Agnostic.com

6 15

LINK Delta variant: 8 things you should know | Coronavirus | UC Davis Health

WE ARE NOT OUT OF THE COVID WOODS YET!!

A newer strain of COVID-19 is causing concern as cases are rising in California and across the U.S. The Delta variant, which originated in India, began spreading more rapidly and making news around the middle of June. Now, health experts are warning of another surger of COVID-19. Here's what health experts have learned about the Delta variant:

1. Delta variant is highly contagious
    As of July 22, nearly 80% of UC Davis Health patients who tested positive for COVID-19 had the Delta variant. According to the CDC during the same week, the Delta variant accounted for more than 80% of new cases in the U.S. Health experts say it's typical for a new strain of a virus to be more contagious because it often becomes much more efficient and easily transmitted.

2. Delta variant symptoms are the same
    The symptoms of the Delta variant appear to be the same as the original version of COVID-19. However, physicians are seeing people getting sicker quicker, especially for younger people. Recent research found that the Delta variant grows more rapidly – and to much greater levels – in the respiratory tract.

Typically, vaccinated people are either asymptomatic or have very mild symptoms if they contract the Delta variant. Their symptoms are more like those of a common cold, such as cough, fever or headache, with the addition of significant loss of smell.

1. Delta variant is affecting unvaccinated people more
    Most patients hospitalized at UC Davis Medical Center are people who have not received the COVID-19 vaccine. Nationally, 97% of patients hospitalized with COVID-19 are unvaccinated, as of July 22. Vaccines are highly effective at preventing COVID-19 infection and are also effective in fighting against the Delta variant.

In California and across the U.S., data shows that areas with lower vaccination rates tend to have higher COVID-19 infection rates. Health experts urge that COVID-19 vaccines work to prevent severe disease, which may be fatal.

Learn how to schedule your COVID-19 vaccine at UC Davis Health

1. Breakthrough cases for vaccinated people are rare, but do happen
    When a vaccinated person tests positive for COVID-19, most either have no symptoms or have very mild symptoms, and it rarely results in hospitalization or death. Their symptoms are more like those of a common cold, such as cough, fever or headache, with the addition of significant loss of smell.

As of July 22, there were 65,000 breakthrough cases (or people who are vaccinated but got COVID-19) among the 160 million people who are fully vaccinated. That's 0.04% of vaccinated people reporting breakthrough cases. No vaccine is 100% effective. With the COVID-19 vaccines averaging about 90% efficacy, health experts expect about 10% of those vaccinated could be infected.

1. Delta variant could be catastrophic is some communities
    In communities with lower vaccination rates, particularly rural areas with limited access to care, the Delta variant could be even more damaging. This is already being seen around the world in poorer countries where the COVID-19 vaccine isn't as accessible. Health experts say the impact could be felt for decades to come.

Learn more about UC Davis Health's efforts to care for and vaccinate underserved communities

1. Many unvaccinated patients with COVID-19 wish they had gotten the vaccine
    UC Davis Health physicians have noted that a number of younger patients, when they come in with critical illness, say that they wish they would have gotten the COVID-19 vaccine. Many patients have told their physicians, "Why did I not get the vaccine?" or "Why did I not listen?"

2. Some experts are recommending to wear masks, even if you're fully vaccinated
    Many health experts across the country are wearing masks themselves even though they're fully vaccinated against COVID-19. They're also advising vaccinated people to avoid large gatherings and mask up indoors where the vaccination status of other people is unknown.

3. More COVID-19 variants are likely to come
    The Delta variant is currently the most prominent strain of COVID-19, but the Lambda variant out of South America is also emerging. Health experts urge that if people want to get back to normal, a significant portion of the population needs to be vaccinated. As long as a chunk of people across the world are unvaccinated, new strains of the virus will continue to develop and cause problems.

HippieChick58 9 July 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yerp, I'm fully masking and social distancing again. Likely the new normal in the USA as the world's disorganized fight against covid is going to breed new variants regularly in the years to come.

Delta Variant getting bad in Missouri. I'm fully vaccinated and no longer wear a mask but I have one in my car. If asked to wear it, I will. If this gets worse my corporation will again require us to mask up.

I was out and about today, Costco and other grocery shopping. I am fully vaccinated, and I still wore my mask. I am not taking chances. This is a Republican state and I don't trust my fellow citizens.

@HippieChick58 I'm in the same boat and I live in a city that is extremely red, so I don't trust my neighbors either. Once again, we are on our own if we live in a red state.

We are getting a resurgence here, mainly due to tourists most from Pennsylvania, local business have pressured for not reinstating mask mandate, profits before people

bobwjr Level 10 July 31, 2021

theres already a new variant i guess, read about it last night…so, you guys should confidently expect new variants to fear, for years to come! You are not ever going to be “out of the woods” on this, as ling as you are in fear of a natural process that has happened since humans have walked the earth, and is not about to stop happening anytime soon, ok?
Be afraid, be very afraid!

y’all know ppl die from viruses every year, right? Do you really expect to get that number down to, what, zero? What number would bring us back to “normal,” iyo?
Dont kid yourselves, ok; there is no acceptable number now

So, at least one good thing might come of this; ppl are now much more cognizant of their immune systems, no thanks to uncle sam, and advice for maintaining your immune system will proliferate, but again don't expect any PSAs on it lol

I don't live in fear. I listen to doctors and scientists and follow their advice. I live with respect for the threats around us. I also lock my car doors whenever I leave my car. I also lock my house at night and when I'm gone. I stop at stop signs and stop lights. I wear seatbelts and my car has airbags. It isn't living in fear, it is living in reality with respect to the threats around us.

@HippieChick58 no offense but you listen to the news, and have no idea what the medical dissenting voices are saying, bc they are kept from you! (they do have a website though, fwiw)

So you only get to hear the rockefeller voices, who have all embraced the “disease from outside” model, which is pure shite

best of luck to you ok

@HippieChick58 Pay no attention to the naysayers around us. If they had their way we would still have Smallpox, Polio and many other deadly diseases we have mostly eradicated through medications and vaccinations. The sane among us do know vaccinations have been around for hundreds of years and have proven to work. Unfortunately, they have also allowed the earth to be overpopulated with humans.

There's never been a virus like this before, and thanks to ignorant people spreading nonsense Covid is kicking humanity's a**. On the plus side the ignorant folk who shun masks and vaccines are wildly disproportionately dying. Good riddance.

@bbyrd009 Why should we trust the "dissenters' website? What percentage of the scientists "disagree"? Why should we trust them, not to mention you, more than the news?

I've continued to wear a mask when I'm around people, even though I'm vaccinated.
I expect I will continue to do so for a long time to come.
We're all surrounded by idiots.

I'm vaccinated and I have started wearing a mask in public and avoiding indoor restaurant dining. I'm wearing the mask both to keep me from getting the Delta variant and to avoid getting in a symptomatic case and then infecting others. There's not been enough emphasis on the fact that the more people that get covid the more mutations will occur and the likelihood that the mutation will be even more deadly.

I took one microbiology course a few years ago and predicted this would happen in a conversation with my father. Wearing a mask indoors is smart, depending on where you live there may be large numbers of unvaccinated people not wearing masks. My county has the largest infection rates of the pandemic right now, I'm wearing mine and avoiding people.

Isn't it sad that this was avoidable? Millions of vaccine doses not used here in the US, all the unnecessary death.

i feel for you, honestly, but i guess i would rather die than live like that anyway…
wouldnt you much rather be in a position to laugh at a coronavirus, and not stress about it?

@MizJ healthy ppl separating themselves from the human biome is pure suicide, and you are advocating that ppl actively participate in their own demise, with all due respect. Rockefeller would surely be proud, or aghast, dunno

@bbyrd009 Becuz wearing a mask is SUCH a hardship.........?????

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:612785
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.