Agnostic.com

25 3

How do you keep promises?

Personally, I am very big on keeping promises, in as literal of a sense as I am able (for instance, I quit drinking to support my Ex's sobriety, and still don't drink even after the split), but I understand that most people are content to follow the spirit of the promise, if not the letter. So how do you keep a promise?

• 22 votes
  • 6 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 2 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 23 votes
DonThiebaut 7 Apr 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I keep my promises to the letter and the spirit, but it's to my detriment, as others often take advantage of my hard work, while doing nothing.

Sadly, too many people take kindness for weakness.

Say what you mean and mean what you say!

BillF Level 7 Apr 16, 2018

I rarely make promises. Too many things can go wrong. If I DO make a promise, I know for a FACT that I will be able to follow thru. I got a lot of "we'll see" or "maybe" growing up. If my Mama actually utterred the word PROMISE, it was basically set in stone. So maybe that is why I am wary of promising anything.

update I am very fond of a saying that I read once: "My word is my bond."

I'm also cautious of making promises. It's not something I take lightly

@DonThiebaut Broken promises can be very That's why it is such a touchy subject..

If I give my word, it will be done, but I rarely give my word because I know my limits

I keep my word.

I try to not make promises, because my father made a lot of promises that he didn't keep when I was a child. On the rare occasion that I do make a promise I do everything in my power to make sure it is kept.

Promises, by definition, should be kept. But every promise has it's associated loss factor. How much is the other side going to lose if you can't keep the promise- is something to think about before and after making promises. If it's a very tiny loss, I don't think either party will have much problem. But for big ones, this can go up to the legal action. But breaking promises, small or big, undoubtedly breaks the established trust. And according to me, trust is the biggest currency of social life.

The word promise means a lot to me and I assess each situation. If I promise something I'll do it unless something totally changes the situation.

You are a rarity these days, I commend you.

I try not to make any kind of promises in the first place. When one has a chronic illness, it's unfair to both parties to set too much stock in something that has every chance of not happening, through no-one's fault.

Everyone understands not being able to keep promises under special circumstances. Then phone them and let them know the change. Don'just leave it, you will be labeled as unreliable.

@VAL3941 I do let them know. I'm still labelled as unreliable. The only thing for it is to be up-front at the outset and not set anyone up for disappointment.

Then you don't have a problem, they do !

I guess I'll throw myself under the bus. I try to keep promises. Sometimes I'm successful and sometimes I fail. I'm human. That's one thing forgiveness is for...

Just do what you say you will as soon as possible, but don't put a timeline to it. Thats the bugbear.

Driving in Scotland with a girlfriend we passed a beautiful loch but had no time to stop. Carelessly I said "We'll come back here someday, build a fire and camp under the stars". A year later we split up and it never happened. I think that's the only promise I've never kept unless you count the "I'm not going to have another biscuit" variety. Those are literally numberless.

I don't make promises I can't keep.

I am reluctan tto make promises. When I make them though I do keep them.

I follow through .. always.

I actively avoid any promise more specific than "I promise I'll do my best" to whatever.

Except at work. I get a lot of children who are afraid that I'm a doctor because of the waiting room of where I work. I routinely promise my little people that I'm not going to hurt them. Unfortunately, parents often call me teacher or doctor when talking to their kids.

My dad drilled into my head "let your yes mean yes and your no mean no and your word and reputation is all you truly have..."
To this day, I will not make any promises that I'm not sure I can follow through on...but, if I give you my word on something, assume that I will either do it or die trying.

I try not to make promises because I usually regert it when the times comes, but I ALWAYS keep them.

I put "I actively avoid making promises" which isn't strictly true but I think closest to what I do. I find words like I promise, I love you and you're my best friend or I really hate you or even I want to kill you just spoken as flippantly and matter of fact as saying " I'm just going to the shops" from so many people but they don't mean it. I've learned not to trust people really because of this. I've also addressed this kind of thing in myself. if I say I am definitely going to do something then I do it, no question. mostly though I tell the truth and say I will probably do something or you seem ok so far ie tell the truth. most people don't even notice but I stay true to myself.

Hmmm.... ive made promises to god and marriages. Till death do we part promises. Well there aint no god... so that didn't work. Been married 3 times. 2 of them didn't work. To me... promises are old school. It's all contracts to me now. A good hand shake on an agreement means nothing. Signed paperwork notarized is the new promises. I loaned stuff to my young neighbor and he hasn't brought it back. Oh yeah... l bring it back when I'm finished...ha! Loving a person is not a promise. As time goes on...love can go too.

I'm active in the lives of many kids, friends of my son, children of friends, Scouts, archery, horse clubs, etc,. Several don't have Dad's involved in their lives, or mother's with the interest, and want to learn to do some of the activities my son and I share. So we teach them archery, hunters safety, how to ride a horse, drive an atv, swim, etc.
Most of my promises are made to them and are qualified with " I promise to try my best to,.. fill in the blank, give you some riding lessons, etc.
Relationship promises. I'm honest, loyal, trustworthy maybe to a fault. Even my exes would tell you that.

What would I promise?

All you can possibly do is all the someone can expect from you.

I just don't make promises..

I do avoid making promises but my family always told me "you promised." That was always their answer but not really the words I had said.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:58921
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.