that information to prevent and cure illness.

Trust? That's all i use, Naturopaths, licensed or not.
No allopathy and no allopathic medicine.

Humans, like all other life forms, are biochemical and electrical machines, nothing more nor less. These machines, whether simple or complex, are constantly under attack by viruses, bacteria and other micro-organisms who, in the course of their own life cycles, seek to turn us into rot. There is certainly something to be said for prevention and wellness but, often, intervention is required. Naturopathy denies our essential being as machines that require constant maintenance with the same chemical tools that sustain us. As we learn more and more about the processes that keep us alive we learn more how to effectively intervene when needed. Naturopathy is a stoned, naïve hippy's la-la land approach to health. It's OK until you need your gall bladder removed. For a parent to subject their child to it is as abusive as subjecting the child to faith healing. Both deny the need for real medical care.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5624
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.