Agnostic.com

31 2

Do you give money to the homeless who hold signs in Traffic?

When i was a broke and struggling college student. I remember pulling up to a red light on the side of an expressway and i saw a man was holding a sign which said " Homeless, will take money or food". This man and i make eye contact and there was something about what i felt when i make eye contact with him compelled me to give him some money. Please understand i only had 20 bucks with an empty gas tank. I let down my window and i said " sir, here is half of all i have". I gave him a 10 bill and i said "please get some food and no drugs or alcohol"! He thanked me and i proceeded through the light to a gas station at the next block. I entered the store, paid 9 bucks for gas and 1 dollar for a soda, and as i approached my car there was the same homeless guy and a woman standing at my car. The homeless guy says " Son, My name is William and this is my wife Janice". "I should tell you that i am not homeless"." I sometimes put myself in different scenario's in order to identify people in society who i find exceptional". He basically told me how impressed he was with my generosity and he said that when we made eye contact, it was like our souls connected and he could see something special inside me. After speaking with William and his wife for about 30 minutes, he hands me a envelope and says " open this as soon as you get home". We parted ways and when i got home, i opened the letter and there was 500 bucks inside.

I use most of that money to pay for a 300 dollar book for my Molecular Biology Class which i couldn't afford at the time.

This random act of kindness put me on a path to questioning Christianity. I had started to realize the human connection we have and how we can effect each others lives.

• 20 votes
  • 24 votes
twshield 8 Nov 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I never give money. However, I frequently buy meals.

I keep money in the center console of my vehicle for this purpose.

I will if I have any to give.
I've also been on the other side of that exchange too.

The vast majority of the time I do not. I passed a homeless person asking for money because he was hungry and I only carry cards. I went into Subway and bought the standard Italian sub with default toppings and gave half to the bum when I was leaving, along with the chips and the drink. He spat on me and threw it into the street without a word. That has made me very cautious about it.

On the flip side, one of the most amazingly invigorating and humbling and refreshing things I've ever done is had breakfast with a homeless person. I used to pass him a few times a week by the highway exit ramp. I decided one day to park at the McDonalds a block away, bought 2 breakfast meals and a couple extra McMuffins. I walked over, sat in the grass with him, ate and talked. The way people looked at us was educational and the way he talked was inspiring. I picked him up and took him to lunch a couple times after that, but then I stopped driving that way and that was a few years ago. I think I may drive by there tomorrow morning for old times sake.

I’ve had this same thing happen, not wanting the food I have. So I usually don’t do that anymore. Unless it’s a kid or a family.

There's a spot for beggars in the city in which I live; just outside the supermarket to which I go weekly. If I see one there, I'll usually drop in a 20p piece if I have one. I tend to do my transactions by card, so I don't often have change.

In some cities here they also have reserved spots.

@Annaleda It's not really reserved, it's just informally claimed.

These are specific. Begging only allowed there. Hundreds of years ago, churches allowed begging (alms) only at certain spots on certain days. And you could only go to one or another. You had to get a token showing you had permission to be there to beg.

I ask them if they are hungry or thirsty. It's a better option than giving them money for drugs or cigarettes.

I give money to organizations which help the homeless, but not to the street panhandlers. I don't know who they are, what they would do with the money, or if they really need it.

I don't give money to people I don't know but being on disability I have visited a food pantry at a local church. I have got to known other clients and we've pooled our resources at times to help someone who needs help: gas money, taking trash to the dump, inviting someone for a meal, etc, passing on used clothing, etc. For me it has nothing to do with the church. We simply stand in line there.

Yes, within my community we do the same. For instance I was awarded a large grant for propane, I’ve given a few gallons to those who need it.

I am a very poor person my self. I get $200 in General Assistance a Month and $178 in SNAP ( Food Stamp ) a month. When I can and I see someone holding a sign IF I have cash in my wallet I will give them a dollar or two. If I am on a bus and someone is trying to get on the bus and they are getting harassed for not having bus fare I try to let the bus driver put their fare on my bus card.

The ones that are standing out with signs are very charismatic, have confidence and are happy with what they are doing. The ones actually in need are depressed, afraid of the stigma, and will do what they can to survive, but they are so depresssed that they don’t have the ambition to ask. I guess the question is: How does one know when someone else is happy enough with themselves and their situation and are getting by fairly well enough, where it doesn’t seem appropriate to give them even more money? I guess just give to the specific charities. But then again, even people living with enough resources can manipulate charitable services when they really don’t need it. So another question is how does one define suffering and misery? It’s subjective and hard to distinguish because everyone’s standard is different. My personal standard is, and I know a lot won’t agree, if I am legitimately consistently happy with myself, and have enough money to make myself happy for the foreseeable future, I always try to spread that happiness to others as much as I can, even monetarily. Money isn’t the key to happiness. Sounds cliche, but I think it’s true.

Currently, I don't. Most of the people I see holding up "homeless" signs are standing in front of the plaza where our local Wal Mart is. I know that place is always hiring. Across the street is a Meijer, also hiring... down the street is McDonald's, also hiring... you get where I'm going with this. There are any number of businesses in my town that will hire anyone who comes along and looks even halfway decent and can fill out the application. You just have to be willing to work for a minimum wage.

On the other hand, when I was a student in Glasgow, I was approached by a one-legged man and asked for a cigarette. (I was a smoker then, everyone in Europe smoked then...) I had a fresh packet in one pocket, so I handed him the 1/4 pack that I had in the other with a cheerful, "Here you go, mate, have these!" I suddenly pictured myself in his place, disabled and seeking the kindness of a random stranger... and I couldn't say no. I made it a habit after that to keep a pound coin or three in my pocket for anyone who seemed needy who approached me. the difference, I suppose, is that Glasgow was a more pedestrian society and it was all face to face.

I did not give a pound to the bloke who asked while he was urinating in the parking lot at 1 AM when my mate and I walked past, though. There are limits to charity.

My town is loaded with professional panhandlers.

Maybe as an organization. If I was going to help a homeless person, I'd probably just buy them something to eat instead because I don't know them enough to just give hem my money.

Only 5% of spangers are legit. I definitely do not give money, I’m not supporting their drug, alcohol, or tobacco habit. Lazy, entitled asshats wanting you to support them.

I will give dog/cat food when I see they have a pet. I work with a local pet store to get very cheap small bags or cans for this purpose.

Before I get backlash, I’ve been homeless twice in my life. The first for about two years in my early twenties and again for this past four years. So I have an intimate relationship with this kind of thing. (When my body gave out after working for 19 years, I lost everything fighting disability. I now have an rv, but am still considered, and treated, as homeless.)

Yes, this happens a lot. I figure they don’t actually NEED food. I mean there are SO many resources for food. Any church will have a food pantry. At our local welfare offices, every Monday, they have table of food out for who ever wants/needs it.

I could go on and on about resources. They are every where. People choose not to access them.

Yes I do or coffee and or bread roll dependingup on how much i have in my own pocket when I see someone I also give money I make by doing odd jobs to 'Age Concern'

Summertime in Houston from the worktruck I usually give cold water, I can’t afford much, so I fulfill needs.

I don't, we have a very generous social security system in Australia and a strong community sector, I agree that more money needs to be applied to both, but people "begging" is not necessary in Australia, it indicates there are other issues involved. The "homeless" guy you mention sounds awesome.

There is an assumption that "beggars" are homeless. Since I visited Maryland... was pointed to me there is around the Capital Beltway a band of beggars well organized on certain spots... young females of a certain eastern european ethnicity all carry a purse, better dressed than many workers, they work in shifts and they don't leave until relieved. Remind me of this overweight man in Jacksonville FL that drives to his beggar spots and his wife and children wait in the car. I was in a mall in DC with an old friend and this young, maybe 20 or 19 years old guy was begging money for food... she offered to give him a healthy snack bar she had on her purse and he declined. Around the corner a young female also begging money for food... both signs done by the same hand. In Baltimore you see plenty of "crack addicts" in their spots. I try to differentiate beggars from homeless... homeless don't seem to ever be beggars unless they are really hungry. In Vegas you see the homeless with shopping cars full of their stuff and with suitcases and luggage. I want to help the Needy but always question if they really are the needy. I consider begging money for drugs or alcohol a Capital Sin within the Realms of my Atheist/Agnosticity. And since I am from the Flower Child Generation... circa 60-70's I hung out in my youth growing up in Puerto Rico with the most Glorified of all Homeless in America.... The Hippies!!!! No better home than a Caribe Beach all year long.

Here's some of my experiences :

Befriended a homeless guy, gave him blankets, food etc. He said he was looking for work. Every time I saw him he reeked of alcohol. He agreed he'd never get hired unless he stopped.
He never did.

There was a homeless camp in some private woods near my house. Trespassing, drugs, noise, hangin' out, unbelievable amounts of trash. One day I went in while everyone was gone, and completely dismantled the camp. Took tarps down from the trees, and collected 8 very large black bags of some real nasty trash. A local business let me use their dumpster. Done !

A local kind Cop offered to drive some habitual panhandlers to a day job with his Brother's construction company - for good money. They refused, saying they made more standing on the corner !

Found an area in the bushes, full of perfectly good,uneaten meals that kind people had given to panhandlers. Can't buy drugs, smokes, and booze with food !

Some panhandlers arrive at their corner in very nice cars - that they own.

I learned the best way to help, is to donate to local shelters and food kitchens - NOT individuals.

I was homeless for a while when I was young. I lived on the street for a few months. I will tell you this: Most people who are genuinely in need don't ask for help because of the stigma. It's generally easier for them to apply for government assistance because it's less embarrassing than standing out there with a cardboard sign. Most of those who do stand out there in traffic have no conscience and are gaming the system already. Most people don't want to burden others with their problems and are afraid of being embarrassed in front of friends and relatives so they don't stand out in the open and spare change people. That's been my experience.

I donate monthly to a cat rescue, and give what i can when i can to others, I befriended a homeless guy (young kid really) last year, and his dog, a white pitbullm Mario and the dog Popeye, I took them to my vet and got his dog vaccinations, flea treatment (no fleas!! ) and bathed and groomed. I let him use the shower at our funeral home when he wanted, and helped him out financially and gave him rides here and there as well as food. He eventually moved on to the Okanagan, he got a job at an orchard and he could take his dog. I tend to help people when they have a pet, I do love animals.

I would offer food (if I had any with me), bottle of water, and contact info for local shelter.

I knew a guy ..TRUTH he made a hundred a week end,,Tax free..Paid for his pot,...

I believe in charity on an individual basis. I don't trust charity corporations. I will give money or whatever to a person and not give limitations on what uses they can put it to. If it is alcohol or drugs, maybe that donation will allow them to reach that rock bottom level to get help, or give them some moments of happiness, it is not for me to judge. If all I have is a dollar, and I don't need to spend that dollar, and someone else needs a dollar, I will give that dollar to them.

I give by my work. I will buy food but not give money. I offered work to someone once and he said he could make $600 where he was standing and refused to do the work. I hate it but I feel most o them are scammers

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5969
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.