Agnostic.com

20 5

Is it wrong...

My relationship with my youngest sons dad ended badly. I do not care for him anymore, and while I don't want our son learning to treat people the way his father does, I also think, that as long as things are done in a safe manner(I stopped letting our son visit him alone because I got calls from several people on different occasions telling me I needed to come get the baby because his dad was either too drunk to take care of him, or being violent, breaking things, chasing an underaged boy around the house with a golf club, yelling)his dad has a right to see him, as long as he wants to see his dad. I have tried to work it out so that they can go see each other while being supervised by someone other than me. I honestly don't want anything to do with him anymore, but nobody we know is willing to let him in their home anymore, not even his family. so I am stuck for now, being the one to supervise. my question is, I am having a hard time controlling my bad thoughts every time I see him. I don't act on them. I am polite, but mostly try to leave them alone while they visit. but I swear I just can't get over thinking up all the terrible things that could happen to him, and how I would react when I found out. I kinda feel like a jerk...so is thinking bad things bad? is it as bad as doing bad things? is it normal? is there maybe some sort of suggestion for how to stop? I don't know how to control what pops into my head!

after reading several comments, including my own, I feel I may have not been quite as clear as I should have been. I do agree that the things this man did were not acceptable things to do around children. as soon as things got violent, we left. these things he did, while still not ok, where in the past. while he was like that, I did not let him come around our son. but, outside of the cheating (which was between me and him, not him and our son) he has since been a better person. I don't know what he does when hes not around me, maybe he is still drinking like a fish, but hes not doing it anymore around our son. I feel that he is making an effort to be a better father, and as long as the drunken violence is not there, im willing to give him that chance, no matter how much I hate him. the way I see it, if we had gone to court, they more than likely would have made him show that he could be a safe person to be around, and then allowed him to visit with supervision. I have my reasons for not wanting to get involved with the courts if I can help it, but I am trying to give him the same chance they would. I do not want to worry anybody over the safety of either myself or my child, as I feel that the safety issue has been handled. although I do appreciate the concern.

Byrd 7 Apr 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

i think that in your shoes I would probably be feeling the same & possibly having those thoughts actually helps you not act on them. It is always sad when this sort of thing happens i do feel sorry for your predicament and wonder if there are any non legal places that help with this kind of parenting dilemma. Some childrens advocacy network?

you know i honestly never thought of that. thank you. i will look into it. we do have a lot of churches around here, and some of them arent to pushy about you having to believe what they do to get help. one of them may know what to do.

Any man can make a child it takes a real man to be a father.

btw its perfectly normal to imagine bad things...just don't ever act on them, that's when you have problems. What goes on inside your head, STAYS inside your head!

I would suggest you take someone with you and pick neutral places, the arena, museum, the park etc. This way there is someone to help you keep your mind from wandering. Bring a deck of cards or something that you and a friend can do together and still supervise. I don't know if this would help or not but it may be worth a try.

As for your thoughts (right or wrong). It’s normal to react to being hurt and betrayed. You have some unfinished emotional business that you need to deal with. Try to find a way to do so that is effective for you. You could write down every conceivable nasty idea then read it out loud then destroy it or you can use a punching bag with his picture on it or you could volunteer to help demo a kitchen. You are aware of your thoughts which means you can have control of them. Find some way to purge that anger or you’ll always be tethered to him in an unhealthy way. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Apr 18, 2018

Everyone has a right to see their kids, provided there is no danger to the kids.
There has to be that safety net.

Reacting to things in your mind is of course normal. I wouldn't let my son there with the father being such a twat because its dangerous. he would have to get his shit together and you shouldn't be the one supervising either as you're both too close and your rightly bias at the moment. if he is that bad I would stop the visits because he's obviously dangerous until he gets his shit together.

You need to document all of his behavior and get a lawyer. Neither of you are safe with a man that's upredictable. Especially when there is alchohol involved, as you mentioned in the thread and previous violence. If you think you can protect him by being there, you're wrong. When I left my ex, also an abusive alcoholic, I was able to get an order to allow him only supervised visitation with my daughter. He was also not allowed to drink alcohol within 24 hours of seeing her or forfeit his right to see her. She got over missing her dad when she understood how dangerous he was.

i understand that i alone MAY not be able to fight him off one day by myself, that is why i generally do it in a place where there are a lot of people, if i even think hes been drinking before a visit ive already told him, i will stop them right then, i agree that what i have described is not ok behavior around kids. these are all things that happened some time ago tho, and he hasnt been a problem since i ran away. he hasnt been aggressive, angry, or drunk around us. i have made it clear that if i even see a hint of violence, alcohol, drugs, or any other nonsense he will no longer be welcome. when hes not drunk, hes not a bad dad. i don't want to end up being one of those mothers who keeps a father and child apart if hes not acting like that anymore. so for now this works for us

Your intuition is telling you to keep your child away from this dangerous man.

I am very concerned that you would take measures to ensure continued contact between your child and anyone who has exhibited problematic drinking and violent behaviors--especially since your gut is telling you it's a bad idea. The fact that you are trying to stuff and/or question those feelings is troubling.

Facilitating a relationship between blood relatives--even a child and parent--is not more important than protecting children from harm. Harm is inevitable when someone is drinking to excess, being violent, and alienating everyone. Even if he never beats or screams at his kid, the fallout from his actions will cause some manner of harm to the child: he will go to jail, people will speak ill of him, his kid will wonder why his daddy can't or doesn't do this or that--because daddy got drunk, broke that thing, was banned from that place, whatever.

The better move is to eliminate or change the nature of the contact (like to letters or Skype only) until and unless he gets his act together--and demonstrates real, measurable progress, in a realistic timeframe.

You want to see your kid? Quit drinking. Go to AA. Take anger management classes. Get counseling. Whatever. Don't want to do stuff like that? Then I guess you don't want to see your kid badly enough.

i have to go put the munchkin to sleep soon, but may i speak with you privately once im done?

@Byrd Certainly. PM sent.

You're a mother, and are concerned about your child. There's nothing abnormal about wanting to protect your kids.

As far as controlling your thoughts that's probably not possible, but you seem to have an admirable amount of control over your words and actions. Focus on that, and remember your kids need you to stay out of prison.

JimG Level 8 Apr 17, 2018

A lot of unanswered variables. Were you married? Is the child old enough to make their own decision on whether to see him or not? Thinking of worse case scenarios, isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's your job as a parent. If even his family won't supervise visits, that is a huge red flag.If you were married and divorced, then court ordered supervisionis an option.It is very normal to have concerns.You shouldn't stop if there is evidence or tendancies of violence or harm.I would seek some legal advice.

Are you Seperated? Divorced? Do you have a Parenting Plan? I would seek legal counsel and get a "Guardian Ad Litem" assigned to your case. Also, Therapy for emotional Support. I have some resources if you are interested, just message me.

i have to put the munchkin to bed and then i shall contact you.

Sounds like you may well have reasons for concern. If so, you have no reason to feel any quilt. It may make you sad that this is the case, but that is natural. Simply try to do the right thing for your son.

You are concerned for your adopted son and that means you love. Those who love can not be bad. They can have conflicting thoughts, or emotions, that seemingly mock our desire to love. Yours are based on a greater love for those who are helpless. I admire you for even asking.
However, a child’s relationship to either real parent must be respected. Life is hard and there are genetic questions at play. You are charged with keeping that child safe but the line is one you must walk. So long as you act from love you will be right in walking that line. The rest is up to his father’s conscience. He has a few responsibilities, also.
Best of luck.

i appreciate your insight, but i think i may have said something misleading...the son/baby i am speaking of is both of our biological son. im sorry if i said something confusing or something, lol

I didn’t catch that but it changes nothing of what I said. I would suggest you try very hard to refrain from voicing criticism of the boys father as it will only bring scorn upon you (whether true or not). Humans have to draw our own conclusions about such things.

@rainmanjr thats pretty much how ive been handling it. i talk about how i feel with other people, but i don't do it in front of our son. i don't want to lie to him, and i know things like, why doesnt dad come see me very much, or why doesnt dad live with us, or a number of other questions will probably come up one day. i want to try to be careful not to give a terribly biased answer, while also not sugar coating things. i had a friend whos mom told her that her dad had died in some war, when she later found out he had just walked away one day, it messed her up. she said it wasnt so much that he had left, that felt so bad to find out, but the fact that she had worshiped this man for decades, she said she felt dirty when she found out. ive also seen kids whos parents do nothing but talk crap about each other and that does its own damage. but i think thats something our son needs to decide for himself when hes ready to figure out how he feels. i don't want him to base his opinion of his dad on my opinion of him.

His dishonorable actions negated his link to the child. A monster begets monsters. Keep him away.

There is no such thing as a bad thought. It is not possible for people to control all of their thoughts all of the time. You do not have to feel guilty for any thought you have ever.
The only bad thing about the thoughts you have is how they effect you internally. It’s not healthy to be in situations where you are that angry on a regular basis. All kinds of stress related conditions lie down that path.
On another note, his status as biological parent does not automatically qualify him for any kind of visitation/partial custody. That is contingent on him being a minimally decent caretaker. I don’t presume to tell you what to do, but if he can’t handle his child unsupervised, it is not on you to secure that supervision, and definitely not on you to provide it yourself. If no adult you know wants to be around him, it might not be the best place for your child anyway.

yeah doesnt sound like a good place for the kid and your thought sound like a normal reaction. I worry about how those thoughts poison you and your wellbeign

awe your a sweetheart, thank you for your concern. as far as it effecting my health, that was one of my concerns, and i have been addressing it as well as i can for now. we all live in the same apartments, hes now living between the ex best friend and another friend of mine he was sleeping with. it got pretty bad for a while, they told me they planned on calling CPS and told me many times to kill myself. one of them even asked my 2 and a half year old son why i hadnt slit my wrists yet while we were in the store. i pretty much have been avoiding going outside here, while still trying to get out and go other places where i can get some fresh air. ive been talking with friends, my counselor, and you lovely folks, in an attempt to stay out of my head. its not much but for now, its good enough. i plan on getting all my surgeries i need done, getting a job once im healed up, saving some cash and moving away. but that will take time, so for now, im just trying to keep my head above water, so to speak.

Thinking and feeling are neither good nor bad - they just are. It is normal and it's okay

As Shakespeare said, "A thing is neither good nor bad, but thinking makes it so."

@Condor5 One of my favorite quotes!

All I can think of is to treat it kind of like meditation. Thoughts will come and go. If you don't like what pops into your head, acknowledge it and just try to let it go. I'm sure it's not so simple but maybe it's a start.

It would be really great if you could stop beating yourself up for having reasonable fears and concerns. You've been given AMPLE reason to feel the way you do.
It's not unreasonable to have bad feelings toward someone who has shown you the very worst of themselves. It's also not unreasonable to want to protect your child from such a negative influence.
Especially when there have been occasions where he was incapable of properly caring for your child.
Unless it's been mandated by a court, you are not obligated to continue to subject your child to his influence. Your son might be far better off having less contact with your ex.
It's not wrong to put your child first. Sometimes, that means removing a bad or dangerous influence, even if that influence is the child's father.

You can always explain your motivations to your son when he's older. Better to have to ask for his forgiveness when he's grown, than to perpetually put him in a position to be negatively impacted by someone with serious issues.
It sure doesn't sound like this guy is much of a father.

Sounds like a supervised visitor is needed, protect the kid.

It sounds to me like you're doing a wonderful job. Co-parenting can be difficult, more so when you're in a situation like this.

Mea Level 7 Apr 17, 2018

Did you report the abuse, and get statements from the neighbors? You should be able to get a court order to stop the visitation if a child's life is being put at risk.

i don't want to stop them from seeing each other. i just would like to make sure its in a safe environment, and i would prefer not to have to be there. i don't like thinking such violent thoughts, weather it is deserved or not. the boy he chased and the people whos things got broken didnt call the police i don't think. or if they did, they waited till the baby and i had gone. he has only ever been physically violent with me once. he hit me in the head and tried to burn me with a torch. i grabbed the munchkin and the doggo and ran. i did not call the police because my pupper is a bully. we had been living outside city limits. they are not illegal there. as soon as we crossed into city limits, they were illegal. we could have gotten in a lot of trouble, i had been told before by one of the officers that if they ever saw her in city limits, they would shoot her on sight. the only place i had to run to was my mothers across town and just inside city limits. i didnt want to loose my girl. the only time he ever got like that was when he was drinking, so when he told me he hadnt been drinking anymore, i gave him another chance...i know, stupidity personified. eventually i found out he had been sleeping with several of my friends, one of which was supposed to be my best friend of 15 years. im not sure why, but around when i found all this out, instead of having a nervous breakdown, i seemed to finally see more clearly. i realized that he and i wanted different things, i was ready to settle down and focus on my family and bettering myself. he wanted whatever it was he wanted, but i knew it wasnt that. so i was done. now we are trying to be civil...im just trying to figure out if its ok to think bad things if you don't actually do them. or find a way to stop thinking them all together.

@Byrd It's unbelievable to me that you accept such treatment of you and/or your young son. Stop being an enabler and report the crimes. If your son is hurt or killed, you will be partly at fault.

@birdingnut thats kind of what the whole supervised visit thing is for...like i said, as long as i don't have him around when hes drunk, hes never been a problem, therefor i don't let him come around drunk. and i would never put part of my family at risk of being shot by calling the police in a situation that i easily handled by walking away. he has never been violent towards our son, some of the things he has done(breaking glass for example) did put my son at risk, but he has never hurt our son, intentionally or otherwise. as soon as i was informed of the situation, i removed him and started up supervised visits. i have done what i felt was appropriate for the situation. i have taken steps to ensure his safety while still allowing him time with his father. i know full well that it is my responsibility to keep him safe, and that is exactly what i am doing.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:60370
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.