Agnostic.com

31 39

Is being a Trump supporter a deal breaker for you?

OK Cupid dating site reported 74% of women members say being a Trump supporter is a deal breaker.

On a dating site, a man messaged me:

Hello. So, given the current political climate; I thought it might be a good idea to touch base on this before I called. I'm a little right of center and voted for Trump. I see so many profiles that denounce this and wanted to be up front. I rarely voice my opinions and respect what your beliefs. It's kind of like religion to me. I lean toward atheism myself.
I hope it's not a deal breaker, but I understand if it is. Well, I guess I'll know soon enough.
For the record; I think you are adorable and super cute! Cheers
πŸ˜‰

"Your voting for Trump is a deal breaker for me," I replied. Sent him these photos. His reply:

Yes, sorry to hear that. Glad I checked. Wow.. What are you going to do when he's back in office in a few months?

I replied:

"A vote for Trump is an affirmation of racism, sexism, and bigotry. Even if you personally swear up and down you are not racist, sexist or bigoted, you can’t support putting someone that hateful in national office. Trump lost the 2020 election in the most secure presidential election in history. Idiots who believe Trump will be back in office in August are delusional."

Then I added to my profile: Lifelong Democrat. Trumpers, get lost!

brushes off hands

LiterateHiker 9 June 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments (26 - 31)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You'd better believe it is for me. I don't have time for that shit.

Love the pictures.

@WayneDalton

Thank you. It was fun thinking up and making the signs.

Hi Wayne. How are you doing.

It's an absolute deal breaker to me. If someone supports Donald Trump, or thinks he isn't a despicable person, then they clearly don't care about the well-being and safety of half of the people I hold dear. A character flaw of that magnitude simply could never be minimized or overlooked.

Deb57 Level 8 June 23, 2021

Life is a learning experience. If a person really likes you in spite of your beliefs, then it might not be as perverse a challenge to entertain the idea. If we stop challenging ourselves in life and in seek the mundane, then we risk diluting our thought process.

I have friends who are Trump supporters, but they have qualities beyond just the one field. Sometimes the best way to understand an enemy is to be their friend. It’s easy to block and discount them as a surface nuisance, but to many of us, they’re just as part of society as we are. Yes recent years have made the divisiveness worse, but is life made any easier to pretend a portion of the population just didn’t exist? This isn’t Black Mirror.

It’s easy to think of someone you don’t agree with as a hopeless cause, but a forward thinker turns β€œfailures into opportunities.” They’re a lot more than just the man they voted for. I can be a bigger man but not be pretentious about it. Who knows? You might change a mind in the process or things could open up in a way you never imagined.

@Vipr82

The only person I can control and change is myself. I learned that in my 20s. It is self-defeating to try to change another person.

I only date Democrat men who share my beliefs and values. Not Republicans.

@LiterateHiker To each his/her own. People have shown the capacity for change. Otherwise, things like civil rights wouldn’t have been a thing. Yesterday’s segregationist Democrats have largely changed to be today’s Republicans. The road is still a long way to go.

@Vipyr82

Of course people can grow and change. You are missing my point.

The only person I can control and change is myself.

"You can whip me into shape," overweight men say. "Only you can motivate yourself to exercise regularly and eat right," I reply. "You would resent me if I nagged. Hire a trainer."

Depends on the person and how fanatical they are.

Oh yeah, well done. 😘

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:604298
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.