Agnostic.com

22 2

Do you tell people you don't believe in god? Or let them find out?

#god
Runabout1952 4 Apr 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If they don't throw their beliefs in my face, I won't have to resort to doing the same.

What kills me is when they say, "Thank the Lord" for something done by a human being they can thank personally.

It rarely come up. I don’t mention it because it’s usually not relevant.

Only if they ask or say something stupid thats religious to me.

It really depends upon the situation. I don't go around announcing it.
If the subject comes up, however, I don't hide it. I'm am openly atheist.

The problem is that many people are to afraid to address the issue of religion in this country. Religion is like a disease, the more you ignore it, the more it spreads. There are many ultra conservative right wing extremists that use religion as way to push their propaganda. For rulers religion has always been an effective tool to manipulate the masses. The only thing in this universe that requires your faith is a conman trying to exploit your ignorance. This is one of the reasons why faith is by far the most dishonest position it is possible to hold. The way you talk to believers about their belief is absolutely paramount. Never attack them or they will walk away feeling honored to be persecuted in the name of their god. Remember, religion demands that a believer not deny it, doubt it, or question it.

Pays to be tactful. I choose not to at family gatherings. Who really needs to explain that one to grandma? She'll be fine if left in the dark. At football games I like to scream it out everytime the other team scores.

There’s still a bit of a closet for us since we are “worse than the devil” so for me I don’t say it loudly and proudly that I’m atheist but I also do not openly participate in prayer before food either nor bible talk. And as a firm believer in telling the full on truth, if they ask I’m happy to tell but always seems like asking by theists is not on the menu.

I Usually say that I'm a devout atheist if the subject comes up. I like the irony.

I tell them I am Non Religious, most are to dumb to know what that means. With siblings I had one atheist and one protestant. After not going to church from age 7 to my mid 50 she pressed me to go to church. I pointed out after over 40 years of not going she should recognize my view of religion were closer to my Atheist Sibling. She said she never considered that I was not religious. This tells me I need to tell some people.

Only if they ask - I live in a religious area people get off to mass every day- I don't see them being any kinder than the ones who don't go .quite the reverse actually.

If it comes up, I tell them.

For a religious peron religion may be a large partof their life to them, but to an atheist, not believing is hardly life encompassing.

I say nothing. Most people don't care, frankly. Those that do either want to know because they are in a vulnerable place in life or they want to be negative. I assess and act accordingly. In the final analysis, it's my business and I don't have to trust people to act intelligently on my lack of faith. That's one thing I'm fairly sure of: most people will actively work against their own self interest if only because they lack awareness of things.

I am only open about my views to a very few people I can trust.

Let them find out. It's generally irrelevant anyway to most social interactions. The only thing most people care about is, do I have integrity? Is my word my bond? Can I be trusted? Do I pay my bills and taxes and respect private property and show up on time and live quietly and orderly with my neighbors?

Those are the things that actually matter.

To some people, "Is Mordant part of my tribe or not?" might be burning question, especially in the Bible Belt, but in practice, I don't encounter it.

I mind my own business on most things. Please go thou and do likewise if you arein my vicinity!

Research: Street Epistemology.

I don't broadcast it because it no one's business but my own. If they ask I can just tell them that I am spiriitual or bohemian is my other favorite.

I tell them all of the time. I grew up Catholic. What a racket!

I don't hide it, but I don't make a point of telling either. Once that is mentioned, many people hear nothing else you say.

Only if they start getting in my business or assuming I believe as they do and that I'll join in.

Ahahahaha. Can't resist. There's a famous joke about that. Maybe not PC

"-How do you tell someone is a vegan or an atheist within 5 seconds of meeting them?

• You don't. They will fucking tell you."

Bit lame? Stupid joke made me self conscious ever since.

kng01 Level 5 Apr 12, 2018

I take a guilty pleasure in scathing antiteistic retorts, but I'm sensitive to those close to me and try not to rail to hard.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:56293
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.