Agnostic.com

19 22

I’m about 4 years into deconversion from Christianity.

It’s kinda hard to believe that I put my complete faith in an uneducated preacher who scared the shit out of me by making me believe if I didn’t make an immediate decision that I would probrably have an accident on way home and die and go to hell. I was just an ignorant/naive teenager. If there was a god who could create everything why would he resort to emotional blackmail to convert people to believe in him

abyers1970 7 June 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hi, I just now saw your post and want to commend you for it and your effort to live a more sane life in an ever increasing insane world, especially where it comes to religion. I had a little trouble understanding the double negative deconversion as you meant to use it. It doesn't matter, but at first it looked inaccurate to me but as long as we all know what you mean and support you. You're completely right about the blackmail. I grew up Catholic and from childhood I also saw it that way and never bought into that or any religion. It's as sinister as anything they try to scare you with about not believing in god and it''s weird how they don't see it and question their own motives, but they don't see so much about almost everything... hang in there. You have lots of friends here too.

ha well those were ppl, not Yah, right.
The Bible makes pretty clear that Yah does not care whether one “believes” in Him or not; the only personal judgement is for works

It is something how illogical atheist Richard Dawkins "nailed " Jesus character. The "son of meme". Or to say a meme virus organism that evolved into Jesus character. The mind virus organism has its cognition capability to blackmail, brain wash and what ever else to use peoples brains as a spawning ground to reproduce more mind virus organisms in people's brains. The mind virus organism has such cognition capability that it can very well out smart some people or place them in fear of their life.

Word Level 8 June 25, 2021

Long before Dawkins the Jesuits said "Give me the child to the age of seven and I will give you the man"
It is a biological fact that it is in the interest of the young of any species to obey their parents or substitute parents in the case of religious leaders . They use this fact to instill their dangerous ideas in the minds of children and thus perpetuate the ideas.

@Moravian Jesuit? Biblically been around for a while.

Proverbs 22:6
King James Version
6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

Matthew 19:14
King James Version
14 But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus character reference to himself for being the embodiment of the laws of the nation of Israel 2000 years ago.

@Moravian Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them. Proverbs 13:24

And when they are really stubborn:

The penalty of death as a punishment for a delinquent son is included in the book of Deuteronomy chapter twenty-one verses 18 through 21 of the Bible; this part of the Deuteronomic Code provides for stoning a stubborn and rebellious son. [en.m.wikipedia.org]

Doesn’t matter how long it took you to change…….what always matters is the end result. When your told something over and over again when your growing up, roughly ages 5 to 12, 13, it eventually becomes a part of you, and like with quitting smoking, drinking or other drugs it takes enormous willpower to change it. I will always point out it took me 9 years after quitting going to Sunday mass brainwashing to declare myself a full Atheist, and that was after I had quit smoking 3 packs of cigs a day as well as being a heavy drinker and other drugs along the way.

People that haven’t gone through the brainwashing or that do not live in the Bible Belt don’t understand it. I would have been crucified and mocked if I were to say I was an atheist when I was a teenager where I lived. My family would have disowned me and I would have been looked at as someone to avoid

The more you open your eyes, the more you’ll see….

The moment you stop believing in god, jesus, hell and sin, you will have freedom in your life.

how do u know he was uneducated and why were u so quick to assume that if u didnt make the snap decision, then u would have an accident on the way home and die?

jeesh!

im curious about how old u were at this time cuz that stuff seems immature to me

Obviously you’ve never been to a baptist church. That’s one of the manipulation tactics they use. All of them tell a story about someone who went to church left church laughing and then died on the way home from church. As an adult, It’s easy to see the manipulation but as a boy who was taught to believe whatever the preacher said or you are going to hell it was different. Yes looking back I was naive and stupid but I didn’t know any different way. You’re lucky if you didn’t grow up that way.

Congrats and welcome here.

The christian god is kind of a jerk

Well he only killed an estimated 25 million people in the Bible so he’s not so bad

Insecurity. Pure and simple. This is why we Jews are so fucked up.

The notion of the Christian God has been exploited for millenia by megalomaniacs, psychopaths and other misfits for the subjugation of the populace.

My understanding is that there is no Hell in the Jewish mythology, it is merely a Christian invention.

It takes only a moment of study of comparative religion to see the absurdity of all religious claims.

Uneducated preachers exploit their unjustified positions of authority to ram their lies down the throats of those who still learning about the world. Such people should be put into an asylum for the mentally ill until they learn the errors of their ways and make amends.

Welcome

bobwjr Level 10 June 24, 2021

I hope you are enjoying your new emotional freedom! Unfortunately, xtians are all about emotional blackmail, wicked (and unreasonable) threats, cultural ego and peer pressure, which affected many of us in our youth. It's the ones who buy-in as adults that worry me!

SAME! It's unsettling when adult friends and families get bitten by that bug

You have a lot to work out, and you joined the right group that can help you.

Your question shows your maturity. Somewhere along the way, you learned to reason. Bravo.

why would a god characterized as the omnistuff consider an individual worthy because of thier faith in it? what kind of selfishness is that? very trumpian.

Why indeed! Congratulations on your de-conversion process, something that took me much longer to begin.

Deconversion? How about just coming to the realization?

barjoe Level 9 June 24, 2021

I didn’t know how to describe it. Realization sounds better

@abyers1970 Just be true to yourself. If these people aren't your immediate family, fuck em. Just scrape them off!

@abyers1970 I like Deconversion better. Makes it clear that it was mind control (of the defenseless, at that). I hope you find what you're looking for (which is probably just peace). I'm unsure that believing in nothing is the best way to go but the dogmatic religions are abusive. We all know how that carries over generations until one becomes woke enough to truly stop they cycle. I think it may be an expression of the Eastern concept of Suffering. Dogmatic believers are responding to this basic condition of existence by feeling guilty for it? Like the individual is the cause of suffering so must be punished for it. Freedom from self punishment feels really good, my friend.

@rainmanjr deconversion is the easy part. de-doctrination is a tougher, longer row to hoe. I'm guessing that's what's happening.

@hankster Another name for it might be "de-programming." After decades of continuous religious indoctrination, the erasure / removal of all that bad code can be a grueling experience!

@p-nullifidian sure. re-programming? overwriting? i suppose i am thinking not of the direction of change but the journey of it.

"...why would 'he' resort to emotional blackmail....." Because man created god. That is why.

Today's winner.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:605256
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.