Agnostic.com

33 3

Do we need religion to prevent suicide?

Yikes, what a subject, right? But what if religion was created to also prevent people from killing themselves for the fear of going to hell? Is this also why most pro-lifers are Christian?

FinchiMcQ 6 Apr 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments (26 - 33)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Here is another thing about superstitious beliefs that are dangerous; over in Africa albinos are slaughtered to make magic and when I say albinos I am talking about human beings. Children dismembered because others believe their body parts will do something mystical for them. I would love to get every albino out of there and to a safe place but I know it is impossible.

If anything the idea of an all forgiving God combined with a paradisiacal afterlife probably makes suicide very attractive to religious people, and since Christianity is one of the few religions that actually makes suicide a damnable offence it is no wonder Buddhists, Muslims, Hindus etc are willing to sacrifice them selves for a cause on the promise of divine reward.

There is an excellent This American Life that discusses a palecular outcome to the Christian belief that suicide is unforgivable. Restricting people and limiting the ways they control their own destiny can have very undesirable outcomes

What do we actually control, if we are forced to cede control of our very existence to a governing body, like a church?

Some people need religion for that but I think we need more people who care and can help intervene when someone is having problems. Supportive systems, groups should be more available also.

Eh I doubt it helps that much. Ive been in and out of suicidal thoughts before and to be honest my atheism has done more to prevent it than religion would have. When you’re so depressed you’re contemplating suicide, you’re already living in the realest hell that exists. Once I lost the religious baggage I realize that life’s short enough on its own. This life is all we get and whether I’m enjoying it or not, I won’t throw it away.

I don't believe we need religion, to prevent suicide. It is always said, when someone takes their life. I had a co-worker say one time, suicide comes in so many forms. I had to agree with him. We're used to people using a gun, or a knife to take their life. People will also hang thmeselves. I recently lost a friend to suicide and he hung himself.
Another form of sucide, is when people give up on their lives, and see no hope to live.
I am sure I can think of other ways people can commit suicide, with out the use of a gun, a knife or by hanging themselves.

Why people suicide -because thier is a issue a problem Using religion is supressing the problem
What we need to do is go to the root of the problem and resolve it and then there is no problem
What we are good at are always the short cut easiest way out supressing the issue and not eradicating the problem

Rosh Level 7 Apr 13, 2018

Some people do

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:56759
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.