Agnostic.com

6 16

LINK Nonreligious Americans Are A Growing Political Force | FiveThirtyEight

In this installment of the FiveThirtyEight Politics podcast, Galen Druke and Perry Bacon Jr. speak with political scientist and pastor Ryan Burge about Americans’ declining religious affiliation and how that trend is shaping our society and politics.

HippieChick58 9 May 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The unaffiliated segment is growing in the U.S., but worldwide it's a different story. Birth rates have something to do with the world trends.

The Pew Research report says:

The religious profile of the world is rapidly changing, driven primarily by differences in fertility rates and the size of youth populations among the world’s major religions, as well as by people switching faiths. Over the next four decades, Christians will remain the largest religious group, but Islam will grow faster than any other major religion. If current trends continue, by 2050 …

One of the main determinants of that future growth is where each group is geographically concentrated today. Religions with many adherents in developing countries – where birth rates are high, and infant mortality rates generally have been falling – are likely to grow quickly. Much of the worldwide growth of Islam and Christianity, for example, is expected to take place in sub-Saharan Africa. Today’s religiously unaffiliated population, by contrast, is heavily concentrated in places with low fertility and aging populations, such as Europe, North America, China and Japan.

[pewforum.org]

If only I could live long enough...hard to believe from where I sit.

Bill Maher said that 25% ID as atheist or something thereof. I assume the info was vetted. & states still outlaw atheists from running for election. Why are we not represented as we are 25%? Because we don't clamber & are not organized.

I'll believe it when atheist get elected to us congress.

You will not live that long.

Great to hear.

That remains to be seen and I for one will believe it after the fact.

I agree, unfortunately

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:594161
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.