Agnostic.com

7 4

LINK Half the South Thinks the U.S. Was Founded as an “Explicitly Christian” Nation | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

When the Treaty of Tripoli was signed in 1796, President John Adams made clear that “the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.” But it’s just a minor treaty, right? Well, the Constitution effectively says the same thing. As the saying goes, the word “religion” appears twice in the document, both times preceded by the word “no.” We don’t have religious tests for public office and the government can’t endorse religion (much less a particular one).

snytiger6 9 Dec 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

John Adams was exactly correct. It's hard too convince todays Evangelicals of this. Franklin Graham does not want LGBT people to have any rights.

While many Southerners do feel that way, I'm not so sure that group equals 50%.

I think that with nearly 50% support for trump, from the Evangelicals...that is a pretty good indicator. Seeing that he had so many advisors from that group and still does. I only knew a handful of people back in N Ga, that understood that this Country has a separation of religion and government. From other friends in other areas of the South, they felt the same about the majority of the people they knew. Could be ignorance or indoctrination?

@Freedompath Ummm no it is not a pretty good indicator. To be a good indicator Evangelicals would have to comprise 100% of the Southern population for 50% of the total Southerners to believe the Christian bull. Evangelicals do not represent 100% of the Southern population.

I am from the South, and live in the South (N.C.). I know many people, but I only know one who identifies as an Evangelical.

@Alienbeing I grew up in Ga. And only when I lived near Atlanta did I find non-believers. The majority of the state comprised of small towns are Evangelicals. My daughter lives near Bervard, NC and recently retired from a bank and she was the only person there that was not Evangelical! My friend lives across the state line in SC from my daughter, and almost everyone around her is Evangelical. Granted we are all in the older group. I was making a broad statement, not trying to use real statistics.

@Alienbeing I said 50% of Evangelicals...and I never said the South is/was 100% Evangelicals! But, the majority of Christians believe this Country is a Christian Nation, that was the point I am trying to make. And it is from years living in the middle of them, as almost an outcast! My opinion is based on my experience. Lots of it...because I pay close attention!

@Freedompath I know you said 50% of Evangelicals, and my reply clearly pointed out 50% of Evangelicals is not 50% of the population, which conradicts the first sentence of your first 12/29 reply.

@Alienbeing you need to find another culprit to confuse. Which is clearly your aim!

@Freedompath Forgive me for assuming you understood simple math.

Evangelicals don’t care. It’s all about 3 things.......Themselves, themselves, themselves.

How sad to be encourage to junk your own history, so that someone can get money out of you.

This fact about the ‘Bible Belt,’ believing this is founded as a Christian nation, is something that I have heard in my nearly 80 yrs now! Only now, they seem poised to defend that notion! 👿

As a native southerner, I can say that is the culture of he south -- racist and purportedly Christian. Southerns refuse to recognize the contradiction.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:564445
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.