Agnostic.com

13 18

I might have posted this last year, but it isn't as if anyone would remember!

Happy Solstice: Hail the Rebirth of the Sun.

As the "holy" days approach (and some are finishing), the inevitable admonishment that "Jesus is the reason for the season" is often repeated.

But folks, Jesus is not the reason for the season, and he belongs to a group of dying and resurrecting deities who signal the end of the year and the birth of the new.

In short, the winter solstice is the reason for the season.

The winter solstice is the shortest day of the year, and symbolically speaking, it marks the "death" of a current year. However, the next day is a minute longer and the year is reborn. Many cultures held celebrations during this time of year, from Saturnalia to Christianity; they honored different gods, but they all served the same purpose. Mithras was born on December 25 (on which the solstice fell under the Julian calendar); Mithras predates Jesus and if it had not been mystery religion which only men could join (and only certain men), we might be celebrating the birth of Mithras this weekend.

But the purpose(s) . . . ostensibly, the purpose of winter celebrations are to honor the births of deities and to welcome the new year, but even more, the celebrations are to remind ourselves that while winter is here, spring will come. We eat and make merry to defy the cold. We pause for remembrance of the harvest past, and we look forward to the next harvests. It is hope springing eternal in the human breast and for many, hope is all that they have.

It has also become a time of hypocrisy, remembering the poor when "we" try to forget them during the rest of the year. Take a walk through Walmart and see how many people look jovial. And to those who still insist that "Jesus is the reason," Xmas is a secular holiday; as a continuation of traditions that had nothing to do with Christ, it is a syncretism of those traditions.

But enough bah-humbugging. Happy Yule, Happy Kwanzaa, late Happy Hanukkah, Merry Christmas, have a Good Winter, but most of all:

"HAIL THE REBIRTH OF THE SUN."

Gwendolyn2018 9 Dec 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Worth reading a second time.

BDair Level 8 Dec 24, 2020

Pagans need a voice! We need a mainstream show or podcast. Blessed Be

It's an astronomical time of year.

May this Solstice and turning of the
wheel bring you love, peace, and
good fortune in the coming year.
Let us welcome the returning sun with
Hope and Joy.
May you never thirst!

We have much to look forward to in this coming year.

Even if you did post it last year, I think it's good you posted it again--and will be for every Solstice that follows until it becomes common knowledge. And happiness to you and all.

It always cracked me up that "Jesus is the reason for the season." To go with that is a super brain washing.

Happy Yule! Happy Holidays!

The new year begins.....March towards summer!

At the winter solstice the sun reaches it's nadir,as viewed from the northern hemisphere, and then appears to be static in it's trajectory for three days before rising in the sky again. Although this phenomenon is not directly connected to the Jesus story the rising on the third day probably has a connection

@Gwendolyn2018 I don't think it is directly connected but sun worshipping predates Christianity by thousands of years and the winter solstice was very important as can be seen by the number of stone circles that celebrate it. I was a bit dubious about the three day static sun but I have checked it and it is correct.

@Gwendolyn2018 Well he had to go somewhere in those three days;
I have read Kelsey Graves book and a couple by Acharya S and a few others and the list of resurrected Saviour gods is fairly lengthy.
Speak to most Christians and they are completely unaware of this. It is almost as if the details of previous resurrected saviours is being kept from them 😉

Same to you!

Just awesome!!
To you as well!!!

A happy Yule to you too.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:562428
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.