Agnostic.com

18 12

Today is my 21st birthday, but i just feel like I'm celebrating someone else's birthday. Ever since i was young we go to church every time a family member has a birthday, i don't mind going when it's my siblings' or parents' birthday, cause it's their day, so i just give in. We also go to church on some sundays when we're not busy, I don't like it, but i don't want to have a fight with them. They know for a fact that I'm an atheist, they just keep forcing me though.

On my 17th birthday, my dad allowed me not to go to church, no sarcasm from him at all. But what happened was my mom and siblings were busy so they couldn't go, my dad went alone. When he got back he got mad at me and yelled at me for not going with him. That was my second worst birthday. The birthday after that was my worst, my dad slapped me in the face for suggesting we go to a different religion's church, i just wanted them to understand how i feet whenever i get forced to go to church with them. Ever since that birthday, i just agree to go to church on my birthdays. This isn't the only reason i feel like it's not my own birthday, they asked me what i wanted for dinner, i asked if they could cook my favorite meal, they said no cause they wanted to eat outside. I suggested a place, but we ate somewhere else. They asked what i wanted to order, i pointed one dish out, they acknowledged it, but when we started eating, i was told they didnt order it. They also wanted to watch a movie, they didnt even ask me what i wanted to watch, they just kept asking me to download movies for them so we could watch after dinner. I wanted to play video games with my friends, even just for a while. We didnt end up watching any movie cause they were tired, but i wasnt allowed to play with my friends.

I don't know if I'm being over dramatic. And i know I'm being an attention seeker right now, but i really wanted to vent some of these feelings. I hope one day i get to celebrate my birthday, and i mean MY birthday, not my family's.

LVL1Pro 3 May 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Happy Birthday 🎈 It is mine as well. 😁 60 today.

Happy Birthday. Personally I avoid all the drama I can.

I'm not sure what the parental/child or family dynamic or customs are in the . But I suspect there's deeper issues going on than just the birthday. But, nobody's gonna stand up for u until u standup for urself. I agree with the other ppl that a new approach is needed but only u can decide how ur gonna go about it. Whether it be an attempt at civil conversation but from what u say that doesn't sound like it's work, or if ur gonna be confrontational and tell them who u are, what u want, and what u expect and will accept, or u pack up a back and leave. But this is one decision u gotta decide

Happy 21st bday btw

Wow boy. You do have problems. 21well, happy birthday from me. I can understand how you are faring living in the Phillipines. Seems to me like your family don't much care for what you think or want. Maybe it is time for you to 'grow up', get a job and move away from them.

I'm sorry you are going through this.
They have ZERO legal say so in your life.
If you are financially, dependent find a way to free yourself as soon as possible.
Even if you have to be uncomfortable for a good while and walk. bike or bus to work.

Congrats on the Big 21! By every measure you are now an adult and by law you are entitled to exercise your free will and do as you wish. Now if that isn't the best birthday present ever then I don't know what is. 👍

Now that you are an adult, maybe if is possible put some healthy distance between you and your family and remember that you and only you can protect your feelings.

ur not dramatic! u just don't get to feel special on ur special day which can be depressing at any age. seems to me that ur family wants things to always stay the same and for u to do what is expected of u (religion sux eh). i think ur at that age where u need to "put up or shut up", either way im sure u will still be loved. my advice would be for u to go to something for u before the day is up. perhaps do something shocking or chase a lil pleasure or perhaps both if u know what i mean 😉 😛

I really hate getting into fights with anyone , so try to avoid them , while still getting what I want . Here's a hint . Don't be there . Leave a note , very early in the morning , before anyone else is up , perhaps stuck to the fridge , that you will be away for the entire day , as you have plans . Then plan a day for yourself that you will enjoy - perhaps a day at the beach , or movies , but someplace where they are not going to find you . I wouldn't even go back until the following morning . Just don't go back drunk or high ion drugs . Make a list of the things that you did on your birthday . If you are confronted , then you ask them if they would have enjoyed spending their own birthday doing what you did on yours.

Happy Birthday! Welcome aboard!

Happy birthday! Be the boss of your own life. 🙂

Ryo1 Level 8 May 24, 2021

Welcome to the neighborhood,,,, and welcome to OUR world... We (most of us that is, perhaps not all of us) have gone through the same thing, or something similar. It's a shame people do that to their children, but it is how they were brought up, and they don't know better, or are not able to see beyond their ideals of how life should be. It's sad, I know... But you obviously are above and past that.. Good for you.. Again, welcome to a better life. Here, you are loved and appreciated no matter your beliefs one way or the other regarding religion. Happy birthday. 😎👍🎈🥂🎂

Welcome to the asylum. Enjoy your stay.

Happy Birthday!

You have the right to spend your birthdays with whomever you wish, wherever you wish.

If you're still living at home, it might be time to explore other options.
Good luck.

Your feelings are absolutely valid. Your family doesn't deserve to be a part of YOUR birthdays anymore. You are an adult and have the right to set boundaries.

It is your life and from this moment on.... You are an Adult.... TAKE COMMAND OF YOUR LIFE!!!

Happy birthday welcome to club celebrate it any which way you want.

Happy Birthday!!! Welcome!!!

Sounds as if it is time to announce you are an adult and can make your own choices.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:598701
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.