Agnostic.com

11 23

Here's why it makes sense to keep your mask on even if the CDC says you don't need to.

Vaccinated, I continue wearing a mask because I don't want to catch COVID-19 variants that are more contagious and deadly. And the vaccines are only 95% effective.

By Dr. Gunisha Kaur, physician and human rights researcher, and Dr. Natalia S. Ivascu, cardiac anesthesiologist and intensivist

"Firstly, vaccines do not confer 100 percent immunity; vaccines don’t mean that nobody dies from the targeted illness. Differences in the degree of exposure, individual medical problems and viral transformation into variant viruses all affect how much immunity a vaccine provides.

"Vaccines against influenza have been available since 1945. Each year, 30,000 to 40,000 people die from influenza in the United States. At best, the Covid-19 vaccines reduce the risk of severe illness by 95 percent. Masks fill in the gaps left by the limitations of vaccines.

"An additional crack in the vaccine armor is that we don’t know how long our post-vaccine antibodies will be adequate to stave off sickness. Similarly, we don’t know if current or future variants will penetrate our vaccine protection.

"And while the severity will likely be less when someone develops an infection post-vaccine, the long-term implications of even mild or moderate cases of Covid-19 are unknown: Some early studies have already found symptoms such as fatigue or dyspnea that persist several months after mild Covid infection, and other studies — such as emerging research on Covid-19 and Alzheimer’s disease risk — will certainly reveal more data.

"So even though a vaccinated person who gets infected is safer, if you can avoid getting it, you probably should."

[nbcnews.com]

LiterateHiker 9 May 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Good point!! I still use my mask even though I’ve been vaccinated a couple of months

I am fully vaccinated but will continue to wear mask whenever I am indoors. I have not had any colds or URI's in the past year.

With you on this!

also I wonder about instances where I can surface contract the virus; the virus doesn't affect me as I am vaccinated, but then I can transfer to others.

Yes, like 1 in 4 having no symptoms. Will still be taking extra precautions to prevent passing on viruses after my second vaccine. Killing them off as much as possible seems a good choice and will slow the creation of variants. They need a host to survive long term.

I feel naked without one now. Like several others I will continue to wear one because people be cra cra 😟

I agree wholeheartedly with the attitude and advice in this article, but I believe they misrepresented one point, which I think is important enough to point out.

The article states that
“At best, the Covid-19 vaccines reduce the risk of severe illness by 95 percent.”

But the study they cite to back up this claim only says

“A two-dose regimen of BNT162b2 conferred 95% protection against Covid-19...”

Getting infected with Covid-19 and having severe illness from it are not the same thing.

From what I have read elsewhere, yes, the vaccines are only about 95% effective at preventing infection, but virtually 100% effective at preventing severe illness.

I still think wearing a mask is good advice. There are a lot of unknowns yet.

skado Level 9 May 14, 2021

I will continue to wear my mask in stores and in crowds. I live in an area that is very anti-vax and I don't feel like taking chances with them. I will continue to use my hand sanitizer religiously. And I will continue to take in my Lysol wipe and wipe off the handles of the carts in stores. And I will continue to wear one glove on the hand that I pump my gas with. When you know better, you do better. And I think we all know better now

It should be normal every time any respiratory virus is spreading, if people with colds wore them it would save a lot of sick days and discomfort. It doesn't have to be life or death and might stave off some bugs becoming drug resistant. There is the old saying,"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

Yes!

I’m beginning to like mask wearing, this is the first time in my life that I’ve gone more than a year without a cold, sniffle or bug of any kind.

I have every intention of continuing to wear a mask, even though I'm fully vaccinated.
Variants are still a concern, and stupid people are everywhere.
I see no reason to stop.

I was out and about this morning, Trader Joe's and Natural Grocer. I kept my mask on at all times, I even drove a few miles with it still up because I forgot it was on. I plan to wear one in public when I'm around strangers for quite a while yet. Besides, it really helps my allergies... It's that time of year again.

It is already hitting 100°F here...believe me, it is hard to “forget” you have a mask on.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:596558
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.