Agnostic.com

12 16

LINK Christian Baker Who Wouldn’t Make Birthday Cake for Trans Woman Loses Court Case | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

He was won a case for refusing to sell a cake for a gay wedding, but in his testimony for the gay wedding cake he said he would have sold a cake if it were for a birthday or graduation. So, a trans woman went in asking for a birthday cake and he refused because she was trans. This kind of hoisterd him on his own pitard, as his earlier testimony was along the lines that he wasn't bigoted bu the refused due to his religious convictions, but whe faced with a new situation he showed he was just bigoted all along... and so he lost.

snytiger6 9 June 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Give the Transformer his CAKE!!!!

It seems to me that society has much graver concerns to deal with than who will bake a cake for whom. I believe any business owner has the right to decide who they want to do business with or not. If someone feels slighted for not receiving the product or service they sought, they can voice their opinion on Yelp!, or the social media outlet of their choosing.

BDair Level 8 June 21, 2021

The lawsuit isn't really about a cake, so much as ti is bout discrimination against a minority class. If such lawsuits are to be avoided, then businesses need to treat all customers with equal respect. BTW, that is also a good business practice.

While I would agree that logic applies to any public agengy, I beleive a private business owner should be free to serve or not serve any customer as they see fit. The discriminated class is free to shun their business and shop elsewhere. The discriminated against party is free to air their discontent in the court of public opinion, and perhaps the proprietor's business may suffer for it.

Maybe the trans person should have kept their mouth shut about being trans.

Why should he/she have done so?

@Triphid Did they need to say they were trans when ordering the cake?

@xenoview Well, logically speaking the baker would need to have some idea as what the cake was intended to be used in relation to would he/she not?
I mean, go in ask for a cake to baked for a special occasion, give no clue/hint or what-ever as to WHAT it is required for and YOU may get a Wedding cake for Funeral, a Birthday for a Wedding, etc, etc.
You do NOT go into a Corner Deli and simply ask for a few slices of sandwich meat do you, YOU actually tell the Store owner/Counter Attendant WHAT meat slices you require and how many don't you?
But , having said that, there ARE those who seem to have the idea that Shop-keepers ARE renowned Mind-readers.

Shouldn't be his choice what or who he serves? It is his Bakery, right? Isn't that what freedom is?

The days of self-righteous white dudes deciding who gets to be counted are DONE.

Legally when one opens up a business to SERVE the Public it becomes a place of Public Business even though the Proprietor/Owner may hold either a Lease or the Title deeds, it IS still a Business that CLAIMS it will serve the Public AND are NOT Trans-people/L.G.B.T.Q.i. people also member s of the PUBLIC or has rampant Bigotry determined that they are a SUB-Species or something even less?

@ReadyforaChange ha but you still use their dollars right
baker dude isn’t trying to ex anyone anyway, she was obv looking for a fight

@Triphid You ever seen a sign saying.... No Shirt, No Service? Owner's Choice?

@GipsyOfNewSpain Funny enough, yes I have but that applies to the attire as worn by customers/patrons entering or availing themselves of the service/s offered in a place.
As to a potential customer enquiring as to the baking of a specific item from a Bakery then , logically, as it IS a Bakery then its role is to Provide and sell what the customer requests NOT to push their agenda re-religious beliefs, etc.
We have in our town, a Sufi Bakery run by members of the Sufi belief system of Islam, yes they make and sell what is normally consumed in the Sufi culture, they also make and sell other products that do NOT come from the Sufi culture, Sourdough Bread, Danish, French Breadsticks, etc, etc, for example, BUT they DO NOT press upon their customers their beliefs, etc, quite the opposite in fact.
Perhaps that may well be because Australians, for the most part, are far more open-minded than others, Americans for example.

@bbyrd009 What the fuck did you just say? Learn how to write proper English, you're in Murica.

@Triphid When you are a country formed by expulsed felons of the brittish kingdom... yeah, you are expected to be more Open Minded among other sins.

@GipsyOfNewSpain The ancestors of many Australians were once sent here in shackle and chains and we are proud of them BECAUSE they worked as little more than slave-labour to the English Gentry but in doing so OPENED this wide Brown Country and made it a home for everyone, even a temporary one for your beloved General McArthur when he was on the un from Japanese Forces who chased his arse out of the Philippine Islands in W.W.II or has that slipped your memory perchance?

Is it just me or do people talk too much? I know I talk too much but if you keep your gender to yourself when ordering a cake everything should be OK.

Aw, what a shame ( NOT), it seems that the mix in the cake dough he was cooking up FAILED to rise....LOL.
I hope this IS going to cost him heaps and heaps of bread.

gotta wonder what happened to "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone"
i mean its easy to call someone who believes differently than you a bigot, eh

I remember those signs. If you read up on it you'd realize that those signs went up after lunch counters were desegregated, and pretty much meant they wouldn't serve clack people. It was discrimination in the guise of freedom.... and still is.

@snytiger6 so we would prefer to allow Unca Sam to dictate to us who we must serve, sny? I gotta say i don’t like the precedent that sets, at the very least. Would you wanna get served by someone who didn’t really wanna serve you? I wouldn’t. Seems to me that just outing them, or even (free) market forces, would address any problems better?

I tell you that our world masters mix (destroy) our cultures on purpose, all so that they might introduce their own version of “diversity,” which purports to engender solidarity but actually guarantees perpetual friction.

I mean could you imagine a lunch counter with a sign that said “no blacks allowed” in this day and age? Terrible analogy anyway imo, but i would turn around and go somewhere else myself

@snytiger6 there’s like 50 ways imo that that could have resolved better; the baker could have accepted the commission and just subbed it out, or any number of options. I guarantee you that the artisans who serve the rich still reserve the right to refuse service, only they maybe don’t call it that anymore

My sister has a phone company, and they won’t do phones for lawyers; she hasn’t been sued yet?

@bbyrd009 I think it is sad that laws have to be put in place to try to prevent discrimination.

What? Uou really have a problem with diversity? It is diversity and the blending of various cultures and ideas which is responsible for "American ingenuity". Different ways of looking at problems make for new and better solutions. It is diversity which has made America great. It is not surprising that racism and xenophobia rose as America has gone into decline.

@snytiger6 diversity i have no probs with, sny; but what would a Native American or a Tulsa black have to say about our “diversity?” So a point might be “who gets to define this diversity?”

@bbyrd009 I am part Native American myself.

@snytiger6 hey, im ok with letting “discriminating” Catholics and Jews set the policies if you are sny, but we’re talking cake here now? It’s a sideshow imo
rich ppl discriminate their ass off lol

we aren’t talking about serving someone the same sandwich at the same counter anymore, see, so where does that end? We got the Chief Oppressors setting our policies now, that trust me they won’t have to pay any attention to, and they are just thrilled with queers oppressing bakers now, as long as it distracts from them robbing our posterity blind. Bc “absolutely not a set-up” from the article of course means “obviously a set-up.” She didn’t want a cake, she wanted to litigate

@snytiger6 So, say you’re a Native American baker then, and i demand that you make me a cake depicting your mom going down on me

@bbyrd009 I don't see how refusing to sell you such a cake be discriminatory against a class of people. Unless you want to claim assholes are as a class beign discriminated against. I doubt the courts would agree.

The case isn't really about a cake. It's about discrimination against a minority group (class of people). Such lawsuits can be avoided simply by treating everybody equally.

@snytiger6 you’d think, huh? Unfortunately there are lots of litigious ppl out there, so i dunno

They'll get no purchase on appeal on this one.

Leelu Level 7 June 18, 2021

Ah bigots and circular logic. Gets them every time

redhog Level 7 June 18, 2021

This was a Denver District Court decision . . . likely to be appealed. 😛

Awww poor scumbag!!

Love it! He proved himself a bigot with his words and actions. To hell with him and his shitty cakes.

dkp93 Level 8 June 18, 2021
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:604201
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.