Agnostic.com

12 32

Two young Barred Owls. "Good babies! Is your mom around?"

This morning, Karen and I hiked 6.6 miles total above Squilchuck State Park with about a thousand feet of elevation gain. With high heat, we stayed in the shade.

To our delight, we came across two young Barred Owls. It appeared they were waiting for their mother to feed them. They still had fluffy white down on their chests.

Karen spoke softy to the owls. "Good babies. Is your Mom around?" Unafraid, they answered with a low-pitched whoosh of air. They stayed put, waiting for mom.

Barred Owls have distinctive black eyes. Many owls have amber eyes.

What a treat! A magical, extremely rare encounter.

Photos:

1. Barred Owls.

2. Asters.

LiterateHiker 9 July 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Beautiful creatures...great shot

Nice owl photos, they are one of my favorite birds to photograph. It must have been a warm hike for you. I photographed a couple baby Great Horned Owls at Nisqually NWR a while back.

They're wishing you were just a little bit smaller. You know... bite-sized for owls.

That’s cool....

most evenings i can hear them. they are diurnal creatures and can scoop fish from the water like eagles and stuff. very neat. the asters are pretty too.

Incredible!

CS60 Level 7 July 12, 2021

Cool experience and great pictures!

Great shot, Kathleen. Which is a good reward for your hike.

mischl Level 8 July 12, 2021

@mischl

Thank you. It is extremely rare to see an owl while hiking.

Barred Owl Sounds:

@TheoryNumber3

Thank you for this wonderful video.

Cuties

bobwjr Level 10 July 12, 2021

Enchanting call when you are fortunate enough to hear one at night while in your camper or tent.

Beautiful pictures.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:609015
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.