Agnostic.com

9 17

LINK Northern Ireland’s Humanists: daring to declare ‘no religion’

Growing community urging those who are not religious to say so on the next census

(That is one way to lessen religious power, by showing politicians just how many are not religious)

snytiger6 9 Mar 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Problem with this just like with any ideological group, trying declare atheists a community is like herding cats. I like though how the atheists in Northern Ireland have banned PZ Myers from taking part in any of their events because of how much of an insufferable cunt he is

Here is a link to ANI in relation to PZ Myers: [atheist.ie]

It is past time that Americans showed politicians we are not religious. Instead, we play verbal games that invite or tolerate religion. My lifetime religious friend knows I was once a believer and he claims I "know the truth." What he means is that my enlightenment shows him I am "angry with his god."

Census Information· 92% of Irish citizens answered that they are Christian (88% Catholic). · 5% answered that they are non- believers. It will be a hard sell

25% 0f the world are non believers.

Excellent idea!! This ought to scare faithfools!!

I wish the USA would do that and maybe we would make progress in the right direction.

Hasn't Ireland lagged-behind other western countries in the movement(s) (nones) away from religion ? 😛

[theconversation.com]

[theguardian.com]

It was until the revelations about child abuse. The response was total. Catholicism is dead in the Republic of Ireland.

Very, very good news to hear imo, it should, with luck, send more than a few worthwhile tremors through the foundations of the Religions in Ireland and elsewhere as well I hope.

I live in Northern Ireland and I got my Census form in the post yesterday. I will, as I always have done, enter None in the box for religion. Incidentally, the lady in the article - Sheena Bradley, was the Humanist celebrant at my son Graeme’s funeral memorial and cremation two years ago, and she did a really good job.

I'll have to keep an eye on that one.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:580105
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.