Agnostic.com

16 3

Do atheists and liberals go hand-in-hand?

I just feel like sometimes religious people tend to go to the right while I see a lot more atheists on the left. What's your take on this. Is it coincidental?

BabyBlues420 5 Nov 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have noticed that too. I think because atheist and liberals are smart and logical.

Conservative views: Pro gun rights, support strong military, fiscal conservative, against entitlements, free market capitalism.

Moderate views: I support free speech (and I mean all of it)

Liberal views: obviously atheist (separation of church and state), pro science (evolution, climate change, stem cell research and human gene editing), pro immigration, against death penalty, for public schools (no vouchers), for assisted suicide, gay marriage, for globalization, and I support free stem education but not a full ride for useless degrees.

My opinion is that is not coincidental. The conservatives aim to do just that, conserve the privilege of the founding Christian white guys while suppressing others. Historically, the liberals have always been more, well, liberal. They tend to care more about the progression of humanity as a diverse collective, allowing individuals to color outside the lines and not be restricted to unrealistic conservative values. That being said, there is always a grey area just like with anything else. I've know plenty of liberals/Democrats that are profoundly defensive of religion and I'm sure there are conservatives that reject religion.

I agree with you, Kate. It does seem to work this way: liberal=atheist and conservative=religion. We cannot generalize this and say 100%, of course. The very idea of liberal thinking and open to new ideas and critical thinking isn't an exclusive lib/conserv thing, for sure. But, I think the majority would suggest this is the way things are. I'm sure there are some strict conservatives politically thinking who are non-believers in religion or god. There are certainly very liberal religions and religious thinking people.

There are plenty of right sided people in this community. So, my answer is no.

the data shows that many non-believers lean left, at least on social issues, but I do know a few who are more libertarian. I don't think it's coincidental just because the more of a critical thinker you become, the more you should be analyzing all different issues in society.

I am an atheist and the farthest away from a liberal that you can get

I'm interested in your comment. What does that mean "farthest away"? You mean super conservative? If so, what ways are you conservative? Like, do you love Donald Trump conservative? The way many evangelicals "love" the Donald as "their great messiah"? I mean no disrespect, I'm just curious.

lifted from another of my comments... . In a 2012 Pew survey 63% of religiously unaffiliated voters say they are Democrats or lean toward the Democrats, while 26% identify with or lean toward the GOP. This pattern is especially pronounced among atheists and agnostics, atheist/agnostic 73% lean Democrat, 18% lean Republican. Now just speculating but of the 5 primary virtues in Political Moral Foundations Theory that are care, fairness, loyalty, authority, and sanctity, conservatives place about 10x more importance on loyalty, authority, and sanctity than progressives indicating those traits have much more influence on conservatives' beliefs than on progressives' beliefs. Enough to create several political differences so not a far stretch to also have some impact in religious beliefs.

Atheism and political preference shouldn't be correlated, but like the question I can't help but believe there are more liberal atheists than conservatives.

Not necessarily. How one came to atheism will determine in many ways whether one is liberal or not.

Where on the left to right scale would you put a libertarian? Are there really just two neatly opposed categories of political beliefs?

No, I do not believe in a right/left continuum. It's a false narrative used to keep the two parties in power. I'm far more "conservative" than any Republican when it comes to limiting government and far more "liberal" than any Democrat when it comes to individual liberty.

From m-w.com
Liberalism: a political philosophy based on belief in progress, the essential goodness of the human race, and the autonomy (see autonomy 2) of the individual and standing for the protection of political and civil liberties; specifically : such a philosophy that considers government as a crucial instrument for amelioration of social inequities (such as those involving race, gender, or class)

It makes sense that there is a large coincidence of liberalism and atheism given the progressive nature of the philosophy and the large connection of the conservatives and religion.

Evangelicals tend to be politically conservative to outright reactionary. Catholics range from ultra-liberal to ultra-conservatives. Not all atheists are liberals. At least a few on this site are VERY right wing.

I was actually what I consider a liberal, even when I believed in a god. I think me being liberal gave me the freedom to question my beliefs.

I'm just judging by assorted posts here, strictly anecdotal, no "word analysis." I think the group is a mix of liberals and libertarians for the most part. So I would say Atheists/Agnostics go hand in hand with people who think about stuff.

I'm an atheist, but definitely not a liberal.

Where on the political spectrum would you consider yourself?

Although I dot't call myself one, I'm along the lines of Libertarian. The Libertarian's have their issues too. Basically I'm a proponent of individual rights, and I don't care what any individual does as long as it isn't interfering with anyone else's rights.

Obviously that is a very oversimplified explanation.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5678
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.