Agnostic.com

20 12

They say don't talk with an INFP that's experiencing an existential crisis.
That's exactly what I am an INFP that's experiencing an existential crisis.
If you need positivity stop reading this post NOW.
You have been warned.
I'm kind of overwhelmed by nihilistic thoughts and have no one to talk to.
I mean, there's people I could talk with but I don't want the people I care about to be exposed to my realizations of the futility of "self" and "life"
I'm not really depressed just generally exhausted.
It has been worse in the past and I survived then so I know I'll survive now unless killed by something I don't see coming.
It's sort of pointless though, even this post is pointless because I won't be talked out of perceived truth and these are hard thoughts to share without people reacting with Disney optimism but there's no reason to be optimistic. There are no happy endings that aren't metaphors for orgasms.
I just have to explore this though, people keep discovering the same thing over and over throughout history. It's even in the Bible:
"Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."
Supposedly written by Solomon... and
"To be or not to be" by William Shakespeare.
I am oddly compelled to gaze into this abyss drawn like a moth to the moon but there is no light to draw me.
The place I'm in isn't the darkness, no one returns from the darkness.
Perhaps that's why I do it, it's frightful to look into the abyss, but nice to walk back to safety once I've had my fill of it.
A complete waste of time, just like everything else.

Willow_Wisp 8 May 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

i tried it was too much

i started off well but it got hard

but ur deep so it represents what , ur `self is void in ur own mind?

Yes, it doesn't matter. It is still feels good to play the role of someone who is naive and thinks it matters to someone or something... It doesn't matter either way. You choose 😊

I wish you well. But, I’m selfish: I have enjoyed/appreciated/thought about/& more of what you have been kind enough to share (and am obviously not alone in this). I hope to see more. Take heart.

It's like you reached into my brain and took the jumbled up shit I can't express and translated it so others could understand. I don't think I'm depressed; I think it just is.

I would like to add to the very wise responses to your post. We have power that most of the time we do not recognize. That is power over ourselves. Sometimes it take huge strength and determination to exercise that power...but...that is also the power to choose. Falling into the abyss has its comfortable component, so choice is essential. Choosing to rise and following through takes huge strength. I give you my compassion and at the same time, I tell you that we can be soldiers and fight the abyss. But the things we allow to maintain that abyss can be very sneaky and hidden. So making that choice has to be with great determination. Camus wrote about it. He called it "despair" which lies in wait for us all. This defines the battlefield of life. But life can be full of sun and beauty. So I send you a magic ladder and hope you will make the climb.

Think you answered your own question if there was one, being in meaningless means you know where you are right where you need to be. There is nothing beyond the void so you gaze from the perfect vantage point. Hard to explain that's why we feel, till we had our fill

Thank you for being vulnerable

It seems to be my defining feature.

My existential crisis consists of knowing that humanity's problems are all solvable, but will never be solved because people have "faith" and reject evidence.

Human problems, like "The Trans" issue, solvable by just realizing that other people are different than you and no big deal.
Trans people are NOT causing problems, people with problems with trans people are causing problems.
The same with racial problems, feminism, gay people, etc... and so forth and so on.
It's tiring.

If life is meaningless in the sense it doesn't come from a god-mommy, you are free to define your own meaning, on your terms.

Enjoy.

I just hope you are taking care of yourself, and "a complete waste of time" I thought that was a Monty Python DVD ROM game. 😉 As for myself I guess I'm too shallow to worry about the meaning of my existence. 🤔

That makes two of us.

"If you stare into the abyss long enough the abyss stares into you." Friedrich Nietzsche. Shakespeare's Hamlet: "To be or not to be that is the question" Camus: "There is only one serious philosophical question, whether or not to commit suicide."

It seems to me that all of the above reflect states of mind, perceptions of who we think we are or what we think about. However, none of the above statements are existential dilemmas. It is reckoned that the average person has more than 6 thousand thoughts a day. Thoughts about the nature of oneself or the world are by their very nature confined by language to be about the person, state of affairs or object of thought and can never be or contain that which they so describe. Language is a useful tool but we often forget that it is a tool.

I think that most of our perceptions are coloured by our thoughts and we often walk into a situation with a script already prepared and seldom experience the situation as it happening.

I like your posts Willow, however, living to make me feel something isnt going to get either of us anywhere. 🙂🙃 See you later.

Good days, bad days. This is one of the bad ones. However, you know they'll get better. You've been around too long not to know.

read Camus about "absurd man"

Ah! Sisyphus.

@Willow_Wisp the absurd man according to Camus lives without appeal (gets along with what he has) and knows his limits.

@TheDoubter On the one hand, love and puppies, on the other hand cold dark vacuum of space.
Absurd.

@TheDoubter I actually like how Rumi put it once, "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there."

@Willow_Wisp i'll bone up on Rumi. i only know that he was a poet

@TheDoubter It's not for everyone, but I love Rumi, if you haven't read his stuff and it's something you enjoy I'm jealous of the experience you're about to have. If it's not for you then it'll just be 'blah" and you have my apologies for wasting your time.
So it'll be boring or awesome, good luck.

@Willow_Wisp I know only his name but not his works. I'm going to see what he is all about. Your effort to fan the flames isn't a waste of my time. There are many writers whose work I should explore. Thanks. I'll give you my reaction.

@Willow_Wisp I now own "Selected Poems of Rumi." I'll report back on my findings.

Look at Malevich's art, especially his famous square.

I'm a fan, I love his self portrait.

My realist attitude today:

Yes, my psychology teacher told me at 17 years old that depressed people have a more realistic take on life. He also told us we didn’t have to attend classes and wondered why I was playing cards in the canteen for so many of them.
He went on to be principal and give my bro crap when he applied to do studies there, (because we had the same last name back then),, even though my brother was the opposite of me at the time, and even then was the most hard working kind guy you’ll ever meet.
Back then I thought if something was hard it wasn’t worth doing.
But I’m just trying to distract you lols.
The times I’ve felt most hopeless are the times I’ve achieved my current goals and don’t know what I want to do next. Sure life is finite, but I bet if you bear with a few months you’ll find a want, a goal, a purpose to fight for. I hope so. In the mean time here’s a song my brother said helped him through a tough time, seeing as a lot of this reminded me of him:

If you can’t hold on, hold on. Now Disney time: I appreciate your comments and have come to respect your input on here, please look after you x

Shit happens, sometimes it's good shit, sometimes it's bad shit. We are all up Shit's Creek.

That picture, it's fucking spot on!

I feel your desire to peer into the void. I am not an eternal optimist, good things could happen, but they may not. I am also exhausted and it is a daily struggle to find the energy to go on when there is so much chaos in the world.

djs64 Level 7 May 21, 2021

You are right, “there’s no reason to be optimistic”.
But equally no reason to be pessimistic. All affect is chosen.

Best regards...

skado Level 9 May 21, 2021

True, I'm psychological in neutral, but the subject mater is commonly considered negative.

@Willow_Wisp We can't move out of bad thinking without disregarding what polite society (even friends) think. Meditate on non-attachment and letting go. Watch vid's about those subjects and be free of the void.

@rainmanjr Why do you think it's "bad thinking"? To me it's just thinking, but with no one I can discuss it with.

All have their demons to deal with.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:598067
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.