Agnostic.com

5 2

The power of song.

Surfpirate 9 Mar 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sort of a British version of a western where the colonizers beat back the savage natives!? More and more history is questioning who was really the bad guys. The Boer war was another example of the bad guys being depicted as the good ones.

The Zulus were a colonizing tribe and they conquered, absorbed or enslaved their neighbouring tribes.

@Surfpirate This is common among many tribes. Lots of tribes i S America did this and a few dominate ones emerged. It was once theorized that smaller tribes look to joining a larger one for protection and strength. However,there is often a critical mass and when the domineering tribe gets to large some groups try to break away. It's been going on for a long time and just seems a part of human nature. Still doesn't make the idea of colonizing through violence, right.

Great movie...we had a video of it when my two sons were young and they watched it constantly, and could relate most of the dialogue verbatim! Ivor Emmanuel who was a well known Welsh tenor acted the part of Private Owen who led the rousing chorus in the singing of Men Of Harlech in the movie. Incidentally....it was Michael Caine’s first movie, appearing as Lt. Gonville Bromhead V.C. There were in total 11 Victoria Crosses awarded for the Battle of Rork’s Drift, the largest number ever awarded in the British Armed Forces for a single engagement.

I would be team Zulu over the colonizers there to steal the land, gold and diamonds.

That’s an intense film, especially the siege, and historically sound. Welsh regiments were famous for their choirs, and the Zulu troops also used song to build focus and energy. Personally, I always liked the Zulu songs/chants in the movie!

. . . good movie. 😮

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:581022
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.