Agnostic.com

12 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We will always see reports of mistreatment by religious institutions, and we will be left staggered by the continued self exposure and wonder what else do they need to know before realizing the full scope of it all?

At least they're trying to be consistent; the bible's pretty clear about homosexuality. The more people that recognize that god does in fact "hate fags" as WBC so eloquently puts it, the more people will have to make a choice.

@OldMetalHead
But they do not need to look at the Old Testament to support their claim that god hates homosexuality. He still condemns it in the New Testament. If you're still throwing hate at the gays across two books, you probably mean it...

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 (you mentioned this in your reply as if it were part of the Old Testament)
Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Timothy 1:9-10
We also know that the law is made not for the righteous, but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine

And to be honest, I think this is great. Pick a side. Your religion's holy book clearly says this perfectly natural thing is wrong and will send you to burn for all eternity in hell. So either you recognize that your holy book is stupid and wrong, or double down on the hatred. I can understand either of those positions because they're both logically consistent. It's the picking and choosing that makes people look extra stupid to me. I have more respect for the members of the WBC than I do average cafeteria Christians.

Preacher probrably mad that she chose a woman over him

Lucky girl, escaping from that bunch of bigots

Oh man, stop. Don’t go to a church that doesn’t accept you. They are intolerant hypocrites. There is nothing to gain. I’ve seen this before. She needs to come to an understanding that she does not need their approval.

Not surprised

bobwjr Level 10 Apr 21, 2021

The action sounds a lot like the way Mormons behave, although, I would curious to see how this chuch goes about "publicly" denouncing and excommunicating someone. Do they run an ad in rhe local newspaper defaming her In detail about her alleged transgression? Probably not. When a Mormon was ex'ed, someone from the local leadership would make an annoucement in a meeting stating the general charge they were being ex"ed for, and that was it. The one time I witnessed this being done, the leader encouraged fellowshipping to bring the person back into the fold. It would likely have been different if the ex'ed member didn't want to return.

If the woman doesn't intend to return to this church, she can resign. From what I have been told, her membership ends as soon as her resignation is received and all other disciplinary actions - like an excommunication proceeding - is to end. The Mormon church apparently has been successfully sued when a member sent a resignation letter but the church went forward with an excommunication proceeding anyway. I imagine it would be the same for any other church.

I hope she is soon thankful that she is free.

A quadruple of assholes: they should each ride a horse into their own apocalypse.

Shunning is popular with a lot of religions and sects, especially the wackiest evangelicals. I was counseling an Amish fellow, young guy, 22. He was doing rumspringa, finishing actually. The kids get to go sow their wild oats, buy cars, go English. He didnt want to go back. Hos family was going to disown him and shun him if he said with the English. He told me that his parents wanted him home and marrying a nice girl. Then he said to me, "It's going to take one hell of a woman to give up my Kawasaki 750." Don't know what happened with him.

That'll teach her about going to church.
You don't have to be LGBTQ+ to have shitty Church experiences either.
American churches are temples dedicated to the worship of ignorance and misinformation.
You know, like their outreach program, Fox News.

She should sue them for a number of reasons.
I wish I lived closer.
I'd give her my business.

I'd also probably be egging those four assholes' homes.

I live very close to this church maybe 10 miles. Doesn’t surprise me at all. In fact the only thing that surprised me was that they were kinda nice in the letter

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:591169
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.