Agnostic.com

10 12

LINK ‘Do You Believe in God?:’ DOJ Policy Nominee’s Confirmation Hearing Turns Tense Over Culture-War Issues

Hampton Dellinger, a former partner at Boies Schiller Flexner, was grilled over his past statements on abortion and Supreme Court decisions.

Republican senators grilled President Joe Biden’s nominee to run the U.S. Department of Justice’s Office of Legal Policy about his past statements on abortion and recent Supreme Court decisions during a sometimes tense Senate Judiciary Confirmation hearing on Wednesday.

Hampton Dellinger, a former partner at Boies Schiller Flexner—who if confirmed will advise DOJ leadership on policy matters and help vet judicial candidates—touted his fact-based approach to matters of law and policy and his ability to work across the aisle. Dellinger served as former North Carolina deputy attorney general and chief legal counsel for the state’s governor, Mike Easley.

“I’ve been in a law enforcement organization,” Dellinger said. “I recognize you have to have an overriding focus on independence and on being apolitical, being nonpartisan, working with career employees and officials of both parties. If I’m fortunate enough to be confirmed, that’s exactly what I would do.”

Republicans weren’t convinced.

Sen. John Kennedy, R-Louisiana, produced a printout of a 2019 tweet from Dellinger about abortion in which Dellinger said there were some Republican women and a handful of Democrats who want “government, not women, to control women’s bodies.”

“’But if there were no Republican men in elected office, there would be no abortion bans,’” Kennedy said, quoting from the tweet.

The tweet prompted a sharp exchange about the motivations behind the debate over abortion. Kennedy said it suggested that anti-abortion Republicans only hold that stance because they are “misogynistic.”

“Do you believe in God?” Kennedy asked. “Did it ever occur to you that some people may base their position on abortion on their faith?”

“I sincerely appreciate that people have a different position on abortion than I do,” Dellinger said, later adding, “I recognize the difference between someone saying something inartfully as a private citizen and working as a lawyer, and I think I’ve got a 30-year track record of being open-minded.”

Sen. Josh Hawley, R-Missouri, raised Dellinger’s past criticisms of Supreme Court decisions striking down campaign finance restrictions in McCutcheon v. FEC and Citizens United v. FEC, suggesting that Dellinger would recommend judges to the White House who want to overturn Supreme Court precedent.

Dellinger stressed he would have an “important but limited role” in the judicial selection process, constrained to analyzing potential nominees’ backgrounds and qualifications.

“I will not be an advocate in the role that I hope to be confirmed for,” he said.

Hawley also raised Dellinger’s 30-year-old criticism of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas during Thomas’ controversial confirmation battle in 1991. As a student at Yale Law School, Dellinger wrote that Thomas’ decisions would not have legitimacy and that using the term “justice” to apply to Thomas would be “an oxymoron.”

Dellinger said the statements were made decades ago during a heated confirmation process and said they “don’t reflect my recognition of his service on the court and the importance of his service on the court.”

Democrats pointed to Dellinger’s long record serving in a variety of positions. He has an active pro bono practice, where he has sought the removal of Confederate monuments and represented women’s soccer players seeking better playing conditions. He started his own firm last year after leaving Boies Schiller.

Sen. Chris Coons, D-Delaware, noted that he has the support of both faith and law enforcement organizations in North Carolina.

His father, Walter Dellinger, is a former solicitor general and appellate partner at O’Melveny & Myers.

Dellinger did receive a measure of Republican support.

Sen. Thom Tillis, R-North Carolina, Dellinger’s home state, said he had a “different perspective” than his colleagues, noting that he’s heard from people in North Carolina across the political spectrum who are supportive of his nomination.

HippieChick58 9 Aug 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I notice lots of posted replies with the term "GQP" instead of GOP. I think I get it. I'm gonna start using it. Looks like the Grand QAnon Party to me.

Precisely! It's all about the White Nationalist Cult!

The day republicans become statesmen.......when hell freezes over, and the sun sets in the east......

Kennedy is an embarrassment in a state rich in embarrassments.

They are reving up their base however only a simple majority is required to confirm these appointments.

"Confirmation process for Joe Biden's Cabinet nominees - Ballotpedia" [ballotpedia.org]

I'm just so bloody sick of this bullshit.
The gqp should be classified as a terrorist organization.

Kennedy should have been called out for his inappropriate question, if not actually sanctioned!
The GQP is hell-bent on creating a Christian, elitist nation, here.
Tucker-whore is in Hungary, kissing up to the P.M., Orbån, who has all but created one there.

Republicans resent that they are not in power. They will continue to do everything they can, including harassment and illegal acts, to make it difficult for Democrats to succeed.

Republicans want mindless twats running things, not any one who can think.

They just want Republican hacks who only agree with them. Republicans have become power hungry to the point of verging on tyrannical. Recent voter suppression laws and voter nullification laws are proof of it.

The Founding Fathers were rather clear about the role of religion for serving in government. Before the First Amendment, they wrote that no religious test is to restrict who can serve in government. Asking a nominee if he believes in God is probably a violation of this clause.

Article VI, Clause 3: .... no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.

As for Dellinger's past criticisms of recent Supreme Court decisions such as Citizens United, he sounds like someone I would agree with more often than not.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the exercise thereof."

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:613476
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.