Agnostic.com

12 26

Dennise won $60,976 in scholarships so far. Many are renewable.

The girl I'm mentoring, Dennise, loves surprising me with good news. Today she said she won two more scholarships, bringing the total to 19. She's not done. Scholarship award letters will be mailed through August 2021.

With renewable scholarships and work-study jobs, her bachelor degree will be paid for. She won't have to get loans.

Wearing masks, we met at her parent's kitchen table on Saturday mornings beginning last September. With my help, Dennise applied for 42 scholarships and four universities. Now that we're all vaccinated, it's nice to see everyone's beautiful face and smiles.

"I have another surprise for you," Dennise said. "I'm a valedictorian! Actually, my senior class has 14 valedictorians with a 4.0 grade point average. Only two of us are Hispanic. The majority have professional parents like doctors and lawyers." Dennise's parents are Mexican immigrants who speak Spanish and very little English.

"This tells me that with hard work and determination, I can succeed in anything I do," Dennise said. She's right. Dennise is the first person in her family to graduate from high school and go to college.

In September, Dennise will start at the prestigious University of Washington. She will major in applied math and music (viola and percussion instruments).

"Last December when I applied to University of Washington, I didn't realize I could apply for the Honors program, too," she said. "I can apply for the Honors program as a sophomore."

The University of Washington requires all students to be COVID-19 vaccinated by September. Excellent.

Dennis made this embroidery for me. I will treasure it. "It's the least I could do to show my appreciation for all of your help," Dennise said.

So proud of this girl!

LiterateHiker 9 May 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Awesome

Woot-woot! WTG, Dennise!

I'm seeing a pattern emerge. You take pride in everything you do, and everything you influence. I have long been envious of your amazing confidence and self-esteem. I've had students who have gone on to great things, but I figure their accomplishments belong just to them.

@BitFlipper

I am so proud of Dennise! Look what she accomplished. She's a remarkable young person.

She plays first chair viola in the high school orchestra, Icicle Youth Symphony and a Chamber group. As a freshman, she began taking lessons in percussion instruments. In the 2020 and 2021 WA State Solo and Ensemble competition, she won:

1. First in viola solo;
  2. First in snare drum solo; and
  3. First in mallets solo playing marimba.

In concerts, she plays viola or percussion in different songs.

One of her goals is to help her parents buy their first house.

Her mother works packing fruit. Her father works nights doing maintenance at a fruit -packing company. Both quit elementary school to work in fields to help feed their large families.

Her older brother dropped out of high school.

Thanks for caring and giving of yourself

Way to go!

Good for you, and good for Dennise. Hooray! 😀

What wonderful news Kathleen! I know you have done loads of work helping this young woman, and you should be given a Hardy pat on the back for your help and encouragement!! 🥰

@Redheadgammy

It has been an honor to work with Dennise. Her writing skills improved each week.

People with English as a second language struggle writing in English. Even with perfect grades like Dennise. It may be because she thinks in Spanish.

@LiterateHiker Thank goodness she has you to help her make her way in the world!!😍

Having graduated from college "debt free" and with a Math GPA of 3.62/4.0, share with her my
mantra that has been validated across my 30 Yrs in Software/Systems Engineering jobs:
"Math Is Your Friend"
My Congrats to Dennise!

Congratulations Dennise for more scholarships. And congratulations to both of you for the hard work getting things together. I know you’re so proud

Awesome

bobwjr Level 10 May 29, 2021

Great news.

Denise is an inspiring young woman. You should be proud of her, and yourself. You directed and inspired her. You have been a force for good in her life.

@HippieChick58

Thank you, dear. Being a college mentor is the most rewarding volunteer work I have ever done.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:599863
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.