Agnostic.com

9 13

LINK New atheists run out of vigour just when they could be heeded most

This article is about Australia, but I think the issue is a general one for atheism.

I read this and my take away was that it is true that atheism does need some new prominent trouble makers, some fresh blood activists, leading the charge against religion, getting less caught up in the woke and the cancel culture quicksand issues, and alike. New Atheism, a term I myself don't use but did gain usage some years back, made the biggest impact when it focused on religion -- the irrationality of it, the corruption of it, the anti-modernism underpinning it, the real irrelevance of it. This is what inspired many of us. Atheism has become bogged down in wokism and political correctness quagmire. I'm hoping some new prominent new activists will emerge and push the profile of secularism. Of course to do so is to invite hell to fall on you, as Dawkins and Sam Harris and others have found out, evidence by the crazed personal attacks on them. It is true, as the article says, the so-called New Atheists are getting old, as well as side tracked. Some fresh blood would be welcomed, to remotivate and inspire.

No doubt there will be the usual attacks here by the usual new atheism haters, but I'm rather pitching this to those fully commited to atheism, who appreciate what Dawkins and others have contributed, and look to taking religion on fully and squarely, exposing it and looking to neutralize it and build on growing secularism, like me.

David1955 8 Apr 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ohferpetessake, are atheists supposed to be like JW's or something on porches spreading the "good news"??
I think most of us rejected religion because we decided to think for ourselves, and a strong corollary to that is allowing others Their space.

Obviously you don't see religion as an insidious thing as much as I and others do.

@David1955 That is a pretty nasty & Very Stupid ASSumption when I am pointing out we should Not strive to be like religious proselytizers!
"Obvious[ly]" to whom, pray tell?
You're showing up on random porches with leaflets are ya? Let us all know how we can get in on that......

Agree with the comments about how New Atheism (which I believe was a largely media created term) went off track like a broken shopping cart. Its like someone tried to herd a bunch of cats without realising atheism is a cross cutting trait quite uncorrelated to many other things. I think their only exploitable common trait - skepticism - was uncorrelated to most of the additional concerns New Atheism was expected to address.

Perhaps it could have been leveraged to look at other bullshit in life like conspiracy theories. Then again I even there I think we have a substantial number of folks who may not believe in God or jump on the Jesus bandwagon and hence identify as atheists but sure as heck treat QAnonism and the like as their New Religion replacing God with Q, Trump as Jesus, and as for the holy ghost, probably the flag (Confederate or otherwise).

Eliminating them from our tent cuts down the numbers but we really just need to stay on target and focus purely on atheism pure and simple.

I like your points. Atheism isn't just a rejection of gods: it's rejection of all forms of mysticism, supernaturalism and magic based thinking, and that includes cults and the entire spectrum of nonsense. Now we live in the age if pseudo religions, like these cults and the rest. The atheist activists used to be at the centre of pressing this point. They still are and I still admire their activism, but the focus needs to be remade, and would to like to see more people of distinction stand up and press this case. I think of someone like Neil Degrass Tyson, who is widely liked and respected. He's terrified of being called an atheist. Beats about the bush when asked about his position, kinda suggests he's sort of agnostic, maybe kinda, but nothing too definitive. Doesn't want to be unpopular and be loved by everyone. I'd like to tell him that a lot of us in everyday life don't make ourselves popular declaring ourselves atheist but we do it because we think it's the right and honest thing to do and we believe in a secular world.

Yes. We could use a new Hitchens about now...

Will the new messiah be education?

You do you, I do me and let's strive to do or cause no harm.

I don't consider exposing religion as doing harm but doing good.

@David1955 Do or cause no harm is all inclusive to human behavior and has nothing to do with your OP. I also agree with you.

New atheism was largely in response to the socially damaging tragedy of 9-11. We don’t need another catalyst such as that.

Atheism (as a form of identity politics) is best served by local groups doing outreach, serving as an interpersonal support network for the timid or newly out, and bringing suits when they have standing to fight encroachment of religion into the secular public sphere. And larger national organizations such as FFRF and AU help with such legal activism.

The 20th century was full of local atheist groups who probably did good things, but none of that raised the profile or the teeth of atheism in biting religion. I believe in change agents, activists, who lead the charge, and motivate the rest of us.

Some fifteen years ago , I moved to the Biblebelt , although religion had nothing to do with my choice to move here . Being an extreme introvert , it was hard to make new friends . but as I simply joined new groups of those who shared old interests , I was surprised to find that the new friends I was making , weren't particularly religious either , although they were careful whom they let know that . But neighbors and their beliefs are something there is no way to control . Over time the old neighbors moved away and new folks moved into those houses . And while yes , they are religious and go to church on Sundays , they really don't care that I am a non believer . There is no pressure from them about my own beliefs , and I don't pressure them about theirs .

Dawkins and Harris were individual symbols who took a lot of personal flack. Organized atheist groups can have more resilience. Uniting with an organized group fighting for a common purpose is tremendously empowering and motivating.

Individuals alone are more likely at some point to spin off in the wrong direction. A clear focus is prerequisite for an effective group. I would look to an organized group rather than individual icons for a way forward.

While not an atheist group, The Satanic Temple has done some exciting things for us by exposing some of the abuses of religious excess.

You know best what you want this new breed of atheists to do. Will you take it on?

Don't have the profile.

@David1955 Please clarify that.

@yvilletom i don't have a high public or professional profile to do such work. I wish I did, but I don't. That's what I meant.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:592089
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.