Agnostic.com

6 10

LINK Newsweek: Atheists Hate Homeschooling Because Kids Spend Time with Their Parents | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

Newsweek just published an utterly irresponsible article about the rise of homeschooling.

Newsweek will publish anything, apparently, no matter how poorly researched it is.

Yesterday, it posted an article by Paul Glader, a professor at The King’s College in New York City, a Christian school that was led for years by convicted felon Dinesh D’Souza. The piece is intended to respond to concerns about the rise in homeschooling. Instead it comes off as a hit piece against liberals who have been critical of the practice for legitimate reasons.

snytiger6 9 Feb 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

These jokers are regarded as fools here.

Some homeschooling is done for legitimate reasons and I'm sure we can all think of some. There are other kids who might even start hating their parents when they get into the real world and find out the truth.

Agreed, some have to when they are serious health concerns. And usually it’s the mom who has to put her career on hold. I do know quite a few HSed kids who do hate their parents’ choices of education for them. I also know others who’ve gotten undergrad degrees before 20! I personally was forced to homeschool under duress when I came to the US over 26 years ago and found out that my ex wanted our kids homeschooled. It’s impossible for a US citizen to understand how can something so basic as a right to work could be taken away. But it wasn't in my case. I landed in a cult. I was only 21 and had no idea how to even go about it prior to the www. I was terrified. I begged, I pleaded, I cried, I resisted. I had no tools, skills, , knowledge of teaching anything except ESL to adults! I I tried reasoning but he ganged up with his religious family and I felt like an octopus got me trapped. I was afraid to tell my parents thousands of miles away. Y’all, it was so very hard. To move every 2-3 months for his jobs, or to live in isolation in the midst of a rural area bc it was cheaper for him to raise the kids and keep me away from normal people. It didn’t take long before I realized the trap I got myself into thousands of miles away from my family and my birth country and i did my best to survive and give my kids as many tools as i could. I snuck in secular books from the library, and tried to learn myself subjects like US history, before I can teach the kids. I dreaded every school day and hated the people who believed it was the right choice for my children and myself. Any attempts to sound the alarm, as a foreigner, in the middle of a religious cult, were futile. 20 years later? He alienated the kids, left me financially incapacitated, homeless ( wasn’t allowed to work until I finally broke free of the HS BS, then as I was trying to build my own career at 40, starting community college, nursing school, he told me he wants a divorce! 3 girls are in college Bc they realized where they’d end iup f they continued this idiocy, yet guess who they still worship, knowing full well that he abused me with his religion and left all of his children and mom in a vulnerable place? Yep. They say he made a mistake thinking that HSing was the best choice for us. They don’t hate him though. Even though they know he’s a trumpster, a misogynist, racist, they DON’T hate him. They projected that hate on ME. When I asked what about me, they had no answer. There are secular HSers out there also, but finding them for meetups is problematic as the majority are in religious groups. My biggest concern is for the patent who has to take the brunt of the teaching. It’s extremely taxing and the kids don’t respect the parents to begin with, but a teaching parent? Do you think this pandemic would bring any changes in the HSing movement still being viewed as a freedom of choice or a form of emotional control of the children and the teaching spouse?

What year is it again?

The year of the Rise of the Religio-Slugs perhaps?

Oh dear, sounds pretty irresponsible. Hopefully the people that they are, ‘quoting’, will ask them to publish an amendment.

What a truck load of unadulterated bullshit imo.

Should say human shit.

@xenoview Or, Religio-slug shit instead perhaps?

@Triphid For some reason my messaging isn't being cooperative.
SMFH = shaking my fucking head

@KKGator Kind of like one we have over here, WBM, which God-botherers often mistake for meaning Well Bless Me BUT actually means "Well Bugger me."

SMFH

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:576986
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.