Agnostic.com

31 5

How old were you when you had your first realization that your thoughts were private?

Did you feel a sense of relief? These questions are directed at former believers.

VictoriaNotes 9 Apr 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Three months after enrolling in an elementary school when I was five years old I was moved from Grade 1 to Grade 2 and this continued every two to three weeks until I was doing elementary mathematics with Grade 6 who were preparing for High School. It was during that time that I realized my thoughts were private because whenever I was given a set of mathmatical questions I wrote down all the correct answers without showing how I arrived at them, this seemed to puzzle the teachers.

Lol I automatically went to thinking you meant our thoughts in general being private where nobody can hear them or read our minds.

Ears were burning that day, let me tell you!

godef Level 7 Apr 13, 2018

Our thoughts are private?

I've always known im the only one in my body. I hadn't even considered anything else till you just said that

Ditto. Paranoia is not my usual state of mind. My bible studies never implied thought reading by God 🙂

same here, which I suddenly realized it’s what confounds a few religious people to this day, because they think they know my thoughts,& think it’s a problem (or the devil using me) Many friends are religiius, and are also good people. But the Narcissists who use religion practically go into rage when private thoughts are not divulged to them. I guess that’s how praying aloud or catholic confession can be counter productive.

i guess so

I'm confused. What religion makes people believe that thoughts aren’t private. Rasied as a christian at a young age, I don't recall hearing this or thinking my thoughts weren't..

Well, I guess I didn't really think that much of it. I've never read that verse. My indoctrination happened at a young age from my grandmother, but she was really the only one in the family that took it seriously. But, I did believe someone was watching me at times. Just thinking about the mind F@$% is making me sick.

I'm very open about everything that I think. So much easier.

It has now been a long time since I worried about God listening to my sinful thoughts, but honestly, this was a serious source of anxiety for my entire childhood and youth. And unlike the other commenters, this was an issue for me well into my early adulthood. It just seemed obvious to me that my thoughts were under surveillance if thinking about stealing is as bad as stealing and God can hear my "silent" prayers. This was also the concept that was the hardest for me to shake when I was deconverting, but I'm so glad it's over now. I can think in peace!

Thanks for sharing @LogiGal and @VictoriaNotes.

Sadly, it was a long process for me. Having been taught from a young age that thought crimes were as bad as real crimes, and that we had to continuously resist the devil so he flees from you, my mind was in constant guilt and "asking for forgiveness" mode. This is what teaches kids the very harmful concept that they are "wretched" requiring god's amazing grace to be saved. Added to that was the knowledge that our (my) sins are what nailed (and keep nailing) Jesus to the cross, that my flaws were my doing only, and that I was a disappointment to god. All of this was commonly taught in the various churches I attended.

This is why I fully understand when people call this type of brainwashing emotional/mental child abuse. There is a huge relief knowing that's far from the truth, but even today, many years after my realisation, I find that my brain automatically goes there. I am much faster at being self aware though.

@VictoriaNotes I don't think I'd read that particular post or it got lost somewhere in my brain amongst all the other bits and pieces. So, it was very good to read that. Thanks.

And yes, so true. The more that type of religion is ingrained into someone's life, the more they are defined by it. That was me.

I think that I always knew that they were private.

I was way too young to remember.

I only remember cak to age four, but I seemed to alwasy know my thoughts were private.

I realized the difference between thinking and talking as soon as I could speak.

I don't remember, but I can recall my anxiety issues starting in elementary school because I thought Jesus could read my thoughts and was watching my every move. I was paranoid and wracked with guilt all the time.

Lani Level 5 Apr 13, 2018

It's not something most theists really consider or think about. The thought didn't even really occur to me until after my deconversion. I technically knew that god could, but never really focused on it.

Never felt like they weren't.

Not until I was required to take a lie detector test

@VictoriaNotes Since around grade school age. Before that, it never really occurred to me.

I always thought my thoughts were private. I don't ever remember thinking there's someone in the sky listening to me. When I was older and understood that's sorta what this whole religion thing was getting at, I thought it was silly AF. This was around the time my mom started trying to force me into going to Catechism.

I never thought they weren't private. I was born psychic, as was my mom and sister. I used to routinely use ESP to communicate with my Haiti missionary kid friends since we didn't have phones, but we only invaded other people's thoughts after their permission.

For instance, when we were together in person, we'd agree on a certain time to contact each other mentally so that we'd have permission. I could always feel the emotions and thoughts of people around me, so my main focus was to block them.

But that's why I like living in Thailand..so many peaceful, "one with everything" vibes.

By the way, if people troll me for this response, I'll just block them.

My thoughts were never private, beings I was from the Candid Camera generation. Allan Funt was -ALWYS- listening and watching from the closet! Kid you not...I wouldn't even scratch my ass with the lights on for fear of being spied on by his crew!

At first I was, "wait ... whut?" and then I realize you mean -- private from god.

Honestly, it never particularly bothered me. Maybe at some level I didn't believe god listened very closely. I suspect many believers just disassociate from what concerns they have. I didn't hear it much discussed. I suspect it's one of those things, like the terrors of hell, that really torment those who are particularly vulnerable to it, but for most, the idea is an abstraction that doesn't really connect to everyday life. It's compartmentalized away.

But that's just my experience in the midst of one sect's particular emphases. I suppose for example that some holiness church that really flogs how wretched and unworthy you are, and how god is just THAT close to casting you out ... would damage more people mentally in this area.

About 7 or 8, I started to become a skeptic, I couldn't believe there was an all knowing doG. Took me another 20 years to get shed of all the other supernatural BS and become a real skeptic.

My thoughts are often about privates. I don't think that was what you meant. 🙂

When I was yet a babe in the basket and I wanted something and no one knew what, I knew right then and there no one could read my mind and that life was going to be an uphill struggle all the way.

SamL Level 7 Apr 13, 2018

My mother was a spiritualist and I was very afraid of meeting spirits on the stairs going up to bed as the first flight had to be negotiated in the dark

I always knew my thoughts were private. or it didn't register that they might not be 'I didnt have a god in my life but I did have ultra wacky intrusive parents - I think I was about six years old when I realised my parents were not the same as those of other kids in the street My mum was manic and my father depressive. Both my brother and i just went out
and stayed out till dusk

I was more concerned that my mother could see or hear my thoughts. That was more of an imminent threat as those repercussions were literally felt. ?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:56822
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.