Agnostic.com

17 7

I just need to vent and im honestly tired of getting told off for saying what i think

My ant said she wanted to take me too church sure, sure take someone who has and will continue to expess that he (I'm honesty not sure myself right now but im just going to use he pronouns for now. ) don't want to go so i tolh her that if she did that then id dressed in a satanist t shirt to prove a point. Then she said no your be dressed nice. I thought about telling her "fuck you if your forceing me to get up on a Sunday morning im doing on my terms and just for that im buying a speaker to play highway to hell when i go inside.

But at the same time i know that is going to cause more fighting

Ravengirl 3 Apr 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Just go. Get all dressed up and go. Pay attention and learn the dogma. It all comes in handy as you learn more about the myths and hypocrisies of religion. And please read; read a lot. It will improve your ability to sum up an argument.

Also, take a copy of one of Hitchens books to occupy your time while sitting there. Lol

My response was "no I'm not, and the answer will always be no and each time you pressure me it annoys the crap out of me and discourages me from talking to you. If you can leave this be and accept who I am then perhaps we'd see more of each other. If you really feel you have to intervene then pray for me in your church but please never mention it to me again" For me, talking to my mother, it worked and she let it go.

Ok that's probably the most reasonable thing for me to do thank you I'll do that

@Ravengirl I'm not often reasonable, but I try to be with my mother, mostly. My last interaction with a preacher was at a funeral when the preacher asked why I didn't attend church with my mother more often. I suspect she put him up to it. I told him, with my mother listening, that I saw little difference between him and a drug dealer because you're both peddling delusions. Subject was permanently closed after that. Maybe you can paraphrase that response

Don't go. It's that easy. Keep up the drunken posts you're a "3" already

You do not need to go to church. You "need" a class in English composition from your local Community College.

Yep, that will cause the fighting and bad feelings to continue for sure. I like that song but I'm not into it as a highway to any mythical place. I no longer worry about heaven or hell and I do not see anyone going there.

.time to grow up. Start by taking an English class...

I have for the record I'm on the autism spectrum and I've learned a lot I suggled a lot but I'm out of high school my English might not be good but at least I'm smart enough to ask someone for there story before judging them dumbass

i figure you're gonna do what you're gonna do until you do something different. sounds like you will. it will feel better.

Probably I'm just tired of this I got it here too

The oh your younger and less experienced than I am so therefore your less smart or less able to take seriously. It was more than way if thinking that makes me mad I've seen things like grow up and make her happy. Why should I make her happy at the expense of my happiness? It makes no sense to me. Sure if I saw this person every day then yeah I'd give a lot for them but this is only someone I see every month at least.

Peace isn't submission, it's and understanding between two parties.

Growing up doesn't mean giving up your happiness for others. It means accepting your flaws and improve upon them.

my advice would be to tell her that u cannot be indoctrinated because ur not a retard

start with no offense obviously

but also instead of doing the rebel stuff (which i do support btw) u should just be a grown up and go with her and fake it

shes likely using u for somebody to accompany her because image is very important to the jesus ppl and she doesnt believe u will make a scene

do the grown up thing and fake it!

Look I'm not going to make someone comfortable just cuz there not comfortable with me and I'll admit I could have always make a big deal out of a joke but I don't think so considering how she reacted when I said I was going to do it on my terms if she did

Welcome to the asylum. Enjoy your stay.

Unless you run the risk of losing your living situation, you are under no obligation to attend any church with anyone.
Being threatened with hell is inconsequential, since it's nonexistent.
When your aunt starts in again, be polite, be respectful, but stand up for your own right to have your own beliefs.

I have an aunt, whom I adore, who has very different beliefs than I do.
I don't live in the same state, so it's much easier for me to just overlook her religious beliefs, and stay focused on our relationship.
Thing is, we're both old, and have the benefit of distance.

You can't change most people's minds about their religious beliefs. They have to do that for themselves.
I get being angry at constantly having someone in your face about it.
Reacting badly isn't doing you any good.

Unless you can't avoid your aunt completely, just be calm and carry on.
You do you.

Ok thanks I try to keep a cool head it's just hard some time I'm not a very smart person or am I that good of a speller I really don't have anything special and the only thing I have is well my inquisitive nature.

@Ravengirl An inquisitive nature can be a great thing. It means you're interested in learning. Don't sell yourself short. 😉

Just say "No".

I wish the world was that simple I mean I could yes but she bring it up again

@Ravengirl Then maybe just ask her nicely to respect your decision and to stop being coercive.

First, is there anywhere you can go & scream without anyone overhearing, or hit or throw something without damaging anything, to get out your upset safely, protecting yourself & expressing your upset without anyone criticizing you? Do some art that shows how you feel? Because you need an outlet for your frustrated feelings.
Then pick your battles of what will work best for you. Make it your choice, under your control, what you want to do. If you choose to keep the peace & go to church, can you take a book you like & slip it inside the religious text? What can you do to make the experience yours?
Hang in there, I hope soon you can make your own decisions without being under someone else’s thumb, gf!

Thank you.

Taking any actions out of spite or anger has consequences.. sayin' z'all. Good luck .

Spite or anger, or intolerable frustration? I must admit that if anybody now tried to pull that sort of damned fool trick on me I would heap ever increasing quantities of sarcasm on them until they left me alone.

You better think a bit about this, some thing are worth fighting about and some are not. You may think you win but really you loose. Do what is easies to live with.

Ok thanks

Only you know how much of a problem not going will be. Is your aunt aware of how you feel about religion?
Also depending on how old you are, do you live with her and rely on her for day to day survival?
Given that she can not physically dress you then it is really up to you how much you press this.

I know that I expressed myself rudely as a teen but I also had really supportive parents and we did not live in an American bible belt so there are many factors to consider.

As an adult my catholic grandmother wanted me to go to an xmas mass she said it would not hurt me to go I pointed out she was right but I was not sure the church would survive it. I did not go and my grandfather and I watched a beautiful sunset together, sitting in silence on the verandah as the sun sank behind the trees. Then my grandmother came home screeching about us sitting in the dark. But I had a perfect moment with my grandfather I will always cherish.

In the end it is up to you.

You can go and make her happy and still not believe

lerlo Level 8 Apr 25, 2021

True, but I infer from Ravengirl's post that there is a lot more going on in her particular situation.

@anglophone I see it as they're trying to force her to accept religion and she doesn't want to. But she doesn't want to cause further grief so she goes and doesn't believe, simple solution

@lerlo Unless that going reinforces trauma that she has previously experienced. It is not given to everybody to divorce trauma from thought.

The problem is I have a really short fuse I could but if it probably end in me getting kicked out of church and them not wanting to see me ever again I like my uncle a lot and he seems to be more open

What’s the worst that could happen if you just refuse to physically go?

Mvtt Level 7 Apr 25, 2021

Your question is well asked.

I I'm not sure this is the 2nd time she's done this but that being said I might have been angry this was just after I debated the daughter of a Christian author and we are friends but I don't think that will last much longer... she essentially told me that I was going to hell I deserved it and no one could honestly believe in god and then not believe in him honestly well she did change her turne after I mentioned seth Andrews and Dan Barker

Stand up for you, and what you believe is right for you. Don't let anybody else, including me, tell you what is right for you.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:591894
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.