Agnostic.com

64 15

Ever been called ugly or some other mean spirited slur to your face?

I got called ugly today and was laughed at pretty hard after it was said. This makes the 5th time in my life someone made sure to let me know what my problem is... Anyone have similar experiences?

MikeMike 5 Apr 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

64 comments (51 - 64)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes when I was younger I would beat the shit out of them. But I have grown out of that kind of reaction. Now I would just laugh at them.

Sounds like you are hanging around some mean-spirited people. Maybe you should try to find a different social scene in which to operate.

I wish it was a social scene issue, but I have no social scene lol This was at work when we all had some down time and were all hanging around talking. But thank you for your perspective and I will be sure to be more mindful of the people around me in all situations!

@jioo087 In my adult life, the closest I ever lived to my parents, sister and cousins was 130 miles awayles away, and for many years from 1.100 to 1.300 miles away. I never wanted to live where I grew up.

I was teased a lot in school for my appearance. I guess I've been lucky as an adult to not hear any negative comments about my looks.

I have noticed being teased as a child or some form of childhood ridicule is one of the most common occurrences among all of us who have shared our experiences

Thank you for sharing your experience

I would hardly call ugly a slur. Just let that kinda thing roll off if it comes from anyone whose opinion you don't value

Fat, gross, ugly, pig. (that I was carrying a small Vietnamese child on my body) I mean no offense, and apologize for that horrifically racist comment. I needed to give the full picture. This abuse was relentless. All of this from my last boyfriend.

I have been big my whole life, so it’s been a lifetime of bullying and taunting.

3 years ago I lost a lot of weight, and by a lot I mean 175 lbs. lost. He met me right after that time. I’m not sure why he was even interested. Although I was at the top of my confidence level. Bottom line ,it was not enough weight loss for him. That’s why I make the fact known I am a BBW in my profile. I am working on feeling good about me again. I am probably never going to be skinny. So if any men or women here are truly interested. I come as is. I’m a pretty cool chick. Interesting, intelligent, creative, fun, and sexy if I must say so myself. ?

People can be cruel. I got a feeling that they are unhappy with their lives. People who respect themselves and are confident don't feel a need to hurt others. I have been insulted and ridiculed so much - in my days of youth, I actually wrote down every nice thing anyone ever said to me and took it out and read it when I got hostile comments. I don't have to do that anymore, but I still feel irritated when someone says awful things to me. Will be a nicer world when people do not feel a need to make someone feel small.

SKH78 Level 8 Apr 23, 2018

I am obese. If I had just one dollar for every time I have been called a "fat ugly bitch" I would be a rich woman. I have had self righteous arrogant people tell me that fat people use too many health care dollars. They seem to forget that slender people who abuse booze, drugs, cigarrettes, or who have a compulsive habit like stealing, gambling, child molesting, or beating people - they cost the system lots of money too.

SKH78 Level 8 Apr 22, 2018

Not to my face since middle-school for the most part. I've been a near lifelong activist for Progressive causes, so there have been a few verbal arrows from time to time from those with few debaring skills...or facts.
Most women get called really horrible things every damned day on social media.
But that's not to the face.

But what do you do when the one killing your self esteem is yourself?

I don't have an answer. We live an ephemeral life in the speck of the universe. There are great many things to experience in the time we have. I was ridiculed for the color of my skin my entire life by freaking brown people. It's hilarious but that's part of the reason why I had lower self esteem. But I realized I was defining myself by someone else's standard. It's just as bad as worrying about belonging to a lower caste. I can't escape people's judgement. I can only let myself define what I am worth. You have an amazing skill to write something that could really influence people's lives. I don't necessarily care about the rest.

I was called a <n word> lover by my own father after trying to talk to him about his racism. I was 17 or so at the time.

Ohub Level 7 June 12, 2018

Being a almost "professional" immigrant (us is the 4th country where I have lived at least 10 years) I've been called everything you might imagine - and some more.

legna Level 4 June 12, 2018

Sure. I just say "Thanks, Captain Obvious."

Of course ! Who hasn't?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:61609
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.