Agnostic.com

15 25

Arlene, my housekeeper of 12 years, passed away last month. She developed a glioblastoma and went through the surgery and chemotherapy. Those may have helped, but I believe she then developed cachexia and wasted away.

At the memorial service, her mother conducted a very religious eulogy, repeated imploring listeners that God was real, Jesus was real, and Heaven was real. She also mentioned Satan a couple of times, but her need to state what is expected by faith seemed odd.

Perhaps the family felt comforted by the familiar phrases about joining those that had previously passed, and the words made sense even if they had no basis. Perhaps people who have so little feel they have more if they have a grand fantasy that magnifies their existence. I tried as hard as I could to see something positive in their faith.

And yet…

I have nothing better to offer them (except actual truth). My science is not comforting and works poorly to engender interpersonal familiarity. However comforting religion is, religious behavior generates psychosis, trauma and the ugliest behaviors. I wouldn’t want to take away the hope these people have, and yet false hope is poisonous and necessarily blocks the genuine awe that comes from honest truth-seeking…

She and I had many adventures over the years, and I miss her smile and camaraderie.

racocn8 9 July 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

At a funeral it is more relevant and emotional to concentrate on the person rather than going on about God. I do agree with what you say but I think they probably ran the funeral in the way they are used to. I too have been to this type of funeral and find them very impersonal and bland. Your last sentence was touching and I'm very sorry for the loss of your friend.

I'm guessing that your housekeeper treated you with respect and vice-versa even though there may have been a difference in your religious views. And you may not have reason to cross paths or converse with her family in the near future, but if you do, perhaps that could be the bridge you could extend when you express your condolences, if you're comfortable expressing your non-religious views...

You could share that you miss her smile and camaraderie, and that she always treated you kindly despite possible religious differences. Maybe remind them that while you don't believe in an afterlife or a physical heaven or hell, you feel her kindness lives on in your memories of her.

Regarding seeing deceased loved ones again "in Heaven" I always feel that people who mean a lot to us have created a little spot of heaven in our hearts, where they do live on after they're gone. Of course, there are those who also created a little corner of Hell in our hearts, haha, and that's how we remember them.

I feel that there's always room for a different perspective and a reminder that not everyone is of the same religious persuasion who admired their loved one. Maybe in time, they will cease to speak in derogatory terms about people who believe differently than they do.

so just say the last sentence and don't over think it let them have their moment and keep quiet

I'm sorry for your loss. 12 years is a long time to know someone and they become almost like family. Her mother sounds almost desperate in enforcing religious nonsense. I'm sure that end of it is hard for many in this time now of wanting protection from anything different than you. My oldest daughter is 50 and came over recently for a movie night. I talked to her of my political activism, showed her live news from all over the world, and she was overwhelmed. Her view is that if she had all this in her head she would go insane. The irony is that she lives in a world of all drama and to be able to cope and have protection she went back to her belief in an invisible god and a living Jesus. My opinion is that all this does is increase the stress and drama.

For me, religion takes away the necessity to think. It allows behavior that no thinking person would tolerate. The word spiritual is erroneously associated with religion. Some have derived spirituality and inspiration via their religion, as you can see in the art and music, but that is not the rule.
I believe there is spirituality, inspiration and awe outside religion. One has only to stand high up on a mountain and look down at the world, or take a stroll in the woods on a beautiful morning, or listen to a great melody or view an painting by Van Gogh. The life of a person is cause for awe for its great significance that inspires love and then grief over what we have lost. Sorry for your loss.

Religious garbage like that is why I am stating in my final wishes I do not want any religious speeches or symbols at my funeral. Most Funeral homes display crosses everywhere including the can. I told my brother not to spend a bunch of money on a fancy casket and headstone. Told him to go cheap and keep as much of my money as he can for himself. I feel for you having to sit through all that BS, was your housekeeper religious like her family or more realistic like you?

She was minimally religious in my presence. I knew she believed, but she didn't push it on me. Once in a rare while, she said she'd say a prayer for this or that. She knew I was atheist, and would preface with "I know you don't believe, but....(etc.)"

Sorry for your loss.
It sucks to have to sit through religious bullshit when you're mourning the loss of someone.
Another reason why I no longer attend funerals.
I can't stomach that crap.

And that's also the reason I got into performing funerals secular style. After several religious funerals for family members and friends who weren't even all that religious, I attended a secular celebration for someone I was only slightly connected to, and focused on her human qualities. I liked it so much, I went home and decided to learn to do humanistic funerals for the non-religious. I feel it's better for the grieving to have a humanistic celebration of life, rather than no funeral at all.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I suspect after 12 years she had become an integral part of your life and you'll miss her for some time. I hope your memories help comfort you through your loss.

I understand your dilemma. I no longer attend funerals unless it's for someone I'm close to. It's just too difficult to hear all the babble about "reunification" in heaven when I know this just isn't so. It feels like I'm grieving on a whole different level than they are. And I am.

Some time after my father's funeral, my sister (a believer) turned to me out of the blue and asked, "So you don't believe you'll ever see Dad again?" It wasn't antagonistic. She honestly couldn't imagine how painful that reality would be. And it is. But if I'm going to open a conversation with a believer, the loss of a loved one never feels like a good time to lean into it.

Lauren Level 8 July 18, 2021

I still attend Christian or Catholic funerals if it's a person I actually knew and liked, as well as members of my family, because even tho I don't like or agree with the religious stuff, I do it out of respect and appreciation of the dead person, and to show my support to the surviving friends and family. I consider it no big deal to keep quiet during the service and not be too critical of things afterward, just maybe saying that I feel different about honoring the dead, etc. As I said below, their house, their rules.

I don't have to agree with their rules and ways to feel an obligation and value in just showing up and giving my support and love for the dead that way.

@TomMcGiverin That's very kind of you, and I agree "their house, their rules". It would be inappropriate for me to criticize.

And I am willing to do it for someone who is close to me - I consider it kind of like a gift to them - but it wears on me when it's for casual friends. In those instances, I find other ways to show my support.

@Lauren I totally agree with you, I show up mostly for the dead person out of appreciation for them, and like you, I don't go is it's someone I only knew casually.

Peace be with you.

well said. you surprise me. condolences.

I'm terribly sorry for your loss. I hope the memories you have of her from the many years shared are of some comfort when you feel her absence in your daily life.

I realize that many people find comfort in the notion that they'll be reunited with their loved ones in an afterlife, but I find that to be an empty feeling. I don't want to live life thinking my interactions today don't really matter because there's an eternity ahead of us. The very thought cheapens the precious time we actually have.

Was Arlene a believer?

She was a believer, but she never sought to convert me though she often referenced issues from that perspective.

@racocn8 Thanks for sharing your experience, brother. Even believers have much to offer.

When my Dad died, I wasn't much help. I was there with him in the hospital. My Mom let a cousin run the funeral. Way too religious. As we left my son said, "If Pop-Pop had a god, it was FDR. Few attendees were happy with the evangelical bs, but no one said anything at the time. No religious shit at the meal afterwards.

FDR saved more lives than any god ever did.

Sounds typical. You live in the Midwest, like me, where everyone is too bound up in enforced politeness to speak up about stuff like how the service had too much evangelical BS. Except for maybe a few radical troublemakers like me, lol......

Maybe, like they do at most Unitarian memorial services, they should have allowed friends of the deceased to be able to get up and share some reflections on the person who died. But I know that is rarely done or allowed at Christian churches, which is too bad. Their house, their rules. I know that when I die, my closest friend will have all the say about my memorial service, unless I have another partner by then, and I have directed them to only allow the speakers that I have already designated to speak about me at the service. That is for two reasons. First, my siblings have had little contact with me during my adult life and frankly, they do not understand, appreciate, or respect me, so I don't want them to be able to comment on me at the service, when they are basically strangers to me for the last few decades. Secondly, I have seen way too many instances at memorial services where someone the dead person despised, got up there during the open sharing period for friends and family of the deceased and used the platform to spew out a lot of phony baloney admiration or complimentary stuff about the deceased. I am not trying to control the service from the grave, so to speak, but simply trying to preserve the values and attitude of trying to practice truth and integrity the same way I have in my life.

I also know I can count on my friends who I designate to also mention some of my faults and character flaws, as well as my virtues and positive acts, so there will be balance, lol...

It is very very hard to convince Christians that the Jesus story is a fable. Hopefully they will smarten up and dump Jesus on their own.

"The best cure for Christianity is reading the Bible" SClemens
which btw abs none of what she believes is in there,
No one has ever gone up to heaven... etc

@bbyrd009 I think that is true...read the Bible and you will recognize that it is a fairy tale.

@nicknotes you're disagreeing with "no one has ever gone up to heaven?"
i suggest that religion is but the thinnest veneer on a wisdom collection that is deliberately written so as to hide wisdom from the wise (in their own eyes), and reveal it to…others, to quite efficient effect. agnostics, perhaps

the main character disses religion at every turn, tells them their temple is going to fall not one stone left on another and praises atheists and pagans for their deeds? how can that be a book about “religion?” there is shit in there more trippy than lsd when you get it ok
believers have no idea whats in the bible, even the surface story; why trust them? “Jesus” more or less translates to “you” prolly btw

@bbyrd009 No one has ever gone to Heaven. I don't even believe Heaven exists. It is all a fairy tale.

@nicknotes yes, a fairy tale about human nature, which i guess has not changed even a little bit since then.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:610349
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.