Agnostic.com

25 1

How do you try to have a positive impact on the world?

MikeMike 5 Apr 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

be kind towards everyone, especially the grumpies
Small acts and lots of smiles
Reducing my footprint
promote curiosity
Support grassroots orgs

Yes! "Kill" the grouchos with kindness! lol

Reduce, reuse, recycle ♻️ Smiling is pretty contagious too.

I am a political advcate and social justice warrior.

I am not so much an SJW but I am a realist and it just so happens that the truth leans left so I get called a social justice warrior for sticking up for others. To quote myself, "A man should not be standing if it is on the backs of others"

I make the world a slightly better place every day if I can. I support adults with special needs, I try to support my friends. I try to make people smile and feel good.

I do the same, well try to, I don't work with people with special needs, but I am very active in fighting for LGBT rights and offer support for my gay, lesbian, and trans friends as support from the straight white guy community is severely lacking. .

By staying away from people. That's my gift. 😉

Lols, I couldn't do that, I'd go stir crazy after 2 days!

I try to be kind, and raise my children to do the same. I help where I can, and do not needlessly make things difficult for other people. I will stand and fight when needed, but I choose those battles wisely.

And I smile when I see new people, to make them feel welcome.

Raising children into great adults is the best positive impact anyone could ever have on the world, keep up the great work!

By trying to learn as much as I can about it’s nature.

skado Level 9 Apr 18, 2018

The pursuit of knowledge and education is always a benefit to all of mankind!

By keeping myself quiet and out of sight as much as possible.

Well if looking in from the outside is what you like to do then by all means do it but think about all of the situations and people of which would be different for having never had you involved with them, even if only for a brief moment in time, and how those moments influenced other moments and how many lives you have indirectly touched by the simplest of gestures.

I avoid it at all costs, I'm toxic and I wanna keep the world from my misery..

But, other than that, everything is Sunshine & Rainbows!!

Actually, (I'm a very scattered thinker) - my dogs! Every morning, I lean over (she's on my bed) and give her "morning love", just a way to say "Good morning, and I love you".. Plus, walks, treats, and non-stop petting and physical touch.. Does that count?

Don't say that...I bet you are a joy

Yeah man, you shouldn't be so hard on yourself, we all have our days in the rain but we also have our days in the sun, I am sure there are plenty of reasons to step into the light. Life is tough and beats the shit out of us, but don't let it win, look in the face, kick it in the nuts, and then teabag it, then look for people who value you for you and let go of the misery brother.

@Amisja - Lol, I don't care whether you think I'm a joy, or not.. My question is - Can small, sustained acts of love and kindness, toward an animal, or even plants(?) be considered "having a positive impact on the world"?

@Loud_Love No they have a positive effect on me

@Amisja - Tend to agree - loving a pet, tending a garden, etc. It doesn't have to be loud and noticeable - just for those people who plug around, picking up garbage, smiling at strangers, feeding stray animals.. Does it need to be a grandiose gesture to make a small difference in the world?

@Amisja -And, I was kidding with the Nihilism.. I'm not actually that negative..

@Loud_Love of course not...you love...loudly 😉

I like to do small acts and simple gestures that have meaning and purpose. I like to apply the concept of sondering to acts of kindness because you may not think what you are doing has any real effect on people but when you realize that everyone has just as complex and varied lives as you and that the simple act of boosting someone up can ripple into the lives of others it really opens up the possibilities for real change. So I never stop trying to help others no matter how big or small a deed it may be because your actions may lead to even better things for others you never even imagined. Be the change you want to see in the world.

I am not so much into humans, certainly feel more obligation to life in general.
My 1st rule is "do no harm" OK, I break it often, it is impossible not to.
I am aiming for a negative ecological footprint, I seldom drive, never fly, I am omnivorous but produce 80% of my own food which is all plant and unintentionally organic, it just happens. I use about 40 litres of town water per day. My main role is "Sustainability Coach" for our area, but that can include pretty much anything. I feed over a megawatt hour of solar power into the grid every month.

Nice man, sounds like you have a solid plan!

For 12 years as a volunteer, I have been helping low income, minority students write essays for college entry and scholarships. One of my best success stories is Brenda, who won $269,445 in scholarships in 2016.

"I am a beacon of hope in my neighborhood," Teresa said in 2014. "My younger siblings and neighbor kids look up to me. I am inspiring them to study hard, not drop out, get good grades and go to college."

Gabriela, the girl I am mentoring this year, never learned to drive. Since age 3, Gabriela has lived with her father. Her father sued for custody and won, because her mother was drinking heavily and using drugs.

I taught Gabriela to drive last winter. We started in the cemetary. "Everyone there is already dead," I said. Gabriela got her driver's license in February 2018. Her dad gave her a used, Volkswagen Passat. Gabriela is working at her first job; now she can drive herself to work.

Gabriela was accepted by the University of Washington. So far, she has applied for 37 scholarships. It thrills me to send these kids to college.

These are remarkable young people. The first girl I mentored, Yuliya, is a civil engineer at Puget Sound Shipyards. These kids are becoming medical doctors, engineers, teachers, psychologists and nurses. They are the first person in their family to go to college.

You are an inspiration!

MikeMike, thank you. The students I mentor all want to help their low-income parents. It feels like we are raising up poor neighborhoods, one family at a time. Being a college mentor is the most rewarding volunteer work I have ever done.

"During the time we worked together, what is one key thing you learned that you will take forward into college and life?" I asked Teresa.

"I used to be a terrible procrastinator," Teresa replied. "I learned to work ahead of time to meet deadlines. Look at my friends, sweating to write essays for the Community Foundation scholarship that is due at 5:00 today. We finished that scholarship application two weeks ago!"

Teresa laughed and skipped down the school steps.

I used to do it through my work, working with young people and then them and their parents. Plus multiple volunteer jobs which helped in the community. Then I decided to slow things down as I got older and am just trying to be what I see as a good person, being positive and thoughtful when I can and looking after myself. Obviously I try to look after the environment and my friends and family too, you don't poop in your bed!

I hear working with children can be one of the most rewarding paths a person could choose!

Yes, being a youth worker and working with street kids and challenged youth was great. I even had one young man. that I helped get into a career. thank me and stay in touch to give regular updates; that was the best.

If someone falls pick them up. If someone errors try to help them understand how it happened and how to prevent it .

By aiming to be 'not negative' - I don't know if I do actually have anything to give to the world so just not taking away from it.

Try hard to not be an asshole

Always a noble pursuit lol

Minimalism.
I try to get people to realize they don't have to play the Game as presented or expected.

Living sparsely and doing my part.Treating everyody with open arms.

I need to work on my carbon footprint, specially after seeing so many others doing it! I have an open arms policy as well, good to hear there are others who wish to spread the love!

Do unto others as you'd have others do unto you. It really is that simple.

What if that other is a panther..

@Loud_Love LOL then run.

Well, I'm fortunate to have several ways to help our community. I'm the head of a Special Olympics Delegation. I facilitate parties and other events for people with special needs on a regular basis. I do SILS work with 2 special needs clients for Volunteers of America. I donate to my local animal rescues and volunteer when I have time, which isn't as often as I'd like to.

By drawing animals to sell to help animals and I haven't got any children which are more important.

Not becoming a serial killer in my youth was step one. Sticking to that plan for the rest of my life is like.... Victory! Very Positive Aproach despite my Size 12 Small Footprint and lack of Capitalistic Pig Mentality I had procreated 3 wonderful human beings! And my Genes will move on in this Earth to be remembered by a few of us as one of a kind... after all.

I save animals. I try to be positive and will help someone if they are in danger or have injured themselves.

I lookout for the critters too, and thank you for looking out for others! People are prone to distancing themselves from those who are suffering or in danger out of fear of ending up in the same situation and it is just sad.

Worked with addicts in our federal prison for 15 yrs. I'm one myself so Have the experience to do it

Irwin Level 2 Apr 18, 2018

I have struggled with addiction before myself, you are doing a drastically needed service and I thank you for that!

I know l have no real impact on the world, and l am OK with that.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:60761
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.