Agnostic.com

12 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don’t believe we should have the death penalty for first time offenders but hard core criminals with long rap sheets should be put to death.

I can be called Atheist ( not that I care)... I believe in Death Penalty to all that Deserve it... Rich and Poor, not just for the Poor.

If we must have a death penalty, I think it shoudl be more applicable to the rich, because to have such greater advantages in life and still committing capital crimes is much less excusable.

The problem is that "to all that deserve it" is a criteria we can never be certain of. Is it worth killing even one who doesn't deserve it to get the ones you think do?

Life in prison without parole is just a bloodless way of executing someone. You are still permanently removing someone from society so why be dainty about it?

Because with some people, after being convicted and put to death, were proved innocent after the fact. I think life in prison without parole is better because if someone is proved to be wrongfully convicted they will still be alive. We need a little wiggle room because out system of justice isn't perfect.

I personally don't believe in life without parole either. A large percentage of people who commit crimes are redeemable, and locking them up and throwing away the key is just a waste. Our prisons in the US are simply human warehouses. That needs to change.

@snytiger6 Then Fix the System... not remove the Penalty.

@GipsyOfNewSpain Life without parole, instead of the death penalty, is a step towards fixing errors in the system.

Simply put, you can't undo the death penalty.
You can let someone out of prison, exonerate them publicly, and compensate them handsomely.

@GipsyOfNewSpain Impossible. The system isn't imperfect for reasons we can control, it's imperfect because of the nature of reality. Human vision and perception isn't perfect. Memory isn't perfect. Surveillance equipment isn't perfect. Fingerprint analysis isn't perfect. Hell DNA isn't even perfect. To think you can ever be sure takes a tremendous amount of arrogance.

I'm fine being in the minority.

Murder? Dead
Rapist? Dead
Pedo? Dead
Terrorist? Dead.

redhog Level 7 June 18, 2021

I'd say more than one murder, dead.

Rapist or pedophile, castration.

Terrorist, Dead if htey killed anyone, but otherwise prison and re-education.

@snytiger6 you can say that. Buy I won't. I believe what I believe.

@snytiger6 why/where did you get the impression castration cures? Unless chemical castration, which, if they get paroled, would depend on them administering the chemicals......

China and the US share their addiction to punishment, especially capital punishment.

Nope, I want them out of the gene pool Yesterday!

What if it was a relative you knew was innocent?

@JeffMurray unlike in fiction, those on Death Row have pretty much 2-feet-thick files documenting their checkered past.
Get them out of the gene pool! Do you know Ted Bundy has a son conceived After his conviictions? Becuz we need those genes to perservere.....

@AnneWimsey That's not what I asked. Do you submit that we have wrongly convicted people and sent them to death row?

If you do, how would you feel if one of those people was a relative you loved and knew for sure was innocent (e.g. you were with them at the time of the crime, but the jury discounted your testimony as biased)?

Of course, because that's what it means to be "pro-Life".

Not surprising in any way…….yet they cry about abortion. But liberals aren’t too much better, all for abortion rights, but oppose the death penalty

One single person, who may or may not have chosen the gig, is not responsible for the prisoner at great personal sacrifice. That's the difference for me.

If the crime brought you to the death penalty using real evidence my position is that once you are executed you will never commit that crime again.

That's quite a qualifier you snuck in there. How exactly do you know you have good/real evidence? All the people who convicted the innocent in the past thought they had good/real evidence...

@JeffMurray And a great many of them were only trying to solve a case or further their careers also.

@DenoPenno What does that have to do with the price of eggs though? Does it make it better if we kill someone who was innocent if the prosecutor got to make a name for himself?

I am in favor of it especially for monsters like Rodney Reed. Go ahead and get it over with. Instead of spending our tax dollars allowing for some degenerate to languish behind bars, go ahead and kill them.

If your argument is based on saving tax dollars you're on the wrong side of this debate...

@JeffMurray nope. The right side. If someone is beyond redemption and presents a danger to society at large, why waste tax dollars as they languish behind bars

@Heavykevy1985 The point is that it costs more tax dollars to kill someone than it does to leave them in prison. If that's your motivation, your knowledge deficit has caused you to argue the wrong side.

"To execute or not: A question of cost?" [nbcnews.com]

@JeffMurray I highly doubt it. Killing someone is cheaper than housing them including food, healthcare, bed, and other amenities.

@Heavykevy1985 I mean, I know it seems like that would be true, but it isn't. And there's plenty of data to back that up. Everywhere. Seriously. You don't have to trust the links I'm posting (did you even bother to look at it or search for yourself) do a Google search and it'll take you a min or two to see there's nothing that supports your claim. You would like to start being correct about what you think, no?

Literally every single article that comes when when you Google "is it more expensive to put people..." shows that the death penalty is exorbitantly more expensive than life in prison. Here's a couple from the first page of results. PLEASE look for yourself so you can stop making such a baseless and completely false claim.

"Which Is Cheaper, Execution or Life in Prison Without Parole? - HG.org" [hg.org]

"Fact check: Is the death penalty more expensive than life in prison? - Ballotpedia" [ballotpedia.org]

@JeffMurray I have. Why is it sound to keep a person that presents a danger to himself or others in need of being lodged, fed, given medicine, etc at taxpayer expense? I have read them and I am not convinced at all. Killing someone incapable of rehabilitation sounds good to me.

@Heavykevy1985 You're not convinced of what? Math? The ability of people to look at two numbers and recognize which one is larger? How can you read a hundred sources saying they did studies and they all concluded that going through all the steps needed to kill an inmate is more expensive than keeping them in prison and find ZERO sources that did studies that found the opposite and still "not believe it"? That's like thinking Trump won the election... Wait, do you think Trump won the election?

That because Christians are still barbaric little shits.

Well, duh! Xtians are a death cult, of course they chose death.

Except, of course, if it frees women from sexual slavery by access to abortion... then they choose the fetus life over women. Can't have those sluts running around enjoying sex without the enslavement of marriage. Xtian men would never get laid.

Leelu Level 7 June 17, 2021
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:603960
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.