Agnostic.com

7 8

My friends that know me consider me to be a statistical outlier. I am hopeful that I won’t be so far afield from the bell curve of this group. And while I have many friends, most of them are Christian. Not so much by choice, but because that’s the predominant belief in my area. I respect their beliefs, but I can’t imagine ever having a romantic/loving relationship with anyone of that belief system. There are a myriad number of reasons, here is but one: “A more thorough understanding of evolution thus leads to the inescapable conclusion that the organization and complexity of life looks exactly as you would expect it to if it had evolved by unguided, unplanned, spontaneous ad hoc adaptations. It is simply not possible to reconcile the facts of evolution with a guiding, planning God. Even those who have not had an opportunity to understand evolutionary biology in depth can recognize the manifest reality of nature; as Tennyson wrote, “Nature, red in tooth and claw…. So careless of the single life.” A God who uses evolution to create living creatures can only be thoroughly cruel or indifferent, not to mention inefficient, tinkering, and bungling.”

— Finding Purpose in a Godless World: Why We Care Even If the Universe Doesn't by MD,Lewis, Ralph

Callahan 3 Dec 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

welcome to the Site and Welcome to the world of Reality.

Only five epithets? Personally I don't see religions as being addressed to people that aren't interested (only one of my stances). Logic is big and logic is honesty. To my mind, some religion might be logical but I don't see anyone exemplify that. Are people willing to treat you, and facts of all kinds, with respect? Understanding of all knowledge is poor among almost everybody. If they haven't figured out their religion or their other knowledge well, that may be difficult for us to live with.

I sort of see some clarity in your reasoning here ...I agree SOME believers COULD be logical.... my example for a believer is a simple use of the phrase NATURE ABHORs a vaccuum .... imagine the ultimate BLACK HOLE of all extant matter the alleged gawd creates himself with his gigantic penis expanding over 15 billion light years in all directions....how that all fit into Miriam vagina xmas eve 5 bce on the fake back dated xian calendar yields another extreme metaphor geebush geehobah ghostholes church OF ENGLAND and her queen

Hello, David.
I'm glad you found this site.
Keep posting and consider joing some special interest groups.

Test response.

What did you press after putting your comment? Go? Still not working for me, and you don’t seem to be supplying any new information about how you’re achieving these updates.

@girlwithsmiles enter on the keyboard. There is a sequence of 6 screenshots explaining it to Len on the other posting.

@girlwithsmiles, @linxminx see response to fernapple on "Good morning @ 🙂

I cannot comment on posts at the moment."

@girlwithsmiles

@FrayedBear it’s only giving me a ‘Go’ option on my phone. I took a picture of this on one of the many threads that you have posted your self congratulatory comments about not having this issue on! 🤣
Why you just didn’t leave it at that and stop wasting my time I may never know.

@girlwithsmiles are you like Marje who has just revealed that she is using Apple ipad? I'm on an android now several years old.
You asked for help, I offered solution that works on my phone. If you are so ungracious as to complain don't expect me to urinate on you in the street next time that I see that you are on fire.

I thought I had been blocked or something. Glad to know it's not just me.

@FrayedBear my post was directed to at admin. Feel free to comment, but don’t expect me to give you too much praise for having a different device from me! You are a plonker sometimes. Feel free to keep your urine to yourself 🤣

Welcome to the site...just browse and join in. You’ve made a good start by posting here already and I feel sure you will find us a friendly and welcoming bunch, not a homogeneous group by any means, we display a variety of opinions and preferences and we come from a wide variety of geographical locations throughout the world. My advice...just enjoy and you will fit right in!

Thank you, Marionville. I would be grateful for heterogeneity.

@Callahan I think you will certainly find that here.

Greetings, hello and welcome. 🙂

If the question is, "Can any of you have a romantic relationship with a person of faith?" The answer is no.

In the end such a relationship will turn to bite you.

Right, the fundamental values are starkly different, and sure to create constant friction.

My wife believes ( but never active in any religion.) we get along fine. I think it is the involvement in religion itself that is the issue.

@Canndue I have a feeling that act activity wouldn't be my problem (or the beginning of it anyway). Having someone be able to believe nonsense just seems untenable to me. It would be the same if they believed in conspiracy theories or that Trump was a good president or something.

@JeffMurray I suppose if you are a Red Sox fan, you can’t fathom someone cheering for the Yankees. Doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a beer together....

@Canndue Do you really think those things are the same?
Which sports team you would prefer win which doesn't really matter at all vs. whether or not a country thinks they should help take care of the less fortunate (among many other crucial differences).
-AND-
The rest of your life vs. 5-10 min and you can bail without strings.
Those are two HUGE differences to me.

@JeffMurray I feel it’s all a matter of degree, if you mutually agree that all this crap has less meaning than the relationship, then yes I relegate it to that level. I get it that you can’t get past that, doesn’t make you good, doesn’t make you bad, just makes us different. ✌️

@Canndue Now I'm curious, how much 'crap' can you say has less meaning than the relationship? If your partner hated Jewish people? What if they went to rallies wearing swastikas? What if they casually used the N word in conversation? What if they defended and supported someone who openly bragged about sexually assaulting women?
I think to throw what you said you could get over (supporting different sports teams) and what I said (believing in nonsense and supporting monsters) into the same bucket is drastic. And it's completely unfair to characterize me as someone that "can't get past that" for the sake of love. Sure we all have a different line as you stated, but there is a fundamental difference between a preference for a sports team that means nothing and the implications of the type of person you are or what character you have by doing and supporting the things you do and support. Maybe you'll come back and say you're also fine with all of the above which I'll have a hard time believing (while questioning your morals), but then just ask about progressively more awful things until you finally balk.

@JeffMurray Jeff, you are in the world of extremes, of course nobody would accept those things. But the world is not as black and white as you depict. Not really sure what you are after here, but feels like we are flagellating an equine carcass

@Canndue Except some people do accept those things... Where are you getting your information? I have a uncle that has bought into Q and all the crazy shit they believe and his wife that is of a different religion and not political at all. I'm quite sure they aren't the only ones.
And why are these latest examples "extremes"? Notice, I essentially put one of my examples in both groups. Thinking Trump is a good president and supporting someone who openly bragged about sexually assaulting women. So you can't really claim I "can't get past" something you'd have no problem with because you're so enlightened while at the same time claiming my second group I challenged you with is "extreme" when they contained one of the same things.
Point is, all these things are all on continuums that are prioritized by everyone differently, and it's a little unfair to seemingly phrase your objection to original claim as if you're a bigger person because your continuum is different than mine.

@JeffMurray go back to beginning, you said can’t have a relationship, I said yes offering my marriage as an example. It won’t work in many situations for reasons you pointed out. It can work in some which I’s my point.

@Canndue The implication being: you have to be more enlightened than Jeff... It's cool; I understand what you were saying.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:564615
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.