Agnostic.com

3 7

LINK In Emotional Video, Theologian Paul Maxwell Says He’s “Not a Christian Anymore” | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

For several years, Dr. Paul Maxwell wrote a series of articles for the (fairly fundamentalist) website Desiring God. Given his Ph.D. in theology and the fact that he was a professor at Moody Bible Institute, that seemed like a natural fit. He wrote about dealing with trauma, how to handle the church hurting you, and navigating purity culture.

There’s nothing unusual about any of that. Nothing he wrote, that I can find, delved into culture war narratives or were designed to provoke outrage. He was just a Christian speaking to other Christians.

But this week, he posted an emotional video on Instagram — that was soon deleted — in which he talked about how he was no longer a Christian and how happy he was with his life. Maxwell is also a fitness buff and his social media now seems exclusively focused on that, not his Christianity.

YouTuber Jon Harris (who is a practicing Christian) made a video reacting to this news and he thankfully included Maxwell’s video at the 8:30 mark: (follow link for video)

snytiger6 9 Apr 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Without knowing the particulars of Maxwell's reasons for leaving Christianity, what comes to mind is just how many high profile and highly educated people have left Christianity. Dan Barker from FFRF, Bart Ehrman who authored numerous books about issues within Christianity, Matt Dillahunty from the Atheist Experience on Youtube all came from Fundamentalist backgrounds intent on becoming or having become ministers or preachers. Michael Shermer from the Skeptic Society was also an evangelical although I don't believe he attended seminary or intended to become a preacher.

Sometimes I hate my brain. I got to the name Dillahunty and immediately started thinking about some biblically huge and epic Dilla Hunt lol.

Mr. Harris is a man of strong will and mind. It’s not easy so congratulations and hope your newfound journey is fulfilling and satisfying. 🤝 🤟 👍 👏

Well most of us had to “Learn” about Christianity to know the only moral thing to do is to ignore it.
For some this involves a PhD in Theology, some people are slow like that.

Or at least attended church for a good chunk of time

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:588576
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.