Agnostic.com

15 2

Your thoughts on hunting .Why you think it is wrong or why you think it is ok .Also thoughts on the ecological disruption caused by humans which leads to overpopulation of certain species that are then hunted .

richiegtt 8 Dec 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Against it except in parts of the world where it is necessary for survival.I agree that humans created the ecological unbalance that causes overpopulation of certain animals .These idiots then justify the killing of the creatures they caused to multiply in the first place . NO logic no brains.

Even though I don't eat mammals, and could not kill one unless I or another was in danger of being harmed, I don't have a problem with someone hunting when the intent is to eat the meat as long as it is a clean kill and the animal is not left injured and on the run. I abhor trophy hunting and killing animals just for the supposed "sport" of it.

As far as human encroachment causing problems: I do not like the idea at all of animals being killed because humans are moving into their habitat.

I have an issue now with some wild turkeys. They used to hang out in thirty plus acre lot of land behind where I live; but that land is now being developed. This is the first year they have been coming onto my property and some other surrounding properties. I am semi-rural and each house has at least an acre of land.

I don't want to scare them away because I fear someone else in the area will want to harm them (wipe them all out); so, I let them hang out here as much as they want to.

The sad truth, however, is that if there comes to be too many, something will have to be done. I have already contacted the Fish and Wildlife department and will keep them updated if it should reach that point.

the destruction and killing of predatory species does more damage than you can imagine.. there is a video out about introducing wolves to Yellow stone. it is very instructive

In my town there are hiking trail right through town.A big old buck was tame people would pet him feed him.. some one shot him from their car. I want to be open minded to those who need to hunt for food. and in this economy there are lots believe me, so there is that. then there are those who shoot off the face of a deer laugh about it did not track it. So many shoot and will wound something then not track it. Hunting done right is hard work . So I am mixed. for me ? No.Unless I'm staring I could not go into the woods and spread blood. There is enough in our lives and this would give me night mares. as for a sport? fucked up

First off ,hunting is not a sport .In a sport, both sides should know they’re in the game . Unless you are in a part of the world where this is necessary for survival,I think it is wrong ,cruel ,sadistic, evil , and archaic.And don't give me this crap about over population and thinning the herd ,this is just an excuse for a gun loving sociopath to shoot something for enjoyment .And then the other excuse is I eat it .Well how about all the times you made a lousy shot and the poor creature had to suffer for who knows how long because of your incompetence.I want to know how a person can look a deer in the face and then blow its brains out ,and then go home and pet his dog .Read the book (pastime of psychopaths )by Ingrid Newkirk

am 100% with you well said my friend well said

@Sealybobo I am a vegetarian .It says so in my bio .And you are full of shit because humans created an unnatural environment that caused the overpopulation in the first place

Eat what you hunt . A decent athiest statement..if god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't of made them out of meat!!

If there was a good God It would not have created carnivores in the first place

mostly that is bullshit and nothing to do with hunting. most hunters want to get drunk and shoot at things for the joy of killing.

@squiggy_70 I am sure this is true of some hunters. However, I have two sons-in-law who happen to be responsible hunters; and they NEVER hunt drunk. Actually, I have never know any of my family members to hunt drunk. It is about putting some meat on the table. Yes, I think they enjoy the hunt (it is, after all, a primal instinct); but, they also understand that they are taking a life. They do respect that and they eat what they kill.

My younger daughter seldom buys beef; the only red meat they tend to eat is from deer or elk. Would it be better if they bought more beef from the store knowing that those animals likely had miserable lives before they were slaughtered?

This said, my younger brother went to Africa to "sport" hunt and I find that beyond appalling.

For people with limited income who need it, hunting is a legitimate means of securing needed protein. I disapprove of trophy hunting and hunting just for sport. The biggest problems are twofold: (1) hunters who will kill everything they can, as in the case of h passenger pigeon, and (2) human overpopulation consuming more wild game than can replenish itself. In short, we have too damned many people consuming too many resources, and too many of them are rapacious.

I used to do some varmint hunting, skunks in particular. As for the environment and humans; Humans are part of the environment.

i think skunks are cute and have as much a right to live as you do . yeah they stink. they are related to cats. it seems the usual solution to something is to kill it

@squiggy_70 -- Yeah they are cute but I don't want to snuggle with one. I recently bought a Bug-a-Salt gun. It shoots table salt to kill flies. Pretty neat.

Yes, we are a part of the environment; but we are also the only animal that can alter the environment, and other animals, to suit our needs. Given we have that ability, we have to be held responsible for our actions that negatively affect those animals who do not have this ability.

I have no.real problem with sustenance hunters and anglers, provided they hunt and fish responsibly and in accordance with the law. But I have NO respect for individuals who think of bloodlust as "sport" so that they can bring back a "trophy" to hang on their wall, the act of which amounts to gloating because one presided in a heavily stacked and extremely unfair fight. No living thing should have to die for someone's pathetic ego trip. Besides, science- minded people are the ones to acknowledge both evolution and the sentience of at least tbe more complex of the chordate species of non-human beings.

Having said that, the Abrahamic faiths are the most adamant about God giving humanity "dominion" over non-humans, or carte blance to do as we please with other sentient beings. Why ride on their bus?

There are multiple reasons for phenomena like deer overpopulatuion, not the least of which are habitat destruction, disruption of migratory paths due to roads, suburbs, clearcutting and such, as well as the deliberate allowance of ^trophy" hunting of predatory species like bobcats, further exacerbating the overpopulation of deer and other animals.

(Please excuse any typos. Misplaced my reading glasses.)

shooting of bobcats. i want to take their rifles and bop them over the head with them

RESPONSIBLE hunting is fine anywhere in my opinion. I watched a program not long ago that stated that if where not for hunters many species would be on the endangered list. In Africa (and other places) a lot of exotics are losing ground to farming and cattle where the hunter is the only advocate for the animal and provides the only money being used to help increase their numbers. It always comes down to money in some way. Here we have always hunted deer which have been plentiful until recently due to an increasing wild hog population. The deer are native, the hog is not which means the state has took the stance that there should not be a season them. This means you can shoot a hog anytime, anywhere, over any bait,at any age and in any quantity. And hunters are encouraged to do so. Lot more folks eatin pork rather than venison here.

if it were not for hunters. they put things on the endangered list. that is total hogwash.leave things alone and they balance themselves out. man is a parasite on the planet

I think hunting for need and being selective too is fine as long as you don't waste any and it's not just for fun. my biggest problem and natures I might add is too many humans just having a terrible effect on nature. taking everything and making it suit them. taking too much and letting animals go in countries they don't belong. the world is already changed forever and if humans don't change drastically then mother nature will do it for us.

I ate venison last night for supper, provided by a local hunter. Delicious. Had it been meat provided by some trophy hunter, I would have kicked his ass.

It's all about food. Got to eat. Yes on hunting.
There were a few times I had land at the threshold because of the deer running around and not getting off the field because they couldn't jump the fence. I almost hit 2 deer in Arkansas last week. Yes, we need to regulate overpopulation of animal's and those loosing their home to progress.

that is due to the killing of predatory species.. wolves and coyotes. they are nessary

I believe, Hunting should be allowed and managed. It may be the only reason why the EPA can have both sides help preserve the environment.

Food and safety. No other reason to kill a living being.

I think that there are many species that have disrupted populations due to hunting, and its lack thereof.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6028
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.