Agnostic.com

3 0

What's with all these markers along the highways that show where someone died? If I think about this in a serious way it is a distraction. If your loved one is killed on a highway maybe we should also use a marker for the baby that died of SIDS as well. Just keep the crib in the room and it will mark where and when the baby died. Show it to all your friends when they come over. Years ago I accidentally ran over some puppies in mom's driveway. I was careless and they were right there under my wheel. Maybe we should mark that spot too. How about the spot where the cops shot and killed your brother? I'm not trying to be cruel here, just trying to be fair about something I find hard to understand.

DenoPenno 9 Feb 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

i guess it beats burma shave ads....

g

I live on a small island and whenever there is an automotive fatality on the highway (and I do mean THE highway, since everyone drives the same main road) the spot is often marked for a few months with flowers. It's often a sober reminder to be careful when passing or turning, and not to drive while impaired in any way. The small displays might help to focus on safety while driving. Where I live it's nearly impossible to drive too fast to notice these well intentioned memorials, making us feel lucky to be alive. I can understand in a busier place how they could be a distraction. I guess it's all relative to where they are placed.

You have a dark sense of humor ... one that makes me snicker!

Seriously, those roadside homemade crosses serve as a reminder to drive only when sober and well-rested, within the speed limit (or as the weather allows) and to ignore your damn phones! 😉

Are we sure that the highway markers have to do with those who were drunk or DUI? You would think that if they did the state would put them there. What I see is flowers and signs apparently from the surviving relatives.

@DenoPenno There are three such family-made markers within a few miles of my house, all of which were from crashes by inebriated young people, and there's a significant makeshift shrine with flowers (and balloons even) near my mother's home in the Sierra Foothills, following the tragic death of a young mother and her 3rd grade son who were killed when she crossed into the opposite lane while texting. I didn't mean to imply that all roadside markers come from such mistakes, but when I see one I am simply reminded never to drive impaired or distracted.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:574123
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.