Agnostic.com

28 5

Depression from Nihilism

For my fellow nihilists -- How do you cope with the unrelenting numbness and depression that come with nihilism? I'm trying to avoid antidepressants, but I literally don't know what else to do at this point. I have fallen into this abyss, and I'm lost in it. I'm scared that this is how I am going to feel for the rest of my life. I just keep going deeper and deeper into this thing, with no light at the end of the tunnel anymore. I've been in this state of mind for approximately a year now. It's hard to make people understand what I'm going through when they just don't get it. They don't see the world the way that I do and they never will. I know this is a dark topic and a depressing post, but it's part of the reason I even joined this site. This feeling is isolating. Nihilism is this trap; that once it gets ahold of you, there seems to be no way out. Depression is not the root issue, at hand.. nihilism is. The nihilism came first, then the depression followed. Have you found anything that works to get you through the day? Have you resorted to medication to bring you some sort of comfort? And if you did -- did the medication ease the numbness that comes with nihilism or did it just make you more numb? I've had a bad experience with antidepressants in the past, so this is my absolute last resort. Maybe there's another way?

TiffanyJV 3 Nov 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Depression does not come from nihilism, but comes from chemical imbalances in the brain. Yes, stress can create the imbalances. Essentially, there are two ways of breaking our of the depression. The first is taking antidepressants, but that alone will not work. You will still need to make yourself get physically active and DO SOMWTHING! The second way is to put yourself into a situation which will force you to feel powerful emotions. As an extreme ex ample, in some treatment centers, people suffering with depression have been given toothbrushes and told to the floor. It doesn't take long before one doing so gets so angry that he blows his or her top. That "blowing the top" is a first step out. I've suffered real depression at least two times in my life.

People refer to Nietzsche as a nihilist, and yet he's quite possibly the most life-affirming philosopher in all of Continental philosophy and someone from whom all freethinkers could benefit. There is no afterlife - this is it. Make the most of it.

I get that this is a very bleak time politically for open minded folks such as ourselves, especially if you're a woman, a person of color, or someone who isn't wired for heteronormativity. For many, however, this isn't a surprise. A vast majority of the right has been every bit as racist and sexist as they are now. The difference is that with this president they feel emboldened to no longer only speak of it in coded language about their prejudices. But that has sparked an uprising from centrists to the most radical left to fight it. And that, to me, is but one of the positives I take from an awful situation. You don't have to wear rose-colored lenses to see positives in dire situations.

Finally, if you're struggling with depression, please know that I understand your attitude for resisting antidepressants - I was right there for many years. But depression isn't a choice. Antidepressants turned my life around, allowing me to be the person I always wanted to be but couldn't because of the black haze of depression I couldn't see through.

I'm sorry for the length of my response. Admittedly brevity isn't my strong suit. ?

People refer to Nietzsche as a nihilist, and yet he's quite possibly the most life-affirming philosopher in all of Continental philosophy and someone from whom all freethinkers could benefit. There is no afterlife - this is it. Make the most of it.

I get that this is a very bleak time politically for open minded folks such as ourselves, especially if you're a woman, a person of color, or someone who isn't wired for heteronormativity. For many, however, this isn't a surprise. A vast majority of the right has been every bit as racist and sexist as they are now. The difference is that with this president they feel emboldened to no longer only speak of it in coded language. But that has sparked an uprising from centrists to the most radical left to fight it. And that, to me, is but one of the positives I take from an awful situation. You don't have to wear rose-colored lenses to see positives in dire situations.

Finally, if you're struggling with depression, please know that I understand your attitude for resisting antidepressants - I was right there for many years. But depression isn't a choice. Antidepressants turned my life around, allowing me to be the person I always wanted to be but couldn't because of the black haze of depression I couldn't see through.

I'm sorry for the length of my response. Admittedly brevity isn't my strong suit. ?

Not a Nihilist but for the most part it's about realizing that despite the inevitable end, we still have today. Today, we can be happy. Today, we can find joy in life. Today, we can be alive. Every moment is a gift, a blessing if you so choose to define it, knowing that it will all one day be gone. Life becomes the most precious commodity, and that feeling of numbness is quickly replaced by a warmth of understanding that, while the void inevitably claims us all, we can still turn back and look towards to light that still shines each and every day.

Hi, new here and just happened upon you and your intriguing post. I have been through this experience and am just coming out of it! My period of numbness/darkness lasted almost two years and i swear it feels like i was a zombie. I am SO glad i'm finally on the "up-swing"! I feel like i was unconscious or half-dead or like my heart was shut down, it's like i was watching life go by around me but somehow unable to be a participant in my own life! I may have some suggestions for you and am glad to offer my help, though i'm not sure i can. Msg me if you would like to discuss this further. And btw all anti-depressants did for me was to numb my emotions even more and made my thinking "foggy", i am personally against anti-depressants except in extreme cases. Doctors are all to ready to dish out drugs that they don't rly understand and there are other natural things you can do, also medicinal plants can be helpful as well🙂

Nihilism has shown me that defining reality is at our mercy. Because nothing holds meaning outside of the subjective, is for me, incredibly liberating. I understand the struggle to find the illusive "whats the point" in this chaotic society of clashing and contradictory meanings. It is up to you, to find and define an existence that makes you comfortable. Medicants are just a way to the can down the road, albeit however effective that is in the short term. You, as an individual, enlightened to the reality of a blank universe, are truly free. Free to create subjectiveness unique to your world view. Free to redefine previous expectations and future experience without the shackles of predefined objectivity. Depression is a monster, tis true. Yet, it is only a definition of our lives and our selves. I clambered out of that hole, by seeking the perspectives of others. Knowing that all is false, objectively, allowed me to confront those dangerous definitions with perspectives I was incapable of on my own. No one is right, and there is no meaning, beyond that which we create or share with others. Knowing I was not alone, was not flailing into the void, was the singular reason I can consider myself to have conquered that immutable beast. You deserve a chance. A chance to change your reality. A chance to learn new perspectives. A chance to conquer your doubt. My advice is simple, seek out those who share or have subjectively come to terms, with a blank reality. That person/Those people, can possibly give you a definition of your reality that allows you to climb out of the philosophic hole you feel trapped in. Don't surrender just yet, this reality is amazing, and we have only one life to live before oblivion. Let me know your thoughts on this, if thats comfortable for you.

I'm sorry to hear of your depression. That's tough, and I've had a depressive period in my life too. Depression is like a habit, and there are actually strengthening of depressive neuronal pathways the longer you're depressed. Like a wheelbarrow that is pushed through the same rut everyday so goes your depression. The more days you push the wheel through the rut, the deeper it gets and the harder it becomes to get out of the rut... the longer you're depressed the harder it gets to escape the grip of your depression. I have never used medication to feel better. So, I can't speak for that.
I haven't read anyone else's posts. So, maybe I'm just repeating some other ideas. But maybe my thoughts will help even a little bit.
On the subject of nihilism: I agree with you that humanity, including me, in itself on a macro scale has no meaning to the universe whatsoever. However, I don't believe that our lives are inherently meaningless on a micro scale. The meaning of our lives is shaped by us, and although it has no meaning on a grand scale, our lives matter to our family and friends and to ourselves. Maybe our lives are fleeting compared to the vastness of space and time, but we can have significant meaning to ourselves and those around us for the brief period that we exist. Unfortunately, our lives are too short, and I have chosen to try as much as possible not to waste any of it being sad or depressed. I want to enjoy the only life I'll ever have! That doesn't mean that I don't have rough days, but i fight through them remembering that tomorrow is a new day. And since I have no control over the importance of humanity on a macro scale, generally I just avoid thinking about humanity's lack of meaning. If I begin to be sad that there is no afterlife, for example, I will distract myself with something else and remind myself that just because the party will end eventually, I will enjoy the party now and not waste time thinking about what will or won't be when its over. I don't know if this helps, but I thought maybe it will make a difference to you. I'd love to hear what you think about this post.

Depression is a natural reatction to the world we live in.I never take any pharma drugs,they rob you of your conciousness and all emotion.I also suffer with depression,but find that yoga,painting and smoking a little ganja help.also,making others happy seems to make me happier too.for me,lonelyness is my biggest hurtle.

Most of these are tl;dr for my own personal taste. I think the fact that you're asking the question and looking to break the cycle is the first place to start. Beyond that, get out and forge some new friendships and experience some things around town (food, music, shows, or whatever else is at least marginally interesting). The world is a lonely place when it largely looks like your living room.

I'm not sure what your past is like, but mine is full of abuse at the hands of friends and family.

I grew up in an extremely religious environment. When I went to NYC to study acting I decided to look into other religions. I found them all to be extremely similar: there were a lot of warm fuzzys on the surface, but beneath the surface was brain washing, control, and abuse of power.

I tried embracing logic. I still do. I think logic is the best tool available for comprehending what's around and inside us. Logic is nihilistic. There is no hope in logic - there is only data.

With all the hope removed from how I saw the world, living became harder and harder to justify. I mean, hope is just a delusion anyway; something we use to keep us from giving up.

But how do I keep going when there is essentially no reason to? Why should I keep putting up with the endless shit I feel like I'm constantly drowning in? What makes anything worth it?

The way I think now might sound quite strange, but I'll try to detail it: The only reason I do anything is because I choose to. Not because I want to. Not because I expect anything back. Because I choose to.

I learned years ago that anything I cling to, any reason I have for doing something can be (and often is) taken away from me. What do I do when my reason is taken away? Well, if my only reason is "because I choose to" then I have an advantage - because I am the only person who controls what I choose. Pressures may make certain choices more difficult, more painful, or easier... but ultimately that doesn't matter because no matter how difficult or painful something is I am able to do it, if I so choose.

For me, at least, all of this makes living very hard - especially considering that I'm an introvert and don't often share my struggles or pain with anyone.

I have learned, though, that having a support system is necessary. I don't really believe anyone cares about me (in fact, I struggle to believe that when no one is around I even exist).

I'm lucky enough to have a very small group of people who do care about me - whether I believe them or not. For me, that isn't enough, though. On Nov 29th of 2017 I attempted suicide. I realized while in the hospital that, at least for now, my depression, anxiety, and the weight of my abuse throughout life is just too much for me to bear without medication.

I'd love to listen and talk with you about... whatever, if that would help (and Agnostic thinks we're a 99% match, so chances are we'll have stuff to talk about 🙂). I know we've never met or talked, but I care about you and want to support you however possible. I don't about you because I feel like I should or need to. I don't care about you because I expect anything back.

I care about you because I choose to <3

Hit me up if you want. I'm here.

go to the doctors my friend. they won't just give you drugs but its worth a try. don't fight yourself over what is.

Hm, I definitely sympathize with your situation. I would suggest that depression is probably playing a vital role here. Even if your discovery of nihilism triggered depressive mechanisms in your brain, those mechanisms existed in your head before they found nihilism- they just had to be triggered by something.

I say that it's probably depression that's the main problem because I've had depression coupled with an existential crisis as well. Had I not had cognitive distortions feeding into the existential crisis, it probably wouldn't have been nearly as much of a crisis. As something of a nihilist myself, I can say that there are positive ways of looking at it. Hell, I'd honestly advise looking up buddhism, taoism, and zen, all of which seem to have elements of nihilism. Yet they are overall considered positive philosophies.

It's not so much the nihilism so much as how you look at nihilism- and how you look at nihilism is determined by your mindset, which is influenced heavily by depression. Just know that people like me have been able to accept nihilism and look at it through a positive lens. So even if you can't get away from nihilism, there's ways of living happily with it. I wish the best of luck to you, and as with other commentators, would urge you to seek therapy or a counsellor.

I have to ask, I have looked at your profile and i looked at the meaning. What does Nihilism mean to you?

Been in a similar place on and off for many years. I have great empathy for your struggle. I decided to try antidepressants and tho they helped stabilize my state, they did little for my darkness. I recently attended an outpatient program, pretty intense, focusing on cognitive skills, and that helped a great deal! I still struggle but I now have some concrete skills for coping...

If you truly believe that your depression comes from your understanding of Nihilism and not the other way around, you need reassess your understanding and/or interpretation of Nihilism. Read more and define what that understanding "means" you and your life. Bottom line...you are a beautiful young woman. Get up, turn off Netflix and embrace something that inspires you, no matter how radical it may be. You don't have to believe in anything but yourself. Even if it leads to the path of pure hedonism.

I can relate to a lot of what you say and what others have written. There are many possible contributing factors. I myself see the universe as insane and have have a hard time dealing with it intellectually. AS a doctor and a serious nutritionist, I would recommend feeding your brain what would minimize any nervous tension levels. Read Grain Brain, by Dr Perlmutter. THere are many foods that should be avoided. I eat a very high good fat diet as does DR Perlmutter, who is a brain doctor. He also exercises a lot. I am a cyclist and find that cycling helps my brain chemistry a great deal. Once I get past about an hour on the bike, my entire perspective changes. Try It.

I don't consider myself a "Nihilist", but I've dealt with some depression and dark thoughts a time or two in my life. While I've never been medicated, I have found that exercise and meeting with good friends or family helps. I know when I was feeling very depressed the last thing I wanted to do, was be around people or go exercise. When I find myself thinking those thoughts I try to recognize the repetitious thought patterns that lead me deeper in to the dark and focus on breaking those. I hope that helps.

I live documentaries. I also operate with a pretty strong plausibility ethic, something plausible has enough truth to be concerning. Anyways I ended up making myself so sad. The world was in the shitter already. We’re just waiting for the next swifter moo event to start over. I had such a funk.
I didn’t need therapy to dig out. I definitely backed away from the documentaries. I did a cold turkey break from that dark global view. I kept things light until I could control my nihilism better. Friends are good for a distraction. So are kids.

TonyW Level 4 May 14, 2018

Wow! I really relate. I lost my aunt at just 54 from als. Every sense I have been in this state of wondering if anything matters at all because it goes away in the end. I can’t stop thinking about that it has engulfed my thinkink and caused massive depression. I can’t hardly function. Thank you for sharing. I do hope you don’t give up.

I went through something similar a couple of years ago. I went on for almost a year thinking that nothing mattered and there was no reason to keep living. But then one day, as I lied in bed wallowing in the misery, I realized something. We all have reasons to live, they may not be the same, or come from a higher power, but we all have things that matter to us. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you have to find what is important to you. Be self absorbed a bit.

I went through something similar a couple of years ago. I went on for almost a year thinking that nothing mattered and there was no reason to keep living. But then one day, as I lied in bed wallowing in the misery, I realized something. We all have reasons to live, they may not be the same, or come from a higher power, but we all have things that matter to us. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you have to find what is important to you. Be self absorbed a bit.

I'm new here and an older man. I would certainly call it depression. We have to remember that life is not meaningless, but life is what you make it. In other words - are you doing what you like to be doing and are you missing someone to do it with? If this is the case then you would need to find someone to share your life with. Maybe the 2 of you could make a life. It can be as simple as just 2 people and one being excited to see the other at the end of the day. There does not have to be children and a traditional family, etc. I have to work every day but my life is all about what I love to do or somebody who might be sharing things with me. Sometimes it's movies and music, food, TV. Other times you are happy doing your own things "together but apart" and just knowing the other person is there. Behind your own closed doors both of you are safe from the world. I have been this way through 3 marriages and one long term relationship. I go on as I do because I realize that people do change, and things in general change. I'm a loner and an introvert but one way or another there is always tomorrow.

Sunshine helps. Getting out into the country for some fresh air helps too. We that suffer from depression get into ruts where the depression feeds on itself. Going out for a stroll is enough change to break the cycle. Also extra vitamins helps.

Well I don't think life is about possessions rather its more about sharing. Sure you could have everything in the world but what would that mean if you couldn't share it with anyone. Thats hard to do when everyone around you is just so against you once they find out you're not xtian but that just makes who you are more special than they could ever understand. Don't let desire or attachment take a hold on your life find some people that understand and love you for who you are not what you say you are, and the rest will follow. I know its hard but what makes a person a professional is that they keep going when anyone else would quit. If your kids are going thru the same thing when they get older be their leader, inspiration, encouragment and show them that its possible no matter how many obsticles are in your way.

I understand your dilemma. I've battled depression/anxiety/depersonalization/derealization to some degree since I was a teenager,with limited relief from medications. Don't give up.Maybe consulting a psychologist will be better option than a psychiatrist. I think your nihilistic view of the universe may have led you to the same view of your existence,which is understandably depressing. To help offset this,I've found it is of the utmost importance to create a meaning and purpose to MY OWN LIFE. What are the things and activities that gave you joy,pleasure,and a sense of fulfillment before you adopted nihilism? They can still do that! Be selfish in these pursuits.With me,some of those are indulging in art,nature,music,and studying science and history. Immersing yourself in interests and activities you find fulfilling gives YOUR life purpose. Also,it's proven that a healthy diet,getting the proper amount of quality sleep,and regular exercise can also be very important to relieving depression. I'm naturally introverted,and don't know many people who see the world as I do either. But staying connected with a few close friends and family members I'm comfortable with has helped me also.It's still an amazing universe,and even though it may have no absolute purpose and meaning,that doesn't mean your life can't. Stay involved in it!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6002
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.