Agnostic.com

11 4

Well, I won't be doing that again not for her at least.
Yesterday while out Grocery shopping I spotted a lady, about in her mid to late 20's, struggling to push a stroller with a 10-12 month old baby in it while trying also to hang onto and control a 3 year old child as well.
As I was always brought to be a gentleman and thus learned that a gentleman opens doors for a woman, I did so to enable her to enter a shop with normal doors, not the self-opening kind.
Instead of a smile and a kindly "Thank you" I copped a slap across the face and a tirade of abuse including " Go and Fuck yourself you Arrogant, Selfish Misogynistic Bastard, no wonder you're out on your own, no decent woman would be seen dead around shit like you."
Keeping good control over my emotions I simply, smiled and said, "Thank you for your kindness, I hope you have a very nice day," walked through the door ahead of her and let the door close by itself in her face while keeping the though running through my mind of' Don't worry lady, I'll make certain I remember your face and make sure I repay your kindnesses 10 times over in future every time I see you struggling.

Triphid 9 Feb 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Overwhelmed, coupled with mental illness, along with misplaced anger, hormonal rage, this might have been her in a good mood. Props to you for doing the right thing.

This strikes me as very odd behaviour. Were you wearing shoes Triphid? Praps she thought you were going to mug her. I'm a long time feminist but believe in good manners. If I reach the door first, I open it and allow the next person through.

As always in summer, I wear dress style thongs ( flip flops to Americans, etc,) shorts, a clean t-shirt am ALWAYS clean shaved showered, etc, and 'sunnies' to protect my eyes from the glare of the summer sun.
Plus, I'd not be overestimating were I to say that at LEAST 80+% of the people who I see every fortnight at the Shopping Centres know me quite well, in fact ever so many actually stop and have a chat with me while I sit and take a rest on a seat somewhere.
Even during the times when I'm waiting for a bus in the main CBD there are people of all genders, etc, who will stop to have a chat with me.
As to me 'mugging' anyone, well that'd be a complete impossibility since I cannot run out of sight on dark night let alone in daylight.

Wait, you held a door open for a woman and she slapped you?! And told you to go fuck yourself?! Please tell me this isn’t real ....

Sorry BUT itwas 100% for REAL.

Good point she earned it

Continue being your self,She has just told the rest of the world of who she is ,Even on a bad day one can still use courtesy and say thank you

That's the most extreme example of the kinds of responses I get all the time. I don't do anything like that for women anymore.

Always do no matter what, kind of instilled into from childhood to be a Gentleman to others.

That's awful! There must have been some mental health things going on there. I feel so sorry for her kids! You did such a nice thing, and the world doesn't value niceness as much as it should.

Good grief! I open and hold doors for everyone, regardless of age or sex.

Rude, entitled young people walk through without a "Thank you." "You're welcome," I say sarcastically.

This reminds me of young people who walk three- and four-abreast, forcing me off the sidewalk. Staring at their phones.

No manners nor compassion.

You'd be surprised to see the way we get treated by women. I have thought of having someone follow me around a shopping mall, video recording the responses I get from women.

@LiterateHiker Stop where you are and make them go around you.

@yvilletom

People would knock me down if I stand on the sidewalk.

They stare at their damn phones. "LOOK UP!" I shout.

@LiterateHiker Maybe it works for me cuz I’m tall.

@BitFlipper You'd be surprised how we are treated by men. In my country, one woman dies a week due to domestic violence from her male partner.

@MsDemeanour Yes, the domestic violence caused by men, so often we hear about that side of the story but seldom do we hear about the other side where women are violent towards their partners, i.e. men.
Please do NOT try to tell "It does not happen" because I know, very personally, that it DOES and that it is usually 'swept under the carpet' for a number of reasons such as,
a) when a man TRIES to report it to the Authorities, i.e. Police, he is either ignored or told to 'grow a set of balls' in so many words and handle it like a man,
b) Apprehended Domestic Violence Orders sought by MALE victims are, more often than NOT, harder to get than a teaspoon full of Rocking Horse shit, the bureaucratic red-tape a bloke has to endure is more than enough to reach the top of Mount Everest and come back down again,
c) WHEN word 'leaks (as it always seems to) ' the MALE victim instantly because the 'target' of ridicule in the community from BOTH male and females alike.

C’mon, you know only half of the story.

What would be the "other side of the story" in your opinion?

Spoiled ungrateful brat! In my world, I hold doors open for anyone male, or female, & in turn, I expect the same. What the hell is wrong with manners, & a little kindness?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:573708
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.