Agnostic.com

8 6

Today, August 15th, is the Christian feast of the assumption of Mary.
In contrast to the religious assertion that Mary was airlifted to "heaven" in mid-August, I take that to mean the day when we reflect on the assumption that either Mary, or her mother, also called Mary, ever even existed.

Petter 9 Aug 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The Transcription Service Transcriberry: <a href="https://transcriberry.com/skype-transcription-service/" rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" target="_blank" class="forumlink">[transcriberry.com]]([transcriberry.com] is broken down into key segments and regions, including North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and the Rest of the World. This study provides an in-depth analysis of the market's size, growth, and key players. It also highlights key technologies and opportunities. The market's most notable feature is the number of players.

Did they eat her? Were they cannibals? I'm confused.

That's more consumption, than assumption.

It is also the 30th anniversary of my sister's vow-taking as a Catholic Sister. I believe it is the case for most Sisters to take vows on that day.

almost surely not; “maryam” or miriam has a meaning, that can be accessed in an etymology, which strongly suggests that she is representative? imo anyway
[abarim-publications.com]

also “the virgin will be with child” would have been heard completely differently by contemporaries, as “the virgin” was a known quantity then, Athena or whoever, right

I know. A virgin was merely a young, obedient woman, even if she were married.

@Petter well, Athena was who i had in mind

@Gwendolyn2018 im hardly sure either, but Athena worship was pretty prevalent then? So, my premise would be that just as Mary is now what comes to mind when we say "the virgin," i gotta believe that athena is what came to mind for them

@Gwendolyn2018 the ety of “mary” doesnt really suggest “meek and mild,” at least to me (mara “to be rebellious” or marar “to be bitter or strong&rdquo😉, but then Mary was unknown then, right? and i approached it from the perspective of a contemporary, what would they hear @ “virgin?” plus i doubt an actual Mary ever existed, although i might be off there…but as a symbol the text just made more sense to me. dunno

@Gwendolyn2018 not meaning to compare at all, so much as to say that “Christians” barely existed at the time, and “Mary” would have basically been an unknown quantity? Whereas “the virgin” would have been a known one, even to the jews, hence the virgin will be with child could be a metaphor for “that belief system will evolve into ____” perhaps

@Gwendolyn2018 so, a point i was maybe not being too clear on; i am not trying to reconcile with what ill call the “cover story,” fwiw

@Gwendolyn2018 well, once the symbolic story is understood, the literal one just tends to pale into insignificance, whether it is literally true or not. Hence beloved and obstinate might go together, to paint a picture of a woman (nation) rather than a literal one of a virgin miraculously birthing a savior in a manger (during a census, no less), whose name likely works out to “John Doe, from Nowhere” anyway? Those terms are all representative, and we have the legend for them, more or less

prolly particularly evident in the jacob/esau story, with the red stew—surely “sacrifices” or something similar—and all. The cover story, that at first read is taken at face value, even falls apart as soon as you start asking questions; jacob inherits, but he is the one who leaves? etc

anyway theres other stuff going on with mary—the “magdalene,” etc—that strongly suggest types imo

Well given the likelihood of someone in the Middle East naming their daughter Mary some 2000+ years ago, I tend to agree with you....🤔

Maria, though, was a middle Eastern name.

ya, reading through the filter of a different language only compounds the pain lol

I know, but if they had paid the airlift fee earlier to some agency they might have still made it. These agencies rely on your fear. Also, imagine Jesus ascending up into the clouds similar to watching a helium balloon that was released in the air. After a while it just disappears. Since it is not recorded that way in the bible we know that the ascension of Jesus was false. Nobody had helium balloons or anything that would rise into the clouds on it's own back then so the description is wrong.

BTW, what did Mary assume? Apparently her mother assumed the same thing. LOL

you “know” that the ascension of jesus was false, yet here we are talking about him 2k years later? 2 major world religions holding him in high esteem? ok

I would think this would be called the "Catholic" feast of the assumption of Mary. Although Catholicism is considered Christian, not all Christian sects give much consideration to Mary other than being the mother of Jesus. My opinion of course.

As an aside, how many "Catholic" religions are there? Roman Catholic is but one of them.
(I know there are 23 Eastern Catholic churches and there is even an Anglican Catholic church.)

@Petter hmm, who knew? “anglican catholic” sure sounds like an oxymoron, huh?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:616049
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.