Agnostic.com

6 16

Who's the smart one?

TheoryNumber3 8 June 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Total nonsense. Stop generalizing about people.

At 29, I got a Master degree in part, because I love learning. I have been a voracious reader and writer since a young age. In my experience, most people with college degrees are more intelligent and interested in literature, art, the world and different cultures.

With online dating, local guys I met with just a high school diploma were boring. They droned on about hunting and fishing. I barely got to the door with the glaze forming over my eyes.

I have no university degree. But I had a damned good career as a "blue collar" technician and ended up in charge of the maintenance, construction and technology deparents of an entire, seven nation zone. I simultaneously became the sales manager for the entire zone.
I earned "well" - putting me firmly in the highest tax bracket.
I have strong views on literature, art and culture, and an abiding interest in other people's cultures, with multi cultural and multi ethnical friends.
But not one degree. Hence, I disagree.

@LiterateHiker You commented: "People with a college degree are more intelligent and interested in literature, art and different cultures. Most guys with just a high school diploma are boring. They drone on about drinking, hunting and fishing."

Wasn't it you who just said "quit generalizing"?

What abouut the folkss who've been to collages, are edumcated and still belieive in gods and fairee tales? I can't figger that out (Exkuse my speling, I usuallee only talk huntin' and fishin'😉

@twill Thatz a gud kwestyon. I have no anser 🙂

That straw man comparison is so poor that evaluating it would be a waste of my time. Surely TN3, you can do better.

Repeat after me. It's just a joke!

@TheoryNumber3 or at least satire! 😉

@Barnie2years Or irony, or hyperbole, or stupidity 🙂

What's funniest are the people who think Adam and Chris are real people. The story continues:

Adam philosophized that he should get a better paying job.
Adam eventually started working for an electrical wire manufacturer, making $150,000 a year, which manufacturered cheap wiring, .
Chris was electrocuted while working with the cheap wiring made by the company Adam works for. Chris' wife and six children are now homeless.
Adam bought their old home, renovated it, and resold it at a $75,000 profit. Adam eventually retired and is now living in luxury.

Welder? Name your price. Carpenter? Can't hire one to save my life.

I'm a decent welder and am forced to work at a convience store. The local carpenter only answers his phone at gun point.

I can weld, both electric and gas. I can plumb. I'm a lousy carpenter, though if pushed I can do it. Trouble is, as I rose up through the company ranks I spent less and less time on the jobs I love, and more and more time in organising and planning the work of others.

@Petter Such is the price of success. Talking to the owner of my local Honda shop, who never had time to ride anymore. Which is what got him interest in running the business in the first place.

I have heard so many professionals in so many fields begging for people with hands on experience. Obviously, you don't want a surgeon who could attach a nose to your elbow, but many industries are leaning away from graduates.

I might want my nose attached to my elbow!

@PondartIncbendog
Sir, you can have your chin attached to your knee. That's completely up to you.

How I agree. There's no point in being able to identify a screwdiver if you don't know how to use it.

Poor choice of major , get a degree that gives you a career that pays

bobwjr Level 10 June 5, 2021

In the construction industry, they're fed up with people who have operated desks. They want people that know what dirt looks like.

At a Seattle suburb very small high tech company in the 80s we had a rule -- every employee must have a technical degree -- even sales and (somewhat coincidentally I admit) clerical staff.
It simplified things a lot especially when sales people were trying to explain the working of our products to Intel, Hewlett Packard, Applied Materials or some university researcher.

Philosophy degrees of course can teach you how to think academically. But they badly lack practical knowledge of which switch turns the lights on.

@RichCC I am one of those Philosophy degree people. I have met many people who have these degrees and make lots of money. I have also met people with degrees and they get fired from Starbucks. Hands-on is the way to go but having the degree placed me higher in the work pool than many others. It is nice to have a fallback position. I now help build high-end homes and all the stuff that goes into them, I make good money and it is hard to find anyone with the skills to work with their hands.

@dalefvictor
It's not a perfect attitude of course. Some technical people can amazingly dense. I remember one University of Chicago PHD professor who twice sent in his system back for repair. It turned out that the system had a 9-pin connector cable and he 'knew' all about those. He decided ours was upside down so he got out a pair of pliers and 'fixed' it. Then he was surprised and disappointed that things wouldn't work.

We had one short-term sales guy who was a former Boeing engineer. A couple of years later I happened to meet a Boeing manager who knew him and he was amazed we would hire the guy. I told him that the guy for us worked sales rather than engineering and the answer was -- 'Good. He's better off'.

As we grew we had to become more flexible and professional in our practices. Ha, ha.🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:601685
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.