Agnostic.com

64 15

Ever been called ugly or some other mean spirited slur to your face?

I got called ugly today and was laughed at pretty hard after it was said. This makes the 5th time in my life someone made sure to let me know what my problem is... Anyone have similar experiences?

MikeMike 5 Apr 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

64 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

haha definitely...

the first that hurt me that I can remember was in school...
there was this kid who I thought was cute af.. His name was Raymond...
He was a dick and I liked him even more because of it...
I think he found out somehow that I had a crush on him and one day he walked up to me and said, "Hey Megan! You are pretty!" ... I was kind of stunned for a moment... and then he said, "pretty ugly! ha!" and yeah... it's pretty funny now to think about it but at the time he definitely got me.. so I have to give him props for that.

My first time being called ugly was similar, it was a crush of mine and I only tried to sit next to her on the bus and she said, "You can sit my ugly ass in the back, I'm saving this for Jeremy". And that was the last time I ever let someone know I had a crush on them without them saying something first. Some things just sit with you and mold your outlook, I am sorry that happened to you but am glad you can laugh at it now, thank you for sharing!

Also, I don't see your looks as someone who would be asked to stand in the "ugly" line. You have nice looks. I used to be self conscious about my looks. I don't anymore. I accept my face and mostly love it. (except first thing in the morning) :/

Thank you very much, and I think everyone has those mornings where it's just ugh, specially if my hair is longer, I start looking like an anime character first thing in the morning 😛 lol

I was called a republican,ONCE!!!

Them's fightin words!

Ouch!!!!!!

I was one of the ugly kids in primary school. I had the three Fs going on - I was fat, I wore glasses (therefore 4 eyes) and I had freckles. I was ugly, fat 4 eyed freckle face.

This was a piece of public knowledge.

Things changed; well, to some degree. I got my growth spurt. I lost that puppy fat. And I'm still wearing jeans from 20 plus years ago because I am a skinny mofo.

I still have the glasses; I like them. I look better for them.

The freckles? Well, that's the point of this rambling post. I started out with a lot and I still have most of them left. There was a girl in my second year of primary school and Christ in a sidecar, she teased me for being freckle face. Mercilessly.

A couple of years ago my then lover told me she thought one of my freckles was sexy.

Which changed the way I see myself.

Things change, in the most unexpected ways.

Just read through some of the comments. I am SO damned sorry so many of you have been treated so shabbily by people. I get it.
I spent decades feeling like I wasn't worthy because that's all I'd been told for so long.
I also spent years in therapy, learning that none of that was my fault, none of it was true,
and none of it had ANY power over me anymore.
This is part of the reason that I embrace anger as a motivator. I have learned to channel it to
give me the energy to live my life. I also don't take shit from anyone. I can be nice as pie, right
up until it's time to be NOT NICE. When that happens, it's on the person who thought it would be
a good idea to be a disrespectful piece of shit. I will make that person cry. I highly recommend it, it's very freeing. Don't have to lay a hand on them, either.
Anyone can do it, too. If I learned, you all can.

Like so many other people who've commented, I'm really sorry you had to experience that. I think it's pretty clear who the ugly one was! It isn't your problem -- it's theirs. You'll eventually have the last laugh anyway. For people who put such an insanely high value on appearance, there's nothing as excruciating as aging.

One time when I was in my 20s I was working in a deli ,and I asked out one of the customers out for a date,and she her reply was I only go out with good looking guys.
at the time what she said really hurt my feelings . But since then I have used what she said to work on improving myself.
so I consider myself just an average looking man.
but I have a lot to offer to a woman due to the fact that I am a honest ,caring man who respects andvalues women I have a beautiful soul

Come to my city, honest, caring man .... you will have to call the police to arrest all the women who will be beating on your door. My city has lots of smart women who respect and like smart men.

I used to work night shift at a hotel in Miami beach. One day coming out of work, walking by a night club, a girl grabbed my arm and told me "let me get you in, ugly guys like you are simply not allowed"

My mother was a narcissist and my father is a sociopath. Growing up I heard things like " good thing you're smart, you're so fat and ugly no man would ever want you" and " too bad you weren't born a boy, you might be worth a damn". I was also nglected and abuse physical and sexually. Took a very long time to see myself as well enough. Today I am actively pursuing a creative career in process of selling several screenplays, working a live show, singing on a band. The real gift of my parents is the perfect example of how not to be. When dealing with my own son, I think "what would my parents do?" And do the opposite. My one regret is it took so long to actually undo the damage they did, I wasted time I could have been being happy.

You became strong and healthy. Good for you! Sometimes we can learn from a bad example of how not to behave.

Yes! A friend and I were beat up once while leaving a restaurant by a very large, wealthy and drunk man because we were lesbians. We took him to court after the DA suddently “dropped” the assault charges (because he was “somebody&rdquo😉, and we lost our civil case because their attorney asked us what was untrue about being called a couple of “lesbian bitches.” It was insult added to injury, added to insult and injury again in a cowtown with a small, conservative and religious mentality.

I am sorry you had to go through such an experience! Thank you for sharing!

Oh yes. I have freckles and used to have buck teeth and poor type clothes as a kid. I was practically bullied. But never as an adult except when after a medication change I gained weight and my ex broke up with me and said "Well you got big". I'm a frigging size 14. Sure extra pounds but not morbidly obese.

That is horrible and I hope he got what he deserved in the end because medication changes can cause weight changes, no amount of medication will stop him from being a douche!

You look pretty in all your pics and super cute with your short hair cut.... I know, you didn't ask... I am just thinking out loud ?

Wth is wrong with some people? Dont listen to whoever said that. They are fundamentally flawed. It isnt true, and is a reflection on themselves.

Absolutely. My ex had issues with my weight, but thought I was okay otherwise. I've since lost 300 lbs, and he was 230 lbs of it.

When I was about 12, a friend and I went to the local fair. We were just walking around, minding our own business. All of a sudden, someone grabbed me from behind, turned me around very quickly, and then told his buddies that I had as many freckles and was as ugly as they had said. Then they ran off.

marga Level 7 Apr 19, 2018

That is harrowing and I am so sorry you had to deal with that! Thank you for sharing your experience and I hope you never had to deal with that ever again!

Grew up hearing it. Now, no one would dare try that shit.
I don't tolerate disrespect, from anyone. If you think you're going to get away
with saying anything like that, to my face, you're in for a big surprise.

People are jerks. I can be a jerk I always feel bad later but that didn't stop me from saying something crass in the first place. I was a chuby some what shy teen and kid's are cruel.The shittiest part is adults are for the most part just as bad or worse. Just by being emotionally stunted and they really don't think about much outside of the immediate and on the other end of the spectrum the people who act as if there 1super pc and liberal when the truth is their just condencending eleteist that aren't as smart as they think.2 the evengelical cristian type that pretty much just talk down to you and go on and on with there quasi conservative views . Jesus loves you but God demands your guilt and suffering. Really it seems much more of a facist right wing conspiracy made to keep the poor subservient to the upper class. Knowledge is power and they don't want the commoners having any of that. Seriously any one with even half a brain in their head knows that literal interpretation of any religion is total bullshit disproven again and again by scientific method and mountains of emperical evidence.They keep on selling it but people keep on buying it.Maybe the vast majority of humanity needs to be controlled and told what to do and how to think. That need to fit in is a primal urge. When your smart that makes you different and it took me a long time to become comfortable with just being who I am. But what would I know I didn't finish college and fuck you I have my mother's thighs ...just leave me alone so I can cry in peace.

Slurs are always about the person who's...slurring. Their insecurities. We all get shit on sometimes. I never was one to hit other people with slurs...until I became a really confident vocal advocate for the underdog, ANY underdog (I go after antisemites and other prejudices). And now it's like I've graduated and I hit bullies below the belt with slurs. It's oddly unsatisfying but they do back down. I'm undecided how to move ahead...

People can be so cruel, you’re far from ugly! I’ve been called names, I just ignore or laugh at them, people tend to get upset if you laugh when they try to bring you down.

Thank you, and yes people can be so cruel! That is my approach typically, just smile, make a stupid face or say something absurd as I laugh and walk away lol

I can relate my friend. I had acne vulgaris as a young man. Slurs like pizzas face were common. I wear a beard ( I'm 70) To hide the acne scares.

My sister has suffered the same condition and she uses copious amounts of makeup to cover the scars because even to this day some asshole will say something to her about it, not always mean but it has been so many times she would rather just not deal with it despite the fact her skin hates the makeup 😟

Fuck off would be my knee jerk reaction. You could say, "I'll pray for you". That would shut it down. ?

I think I would vomit in my mouth a little if I tried to say that lol I try to be kind to everyone, it takes a lot to get me to go off anymore, but if this was 10 years ago you can bet your house I would of said something meme worthy lmao Thanks for the laugh and sharing your perspective!

Being an old fart (70) I can pretty much tell people" fuck off moron" with impunity. 20 years ago I was considered arrogant and opinionated.

I once got called a dirty Jew by my girlfriend's cousin.

That's awkwardly mean, not only is it pathetically tactless, it's mean but in such a childlike way it would have elicited strong laughter from me lol Sorry you had to deal with that though as being called names no matter how childish they are can have effects.

Were you dirty? 🙂

she was my friend and got pissed I was moving out - made up later.

My ex called me a scruffy, fat, lazy bastard who didn't do anything. Does that count? 🙂

I left out smelly 🙂

Yes, plenty in the past.

I've been called many things lol

😟

I, too, have been called many things. My friends call me eccentric. My enemies call me odd. They also call me other things, lol.

I don't care

Look at all these people who came here for verbal abuse!!
???

When I was about five years old, a young Caucasian woman called me a "dirty Mexican" to my face. Her angry hate-filled eyes and blonde hair left an impression I've never forgotten.

I'm sorry that you are still carrying that around.

I am sorry you had to deal with that level of ignorance but as @jioo087 stated, she may be haunted by that as she ages because I have an uncle who is eating a lot of his words as he gets older and he openly admits to how many times he said somethings he wishes he could take back now that he can see them in a different light

@Woodron Well, I'm not hurt anymore, but I've never forgotten. I wonder if and when I might forget.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:61609
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.