Agnostic.com

15 7

LINK Why do religious people let god get away with being so horrible? : atheism

r/atheism post about religious people and the problem of evil

Hages 7 Jan 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

just remember, the Bible is the record of the implosion of a theocracy, mmm-kay

Good link. Thanks for sharing.

Simple critical questions: Is religion a good way of knowing things? If prayer worked, would we need a covid-19 vaccine?

Covid-19 is a good test of prayers effectiveness. Lots of people all over the world of many faiths all praying for the same thing. (Spoiler: It had 0 effect on infection and recovery rates.) Defined. Measurable. Done

Probably because to the Faithfools, "God is God is God is God is God............No culpability applies, Believe you MUST, Question you MUST NOT."

I was Christian for 30 years and asked myself this question many times. I was scared of hell so I quickly prayed for forgiveness for asking this question. Now I feel so stupid for doing that.

The answer is that Christians don’t believe god is at fault. It’s the damn devil who does all this evil stuff even though I’m plainly stated in Old Testament that god creates good and evil. Christians claim we are born sinners and deserve death and that we have free will and deserve whatever we get. Kenneth Copeland deserves a billion dollars yet a 3 year old girl deserves cancer who hasn’t done anything wrong.

It’s all bullshit and you have to completely turn off rational thinking to believe it

ok, just so you understand that the Bible does not forward those principles at all, or at least the pov is demonstrably warped; all are forgiven, Yah is not our judge, all go to the same place, and all are judged for their works, iow ezackly how we judge others.

as to Yah being evil, it maybe should be understood that there was a literal law of sin and death then, and parents routinely sacrificed their children to Marduk by burning them alive

hmm, no too different from where we are back to right now i guess huh lol

Gods reflect their believers.

They just say we are such little creatures that we can not understand his master plan. Of course, didn't he supposedly publish his end plan in Revolations?

People are very good at making excuses & justifying what they've already decided on.

Fear and delusion.

Because they're afraid of her.

Faithfools don't read the OT. Faithfools turn a blind eye to the death cause by their god in the OT.

@Hages
Reading the bible made me stop being a christian. All the madness of the OT made me doubt that god was real.

@Hages especially the part about god commanding the Israelite army kill all the men, women and children of a group that doesn’t believe in god.

@abyers1970
But, they got to keep the girls that had not been with a man.

@xenoview We are horrified when muslims talk about having sex slaves after winning a battle yet it happened in the old testament. Most people don't even realize that the Old Testament god is the god of the muslims. They are descendants of Ishmael

ok y'all know none of those slaughters were literal, right...i got a link somewhere if anyone cares

@bbyrd009 you're kidding, right? The gawd that sent the Flood to drown all mankind would Never flinch at slaughter & rape, duuuuuhhhhhh

@AnneWimsey ok so fine anne, be a gnostic and know all that, but when you're ready, the Bible didnt invent catastrophic flood either i guess. Why do y'all insist upon reading mythology literally, like believers do? Obv so you can be a diff kind of believer eh

@bbyrd009 i read my Babble so can properly counter faith-ful arguments. What would be the point of writing another Babble the way You see it? Unless you are a megalomaniac.

@AnneWimsey ah well i might likely be, yes, but fwiw i am hardly the first to suggest not reading mythology so literally? Not that No one has ever gone up to heaven, No son of man may die for another's sins, etc, arent in there in plain language anyway

wadr "Babble" pretty much says it all, doesnt it?

Because they are delusional

"...and we're not." lol

my guess would be "so that hypocrisy may be exposed," being as how "hell and punishment in the afterlife" are not really in the Bible anyway. i guess a corollary Q would be "Why does Yah let Christians be so horrible" maybe?

Because god gives them what they want. A god is made by its worshipers not the other way round. And if you take someone who does not want to make the effort to be a good human being, and say to them. Join my club and that makes you superior to all the other humans, with bragging rights. Then they will lick your imaginary boots.

and thus their hypocrisy is revealed, right. Im noting that most "believers" actually hate the Bible with a passion...at least when i'm Quoting it to them 🙂

@bbyrd009 It could be your speaking voice then. LOL

@Fernapple probably! i have asperger's, and about as much tact as a three year old i guess lol

@bbyrd009 You are not alone.

Easy. Because he’s a god and can totally kick their asses.

Excellent question. But then, rational thought really isn’t part of the equation.

@Hages growing up, I heard members of one sect talking about how loving god was, then I heard from another sect how you had to fear him. Never could reconcile that.

i would agree @ part two there--for either side, mostly--but the question to me becomes moot when "hell and punishment in the afterlife" cannot be quoted from the Bible, like most believers think

@Hages man, i hope you don't waste the rest of your life ripping on the deceived bro, that is surely just more deception?

@Hages ok well you might keep an open mind at the Bible, which has zero to do with what believers think it does, and even says so in very plain language, He who seeks to save his soul shall lose it etc. much more fulfilling to beat them at their own game imo
and ps the nicer you are about it, the more insane they go lol

@Canndue "growing up, I heard members of one sect talking about how loving god was, then I heard from another sect how you had to fear him. Never could reconcile that."
so, growing up, did you fear your dad? did you also love him? My prob with this analogy is i didnt love my dad, but i guess most sons do eh

@bbyrd009 I loved my dad and did not fear him.

@Canndue ok well opposite me, but nonetheless hopefully the point is made? Fwiw what is translated to us as "fear" is the same word for "respect" i guess

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:566484
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.