Agnostic.com

7 11

LINK Christian Nurses Who Won’t Perform Abortions Lose Lawsuit in European Court | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

Christian Nurses Who Won’t Perform Abortions Lose Lawsuit in European Court
By Hemant Mehta
March 16, 2020

In a reminder that rational public policy still exists somewhere in the world, two Christian nurses working in Sweden, who refused to perform abortions and were fired as a result, have lost their lawsuit with the European Court of Human Rights. The ECHR declined to take up their case, which means an earlier decision will stand.

That decision essentially said abortion is part of basic health care. If you can’t do that, you’re refusing to do your job, so there’s nothing wrong with firing you for it.

The argument made by the women including Elinor Grimmark, — that they were being persecuted because of their Christian faith — was also dismissed.

snytiger6 9 Mar 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would have thought that people who hold strict religious views would not pursue jobs/careers where they may be required to provide services that would be against their views.
But, because of the equality laws most employers would try to accommodate those with extreme religious views mainly to avoid litigation.
I wonder to what extent would employers be expected to allow religious people to bring their beliefs to workplace and influence the way they do their job, potentially becoming prejudiced themselves and discriminate against some of their customers as a result.
I wonder if there's any legal ground enabling employers to prevent this from happening.

ABack Level 6 Mar 18, 2021

Good news there. They probably would not want to attend to a known prostitute if she/he were in hospital either.

Sack them, de-license them and kick them out on their God-Bothering Arses.

As was INSTILLED into us when I started my Training as a Nurse back in 1972.
"Ladies and Gentleman, ( 22 women and 1 Male, Me btw,) from the moment you don your Uniform as a Nurse you WILL leave your Religious Beliefs and ALL of its trappings behind you for the ENTIRE length of EVERY Working Shift you do.
You are HERE to Care for, Attend to the needs and Treatments, etc, as required and needed by the Patients and as those prescribed by the Doctors and the Rules and Regulations of both this Hospital, the Laws of the Land and the Florence Nightingale Oath which will you now take and adhere to."

To understand this better let me switch the subject to an auto repair shop that will not do an oil change. Doesn't make much sense does it? These nurse need to find another profession.

I’m sure there are plenty of nursing homes in need of medical staff. Then it wouldn’t even come up. Of course nowadays with assisted suicide becoming legal in many states, that would offend their godly principles I’m certain.

They need to do that in this country. It would help with the over population problem of this planet.

That can be helped by a little common sense........Use protection when you have sex.

@CuddyCruiser Unfortunately, many rapists refuse to use protection when they rape their nieces /daughters. Often, even during date rape they don’t use them. What is an innocent girl to do? Some use religious prohibitions against birth control to justify impregnating their victim.

@Detritus Laws need to be changed also. It needs to be codified into law that rape is a crime of violence, not just a “sexual” crime.

@CuddyCruiser Absolutely. I would definitely support a law that executed any person raping a child. OTOH family/pastoral abuse involves persuasion (or coercion if you like) rather than physical assault. I’m not sure that I want mental/verbal coercion lumped together with beatings. But, I generally agree with you.

Europe has had thousands of years of civilization more than we have. At some point we may catch up. Plus, the further North you go, regardless of country, the more people seem to adopt to science thinking rather than religious dogma.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:582544
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.