Agnostic.com

7 7

I have achieved an awkward age.
A lady at work burned some toast in our engineering break room.
I walked across the cubicle bay and smelt burned toast not knowing what happened.
That smell scared the F out of me.

Willow_Wisp 8 July 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If your aware of how your body feels I would think you could be clued a stroke of sorts was starting or happening. I hope cause there are good treatments if you catch it in time. Trigger smells or phantom odors may mean you gotta good sniffer...burnt electrical connections are crazy subtle hints that electrical connections are overheated.

Phantosmia is one thing however the first signs of a stroke include:

Sudden numbness or weakness in any part of your body
Trouble expressing yourself with language, including the inability to speak or understand what's being said to you
Difficulty walking
Sudden onset of any kind of confusion
A sudden and painful headache

I have severe carpal tunnel so numbness.
Migraines all my life.
Trouble walking from arthritis.
Never mind, I have all those symptoms to one degree or another already.
So there’s no way to know really, just suddenly smelling burnt toast in an environment where I have never smelled burnt toast just gave me a psychological double take.
If you were me you’d understand.

@Willow_Wisp I understand the burning smell connection and I understand your valuable and insightful contributions here.

Burned toast triggers you?

Only if I have no reason to believe there's any burnt toast around to smell.

Do you watch Archer??

@JeffMurray not in a while..thanks for the reminder!

Messages through the nose reach the deepest part of the brain. Mother's milk possibly the first sensation of the olfactory system??

That would be disorienting! What a way to start the day.

I occasionally have bouts of smelling phantom cigarette smoke in a house where no one has ever smoked, and will start looking for other symptoms of a tumor. The side effects of aging suck.

Lauren Level 8 July 20, 2021

?????? Tell us why?

When you smell burnt toast and there's no burned toast it's a possible indication you're having a stroke.

@Willow_Wisp having had a stroke, I am no kidding pretty aware of this, but the poster stated someone Had actually burned toast......

@AnneWimsey "I walked across the cubicle bay and smelt burned toast not knowing what happened."

@Willow_Wisp what you said.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:610601
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.