Agnostic.com

17 13

He of little FAITH 🤔

I'm not sure if I'm the only one but don't you just hate it when theist say, WELL IT APPEARS YOU DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH FAITH BUDDY😂😂😂. This is why your prayers didn't work and God didn't answer them. WTF🤔

SkyreckedLoemm 5 July 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't know how they could possibly say that to me. I have a lot of faith that you are going to try to tell me that there is a god and that he is good and cares about everyone.

A large scale survey showed that prayer is not only useless it can actually be harmful. A group of people in hospital suffering from the after effects of heart attacks and strokes were split into two groups. Half were told that they were being prayed for and the other half were not. The group who were told recovered more slowly. It is thought that possibly the stress of feeling that they should be responding to the effects of the prayer affected their recovery.

Interesting.

that kind of prayer (supplication) is condemned by the Bible anyway

@bbyrd009 But surely that is what prayer is all about. If not praying for something or for someone what's the point. Every time there is a disaster thoughts and prayers are flying around thick and fast.

@Moravian i sure tend to agree, but i guess thats kinda like saying "hey God, i know better than you here" maybe? After all, Yah brings the "disaster," although that prolly isnt the whole story, our actions might cause disasters i guess. Anyway, this is what led to "the Lord's (terrible translation btw; a lord is an englyshe landholder right) Prayer.

@bbyrd009 So if we are not petitioning god for something in particular we are just thanking him/her/it for our blessings.
I could never get my head round the worshiping thing. The creator of the universe is of such low self esteem that he has to be praised constantly.?

@Moravian well, the likelyhood that our prayers are really for ourselves more than Yah has been put forward more than once...and as to the second, i dunno but i seriously doubt it? True worship is helping widows and orphans in their time of need paraphrased. So iow the bowing and scraping thing that we think Yah wants, but is actually what englyshe "lords" desire? I would call that anthropomorphism, or making god in our own image?

@bbyrd009 Good point . It is telling that the title "lord" is used in both cases. I was brought up on a sporting estate in Scotland and the laird even expected us peasants to salute him if we met him on the road.

@Moravian ha being amurrican, that is just hard to even contemplate

but yeh, reading the bible in englyshe is mostly a waste of time imo

Well, rude as it may (necessarily) be, my reaction to someone who says that is; well, you're a f*""ing idiot then, aren't you?

It seems to me to believe without proof, is something the more you do it, the more you enter into a delusional mindset. More faith means more delusional.

well, but there is a perfect analogue of "faith" that you use every day, sny, regardless of whether believers have co-opted the term or not?

There are numerous examples of prayer wishes not coming to fruition. Twice in about the last 5 years various Texas groups have prayed for rain, yet no rain came in any reasonable time period.

While I can't prove it, I am sure relations of people on their death bed prayed for that person's recovery. They don"t recover.

After I said I didn't pray so of course no prayer I didn't make was not answered, I'd ask for specific examples of prayer that did work for the faithful.

Just a shitty, excuse in order to place the blame on the person than to admit that their God is ineffective and just imaginary.

That's the same reason my magic spells never work. I don't believe hard enough.🙂
I guess I'll have to stay poor. Ha, ha.🤔
(Of course faith = spells.)

RichCC Level 8 July 15, 2021

Faith is a claim you make when you have no evidence at all for your position. The bible might use "doubting Thomas" as an example saying he had no faith or belief until he put his fingers into the nail scared hands of Jesus. It is a very flawed argument. In the bible this act made Thomas a believer. It gave him a sort of "evidence." We today have no such option. That makes this a bullshit story.

And this phrase spawned the “prayer warrior” movement so that faith can be proof through the mumbling of hundreds if not thousands in an effort to beseech the almighty for their cause (heal the sick, find the missing thing, stop/start the rain, protect our troops in a war zone, welcome the dead into heaven and bequeath the winning lottery ticket.)

Untold amount of time and energy and in the end the sick sometimes die anyway, the lost item never turns up, the weather continues to do it’s own thing, some servicemen/women never come home safely, the dead are just as dead, and the lottery never seems to payoff because in reality it is the poor mans tax.

But I have faith in the fact that there will always be a good number of people who think they can get anything they wish through prayer or maybe rubbing a lamp.

Hmmm...How much faith is enough to satisfy his god? Does faith work like the stars we used to get in kindergarten when we did something good? Can those points be redeemed for 'salvation' when we die? It puzzles me why an omniscient and omnipotent god would need to have you pray in the first place...If god is all-knowing, doesn't that mean he/she already knows what you're praying for, and whether you're sincere about asking for it? How does one measure piety? Does the Pope get everything he prays for? I mean, he's supposedly the most faithful Christian on earth, and we still have more pain and suffering than we know what to do with (assuming, of course, that the Pope prayed for mercy, and not...ya know...like a jet-ski or something...).

twitch Level 7 July 15, 2021

FAITH is becoming to be accepted by all as belief without evidence. It is what I call a crunch point in the abolition of religion. i.e. a point where many decisions have to be made and can greatly influence future behavior. However let us not be too hasty to dismiss the word itself. It would not exist at all if all people do not find it useful. I believe there are times and situations where one cannot have the evidence and yet there is a human necessity to bolster someones confidence .
It is the mis-use of the concept that we must complain about and not throw out something we use ourselves.

e.g. "Does my bum look big in this? " One cannot really see what she is seeing.

Well, ya know, if not enough people BELIEVE in gawd, I mean REALLY BELIEVE .... then gawd will just disappear, just like what happened to Santa.

Faith is what theist use when they have no evidence.

Had you complained to a theist who knows you are not a theist?

If so, you might not repeat that mistake.

They also love to say "God answers all prayers, sometimes the answer is no".

barjoe Level 9 July 15, 2021

I get the same results by praying to a jug of milk. But at least if you pray to milk long enough, something happens ..... the milk curdles.

When I finally realized that faith was not a virtue, I was free to fulfill my destiny as a nullifidian, and looked back on remarks such as you’ve described as a complement. The Great Agnostic, Robert Green Ingersoll, called faith an “unhappy mixture of ignorance and insanity,” so I reckon the less you have of it, the better off you’ll be!

I just punch them in the teeth and walk away when they do that. I imagine it really pisses them off.

Methinks you try to deceive us.

Has doing that garnered you an assault and battery charge yet?

@yvilletom Not yet but I walk fast. Very fast.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:609508
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.