Agnostic.com

15 3

What do you think is the biggest problem in the world and how would you solve it?

coloradoking 2 July 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

How to discuss in small groups, with your peers, the balanced and practical solutions to the rest of the worlds problems . If they could work towards doing everything peacefully that would be a bonus. It would also bring politics back to life.

Human population growth. And there is no solution, given that too much of the power in the world is in the hands of those who profit from there being more people, whether as customers , followers, voters, slaves, tax and tithe payers, tenants, supporters or soldiers.

We have met the enemy.

Republicans...ban them all to an island and let them do each other in.

Hands down, Lying

Prejudice. Alien attack on all of mankind should solve it.

The biggest problem in the world? Willful stupidity and willful ignorance. There is no known solution.

As for the willfully stupid, I'm not sure they realize they have a choice in not being stupid, they are just stuck there by some invisible means. If only there was some light to make them stand up and pay attention to truth and knowledge - but nope - they are following some other light artificially place there for the purpose of willing them to be stupid for someone's (evil or greedy) means.

@Julie808 I like your observation. For what it is worth, I have worked with people who are stupid in the sense used in my comment, but I do not regard them as willfully stupid, this because they exert 100% of such intellectual capacity as they have. My understanding of your reply is what happens when people who are not that bright are exploited by others for their own nefarious purposes.

@Julie808 Yes I think that there is such a thing as willfully stupid. Since yes, though there are people who lack brain power, but I think they are few, and that by far the greatest amount of stupidity is caused by laziness and fear, because people are unwilling to engage with education, even when it is freely available, because it may demand something from them, or it is not comforting. So they would rather go to a preacher, for example, (There are other sources. ) who will provide easy , comforting nonsense confirming what the inner child wants to hear, than take down a text book or think things through. Even though they may well know that that is not the best way to address or research the issues.

OVER POPULATION which indirectly causes all the other problems
Depletion of natural resources
Increased habitat loss
Extinction of species
Global warming and climate change
Loss of freshwater
Eutrophication
Deforestation
Malnutrition starving famine
Conflicts and wars.

Overpopulation is definitely a major problem. It just blows my mind that most of those on the main forum of this website support people who favor open borders which does nothing but make the situation far worse.

death, pestilence, cracker jack prizes suck. i would wish them away.

They used to be so much better...

(not death or pestilence; they were never good)

I got a magnifying glass as a prize once, 50+ years ago, that only made things worse to look at things so closely, haha!

It exist, let the non-existent flying spaghetti monster sky God take it to non-existance to be with the non-existent flying spaghetti monster sky God in non-existance.

Word Level 8 July 17, 2021

For me I think it's a lack of respect and grace toward others, preventing the feeling of inclusiveness necessary in a pluralistic community. Not sure how to solve it other than just teaching and enshrining the value of understanding others, their roots, beliefs, experiences, why they think or act the way they do.

Easier said than done - I feel myself giving up on people all the time in exasperation, because they are so far gone down a rabbit hole of misinformation or old habits that it's hard to focus on common ground because of the elephant in the room, but if they could meet me halfway, and I do the same, perhaps there would be harmony.

If the solution was easy, it would likely be solved. However, there is value to some to keep the divide going, and that's a whole other story. (Greed, power, control...)

I’m constantly pointing out things Conservatives at work are concerned with agreeing with progressives and they refuse to acknowledge that progressives think the same, insisting we’re Marxist and honestly convinced we want government to take over production. It’s stupid and the conversation only progresses if they bring it up, or they make a loud stupid proclamation that promotes the big lie. Something they haven’t done since Jan 6th.
It takes a lot of patience.
That’s why I come here where I don’t have to bite my tongue to coddle hyper sensitive conservatives like when you injure yourself and need to cuss but little children are around, or that’s how it feels.

Trying to exist post-truth. There is no solution, just wait for death.

Greed and religion. I don't believe either is fixable. Humanity was a bad accident.

I’m going to assume you mean the biggest problem for humans, and I’d say... evolutionary mismatch.
[en.wikipedia.org]
And I suspect the solution may very well be beyond our reach, but one thing that is clearly needed is a global, unifying narrative to augment, if not replace, the world's competing narratives. It needs to be an unimpeachable story that transcends all local cultures, and can be verified by observation and testing. You know... like science. But not science alone. A reuniting, as John Vervaeke advises, of our Knowledge Traditions with our Wisdom Traditions.

skado Level 9 July 17, 2021

The biggest problem is my lack of money, the preferred solution would be for other people to give me lots of money.

I advocate for relativity.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:610093
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.